SiouxSports.com Forum

MJHL to be in Grand Forks next year

gfhockey

46 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

All good high school playas in forks to play in it

instead of aaa team this was next best option I’ve been told. Damn I love coffee at the longhaul 

So you listened to Tim Hennessey with Wayne Nelson on this morning as well, saying that Brad Schlossman will have a big article on it in the paper tomorrow?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Wow strong possibility of this. 

That would be very interesting.  It would give some higher end kids some options.  However in the long run I don't believe it solves anything related to U16 and some U18 players looking for the next jump.  If this team is created they will start pulling kids from all over.  GF HS kids (coming off an aviator season will still explore Tier 1 options like the SF Power, etc.). 

It is a step in the right direction though.

4 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

That would be very interesting.  It would give some higher end kids some options.  However in the long run I don't believe it solves anything related to U16 and some U18 players looking for the next jump.  If this team is created they will start pulling kids from all over.  GF HS kids (coming off an aviator season will still explore Tier 1 options like the SF Power, etc.). 

It is a step in the right direction though.

not sure its the "right" direction... but ND high School hockey is a sick animal that is not getting better, and the next few years of debate of "diluting talent/more teams=more opportunity" is not going to help. Its been proven thatvthe NDHSAA is not too interested in proactive approaches to bettering the environment. 

I see not only more of the top end talent dissapateing but also parents pushing their mediocrely talented (but still totally making the NHL)  kids away from home into more "junior" options.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

not sure its the "right" direction... but ND high School hockey is a sick animal that is not getting better, and the next few years of debate of "diluting talent/more teams=more opportunity" is not going to help. Its been proven thatvthe NDHSAA is not too interested in proactive approaches to bettering the environment. 

I see not only more of the top end talent dissapateing but also parents pushing their mediocrely talented (but still totally making the NHL)  kids away from home into more "junior" options.

This.  Alot of parents out there don't realize that you don't get those last few years of your kids being at home back.  If your kid is one of the 1-2 truly elite kids in town for their age then send them to a better team.  But for every one of those cases, there are 10 that sent their fringe talented kid to some obscure second/third tier junior team to have some other family finish raising them where they burn out long before any college comes looking for them.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:25 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

The difference between junior hockey and ND high school hockey is huge.  I still believe GF (and other higher end kids) will end up playing tier 1.  GF should have explored that option....or at least got serious about it.

Would someone bring me up to speed on this? Does this mean that high school kids would stay in their existing school but just not play hockey for that school? They would play for this league instead. Would they be able to go back and forth the next year if they changed their mind? Would it affect playing for other sports at their high school?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Would someone bring me up to speed on this? Does this mean that high school kids would stay in their existing school but just not play hockey for that school? They would play for this league instead. Would they be able to go back and forth the next year if they changed their mind? Would it affect playing for other sports at their high school?

Thanks in advance.

Sure, but the kids would have to be good enough.  It's not like this team will be full of GF kids.  Not saying you were insinuating this, but I've spoken to some folks who think the entire team will be GF kids.  The MJ is a normal Junior A league, given ND HS hockey is set up so odd, kids cannot go back and forth. 

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Sure, but the kids would have to be good enough.  It's not like this team will be full of GF kids.  Not saying you were insinuating this, but I've spoken to some folks who think the entire team will be GF kids.  The MJ is a normal Junior A league, given ND HS hockey is set up so odd, kids cannot go back and forth. 

Thanks scpa - My understanding is that this league has been around for a while and some kids are already playing for the league. Just having it Grand Forks might entice a few more to go for it, but as you say, there would be tryouts and everyone wouldn't make it. 

Again, pardon my ignorance, but is there some sort of draft system? Can kids get traded? Or, do kids get to choose which team they would like to tryout for and then they are with the team for the year - or can they be released?

Just now, SiouxFan100 said:

Thanks scpa - My understanding is that this league has been around for a while and some kids are already playing for the league. Just having it Grand Forks might entice a few more to go for it, but as you say, there would be tryouts and everyone wouldn't make it. 

Again, pardon my ignorance, but is there some sort of draft system? Can kids get traded? Or, do kids get to choose which team they would like to tryout for and then they are with the team for the year - or can they be released?

I'm sure there is some sort of draft.  The MJ is definitely a lower Canadian junior A league so it would be easier for local kids to make the team.  But I'm sure they'll have a ton of competition with Twin City kids trying out as well.  I saw the regions they can pick from and it's pretty vast.  Sure, kid could get traded.

Since no one has posted the article yet:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4549537-could-mjhl-team-come-grand-forks

The Grand Forks team would be primarily made up of players from North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota and Colorado. At least 17 skaters and two goalies would have to come from those states, according to the proposal.

Most likely the players would mostly be local from ND and MN. As the team would be limited to how many Canadians it can have.

On 12/30/2018 at 6:52 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

HOPE Church. They’ll play at the Grand Cities K-Mart (RIP) Compoud, and the goal lamps will be blue. Parking will be plentiful, and there’s already a lounge and skate sharpening on-site.

Would Purpur let them sell alcohol at games?

Thief River Falls SIJHL attendance, in a supposedly similar league.  http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=11779

As far as rosters go, this team may be similar to Thief River.  67 all time players so far - 5 have moved on to D3 schools, but many are still with the team or played only a handful of games. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/display_players.php?tmi=11779

Number of players from notable home towns:

7 Thief River

5 Grand Forks

2 Grafton

3 Rosau

2 Minot

1 Bismark

3 Colorado Springs

PS: Anyone know how to change the double space auto formatting?  Don't see the option anywhere.

43 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

PS: Anyone know how to change the double space auto formatting?  Don't see the option anywhere.

If I type this and hit 'return'

it goes here.

If I type this but hit 'shift' and 'return' at the same time 
it goes here. 

Is that what you mean? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2