SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Denver

runaroundsioux

1 hour ago, Goon said:

The officiating crew in this series was horrendous. If anyone noticed, Todd Anderson didn't ref this past weekend. Probably got himself a week's vacation for his officiating last weekend. This weekend's crew should get the same treatment. 

NCHC is in a terrible spot with their official reviews.....they need to have a crew in the main office like the NHL that handles all reviews because it's a tragedy right now.  

Denver vs. CC a few weeks ago at Magness Luko scores one intentionally redirected off his glove and in the net.  Doesn't get reviewed.....Mismash gets his knee blown up.....doesn't get reviewed.....

Has a review at Magness ever went the way of UND?  

At least the league office gets to apologize to us again.  So we really get two points out of this weekend!!!

Not only do we not have a Freshman in the top 50 in NCAA freshman scoring in the country, we don't have anyone in any class in the overall top 50 in scoring.  Left to his own devices, Berry, in three short years, has given us the most punchless Sioux team of all time and perhaps the most offensively challenged team from a major program ever.  Only three possible reasons - a total breakdown of evaluation of talent and recruiting; system, system, system; or a total cosmic plot against us involving puck luck, refs, goal posts, and bad ice.  He has had 3 classes and brought in no scorers - none.  It's not just the infamous Junior class, it's all classes he has brought in.  How low are we willing to sink before action is taken.  It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish said:

Not only do we not have a Freshman in the top 50 in NCAA scoring in the country, we don't have anyone in any class in the overall top 50 in scoring.  Left to his own devices, Berry, in three short years, has given us the most punchless Sioux team of all time and perhaps the most offensively challenged team from a major program ever.  Only three possible reasons - a total breakdown of evaluation of talent and recruiting; system, system, system; or a total cosmic plot against us involving puck luck, refs, goal posts, and bad ice.  He has had 3 classes and brought in no scorers - none.  It's not just the infamous Junior class, it's all classes he has brought in.  How low are we willing to sink before action is taken.  It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

You mean to tell me a line with Johnson-Weatherby-Yon doesn’t work for you? In all seriousness I feel terrible for a guy like Weatherby or anybody for that matter that gets stuck on that line. I don’t disagree with much of what you just said but I think your being a little hard on the Sophs/freshies. Just look at the juniors/seniors that they get paired with and that’s the more telling part to this season.

Kawaguchi and Weatherby tore up the BCHL and yes I know it’s not as tough A league as the USHL but please those guys should be able to score ten goals and put 25-30 points up, something is rotten in the Hawks nest.i also ask why is Gardner a top six, should be centering the third/ checking line, he dies nothing as far as bringing offense, but face offs and defense he is at his best.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SiouxCrioux1 said:

You mean to tell me a line with Johnson-Weatherby-Yon doesn’t work for you? In all seriousness I feel terrible for a guy like Weatherby or anybody for that matter that gets stuck on that line. I don’t disagree with much of what you just said but I think your being a little hard on the Sophs/freshies. Just look at the juniors/seniors that they get paired with and that’s the more telling part to this season.

I can't believe that's an actual line.....and it says more about our struggles offensively that they were the only group to put a puck in the net.

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

Penalties are often the result of competing hard- i never get too worked up about them.  

Forgive me for being obvious, but the gap on this year's team is offensive creativity.  Forwards are playing really good structure, but sometimes to score, you need a license to be creative outside that structure.  They are clearly coached to prevent opportunities against vs to create opportunities for on 5x5...which is a recipe for winning if you have great team speed for the transition game and a great power play.  We do not have either.  

i was always coached that in the O zone you need to beat a guy 1:1, and once you do that the whole O zone is now full of odd-man opportunities to create something.  

Regarding draft picks, the difference in talent level between a 4-6th rounder vs Undrafted is marginal at best- somebody in the drafting organization saw something that might be useful in a depth or situational player and therefor it is worth taking a flyer on them in case they grow up to be Joe Pavelski.  First rounders are the ones with elite skill.  

Been awhile since I posted- the personal haters drove me off.

Good stuff.

Welcome back.

35 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Kawaguchi and Weatherby tore up the BCHL and yes I know it’s not as tough A league as the USHL but please those guys should be able to score ten goals and put 25-30 points up, something is rotten in the Hawks nest.i also ask why is Gardner a top six, should be centering the third/ checking line, he dies nothing as far as bringing offense, but face offs and defense he is at his best.

BCHL is not as strong as USHL

apologies- must've read that wrong the first time

30 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I get your point, but 25-30 points is a stretch.  That was be awesome.

What is ward doing for Omaha, he enever came close to putting up the kind of numbers those two boys did.

Good example maybe it’s not the players but the restraints put on the by Berry’s coaching, seems like D men flourish but forwards flounder, the offense should not always start at the blue line. Berry is in love with grinders on the front line , ie Simonson-Olson- Smith last year and Gardner this year, they have their place just not top six.

The puck possession, high structure mantra works- if, as I said before, you have horses for transition and a deadly pp.   We just don't this year.  Great system if you add the line Schmaltz, Jewels, and Boeser...who will pop 2-3 on the rush or pp/game...just don't have that this year

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

The puck possession, high structure mantra works- if, as I said before, you have horses for transition and a deadly pp.   We just don't this year.  Great system if you add the line Schmaltz, Jewels, and Boeser...who will pop 2-3 on the rush or pp/game...just don't have that this year

God I've missed your input.....

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Fair enough on the penalties and I agree on the systems holding players back. That’s is why a lot of us are calling for a change in coaching. We have seen this for 2 plus years and Berry doesn’t seem to want to change his process. 

Did the system hold them back the year they won the banner?

Great post @yzerman19.

Ultimately, it falls on the coaching staff to bring in the right players for this system to work, but I agree that their current system can be effective. 

My overall statement with the coaching staff would be, a college hockey coach at UND is a results driven profession. It's wins and losses, not about morale victories or excuses. No, I don't think that missing the NCAA tournament two years in a row (if that happens) is acceptable. I am frustrated and definitely get the frustration. Where I'll end of disagreeing with a lot of you, is I don't think this team is far off from being a really good team. I get why some are skeptical, but it would only take a slight uptick in offense to really turn their record around. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Thanks for your expert analysis - truly appreciated.  Here's what us more emotional, less analytical fans see - A once mighty program (most feel the best in the country) driven straight into the ditch a short 3 years after a Championship.  Berry has given us perhaps the most unwatchable team I have ever seen in my 50 years as a Sioux fan.  Whether it is poor recruiting, the system, or some combo the fact remains what we are doing isn't working.  And all we get from Berry is no change on the ice and some of the most bland, boring, least informative coach speak repeated over and over.  No indication of any changes.  There is absolutely no reason - none - that our program should have sunk so low that 1 or 2 goals a weekend is the new norm.  Something needs to happen and if we are not willing to change coaches then the Coach has to change.  We are frustrated and this board seems like our only outlet or chance for input.  This is not a temporary anomaly, but the new norm.  If you can see why the "system" isn't working why can't a coaching staff with NHL experience see the same.  This smacks of stubborness and inflexibility.  We have enough grinders - we need some studs.

I'd hypothesize that the staff is well aware of the lack of forward speed and offensive punch.  One contrarian viewpoint is that maybe this is the best system given the composition of the team...yes it sucks losing 2-1, but imagine if it was 6-2, 7-3 regularly?  

Consider this...maybe we are overachieving Based on the composition of this year's team?

• Upvote 3