SiouxSports.com Forum

Pairwise 2018-19

southpaw

Very frustrating team and I am sure the players and coaches are frustrated too.  Just can't seem to catch a break.  High NHL draft picks like Mismash and Hain should be scoring more than they are at this point in their college careers.  Mismash's accuracy seems to be lacking and Hain for the most part is not in the action.  Keane looks like a very solid player for the future.  We have excellent skaters and can skate with anybody, however finishing the opportunities has just not been there all year.  I do believe that if we had somebody like a Kristo, Boeser, Caggiula in the lineup it would put less pressure on the rest of the roster.  Allowing teams to charge back into games after getting 2 goal leads lately is alarming. 

4 minutes ago, fsioux said:

Very frustrating team and I am sure the players and coaches are frustrated too.  Just can't seem to catch a break.  High NHL draft picks like Mismash and Hain should be scoring more than they are at this point in their college careers.  Mismash's accuracy seems to be lacking and Hain for the most part is not in the action.  Keane looks like a very solid player for the future.  We have excellent skaters and can skate with anybody, however finishing the opportunities has just not been there all year.  I do believe that if we had somebody like a Kristo, Boeser, Caggiula in the lineup it would put less pressure on the rest of the roster.  Allowing teams to charge back into games after getting 2 goal leads lately is alarming. 

i think the  comeback started about two minutes after the announcers essentially saying the UND was "playing not lose" and "making omaha go 200 feet on each posession"...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fsioux said:

Hain? He's a freshman 6th round pick. After the 2nd round you may as well be undrafted. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I’m responding to Rebel_Sioux’s -1...

Seems a little petty...I disliked you pessimism of giving up now and focusing on next year.

I actually prefer the green jerseys...but the white is always classic and my wife rocks her black jersey so really the color is moot. I'd even cheer for us if we wore the rarely seen school color pink, in October of course. 

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Hain? He's a freshman 6th round pick. After the 2nd round you may as well be undrafted. 

Point with Hain is that why did they bring him in so young?  They must have believed that he was ready but looks to me he could have used additional development time. 

4 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Seems a little petty...I disliked you pessimism of giving up now and focusing on next year.

I actually prefer the green jerseys...but the white is always classic and my wife rocks her black jersey so really the color is moot. I'd even cheer for us if we wore the rarely seen school color pink, in October of course. 

Fair enough, however, this team is what it is at this point, and at best, it’s .500.  To expect NoDak to sweep St Cloud, UMD, Denver, and Western Michigan based upon the body of work we have witnessed so far this season is simply not being realistic.  The black jerseys have become a farce — and to break them out again this year shows further desperation.  

I prefer the greens as well anyways.  Put away the blacks for a while.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Will a 5-3 record over the next eight games get us to a top 16 pair wise ranking?

Splitting with 3 teams and sweeping 1 would put them at 11.  That doesn't account for any other games in the nation however. It doesn't look like it mattered who they swept it put them at 11 each time.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, R_Schneider_4 said:

Splitting with 3 teams and sweeping 1 would put them at 11.  That doesn't account for any other games in the nation however. It doesn't look like it mattered who they swept it put them at 11 each time.

Thanks

i think we have a fighting chance to do this. The interesting part of all of this is most, understandably so, don’t think we can. Chances are we can’t but we have shown we are capable at times. 

Cross your fingers and let’s do this!

• Upvote 1

On 1/20/2019 at 8:12 AM, UNDBIZ said:

Missed every year from 1990-91 through 1995-96. Should note only 12 teams made it back then. 

How many teams would the tournament need before our '91-'92, '92-'93 and '93-'94 teams would have made it, teams that finished 7th, 8th and 8th respectively in the old WCHA?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SJHovey said:

How many teams would the tournament need before our '91-'92, '92-'93 and '93-'94 teams would have made it, teams that finished 7th, 8th and 8th respectively in the old WCHA?

No clue.  I didn't look at the specific records of those teams, so figured it was best to put a disclaimer in there.  Also, a couple of our Hak teams probably wouldn't have made it under the old format.  2014 for sure and possibly 2007.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

No clue.  I didn't look at the specific records of those teams, so figured it was best to put a disclaimer in there.  Also, a couple of our Hak teams probably wouldn't have made it under the old format.  2014 for sure and possibly 2007.

I understand.  I was just being a smartazz because those teams I listed were truly awful and we'd probably have needed about a 32 team field minimum for them to get in.

I still don't think this year's team faces an insurmountable hurdle.  22 wins by the time the Frozen Faceoff is over and this team will be in, unless there are just crazy upsets in the other playoffs resulting in a lot of autobids going to teams outside the pairwise top 16.  22 teams in a league like the NCHC will pretty much always lock you in.  We have 12 now.  We might even get in with 21.

I still think this team needs to go 7-5 the rest of the regular season, win the first round of the playoffs and win one of two games in St. Paul.  That's not impossible, or even that unrealistic for this team.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I understand.  I was just being a smartazz because those teams I listed were truly awful and we'd probably have needed about a 32 team field minimum for them to get in.

I still don't think this year's team faces an insurmountable hurdle.  22 wins by the time the Frozen Faceoff is over and this team will be in, unless there are just crazy upsets in the other playoffs resulting in a lot of autobids going to teams outside the pairwise top 16.  22 teams in a league like the NCHC will pretty much always lock you in.  We have 12 now.  We might even get in with 21.

I still think this team needs to go 7-5 the rest of the regular season, win the first round of the playoffs and win one of two games in St. Paul.  That's not impossible, or even that unrealistic for this team.

Not impossible but a pretty tall order. They'll be lucky to steal one from St. Cloud, I can see a split with Denver, then splitting with WMU in their house will be tough but realistic, then I'd be blown away if they were able to even tie with UMD. Omaha and CC are absolute must sweeps. Throw in ties instead of Ws and their chances shrink even more. 

My guess is 4--7-1 through this stretch and it'll be win the NCHC tourney or bust. 

5 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Not impossible but a pretty tall order. They'll be lucky to steal one from St. Cloud, I can see a split with Denver, then splitting with WMU in their house will be tough but realistic, then I'd be blown away if they were able to even tie with UMD. Omaha and CC are absolute must sweeps. Throw in ties instead of Ws and their chances shrink even more. 

My guess is 4--7-1 through this stretch and it'll be win the NCHC tourney or bust. 

Did Duluth get way better since December 1 or are we way worse?

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

If this team has done anything though it has been to play to its competition.  Thus, I expect at least one if not two close games in each of the four series coming up, and there is certainly no reason why they can't steal a game in each instance.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

If this team has done anything though it has been to play to its competition.  Thus, I expect at least one if not two close games in each of the four series coming up, and there is certainly no reason why they can't steal a game in each instance.

As an analytics guy (:D), I also don't think it's crazy to think we can get an extra bounce or two a game to get some wins.