SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 World Juniors

sioux rube

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This. Last time around I recall embarrassingly empty arenas. I would be shocked if the IIHF wants to relive that.

That's not a problem exclusive to Buffalo...a lot of this is the result of Hockey Canada and their price-gouging of attendees.  

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/world-junior-2015--empty-seats-in-montreal-reflection-that-hockey-canada--iihf-overshot-their-target-012622485.html

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/world-junior-tournament-montreal-1.3919781

6 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Because, much like everything else nowadays, this revolves around $$$ -- and the IIHF sees green every time this tournament is held in Canada.  It's a mandate now -- the tournament is held every other year in Canada.  And in certain off-years, it's held in Buffalo, which may as well be in Canada.  

Or a decade ago (?) when it was in GF which may as well be in Canada...Any way that can happen again?

13 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Or a decade ago (?) when it was in GF which may as well be in Canada...Any way that can happen again?

I would love for the Ralph, MTS, USA Hockey, and Hockey Canada to work together to host the tournament in Grand Forks and Winnipeg.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Is the captain of the Canadian team also the captain of their Olympic diving team?

I loved what one of the Russians were quoted about Comtois (before the tourney), comparing him to a soccer player rather than a hockey player.  He is too good of a talent to do what he is doing, and even the Canadian announcers were a little tongue tied on a couple of his antics.  I think you will see a different Comtois in the quarters, and it will be interesting to see how focused they are.  If the US gets both Hughes brothers going, and stop the D Hughes from trying to do too much, it will be a great Canada- US game for the gold.

1 hour ago, KSSioux said:

I loved what one of the Russians were quoted about Comtois (before the tourney), comparing him to a soccer player rather than a hockey player.  He is too good of a talent to do what he is doing, and even the Canadian announcers were a little tongue tied on a couple of his antics.  I think you will see a different Comtois in the quarters, and it will be interesting to see how focused they are.  If the US gets both Hughes brothers going, and stop the D Hughes from trying to do too much, it will be a great Canada- US game for the gold.

He got crosschecked and went down like a sack of potatoes and acted like he broke his arm. 

1 hour ago, KSSioux said:

I know right?!?  I have watched every game and as much as I am blown away by his skating and vision, it seems as though he is constantly making mistakes (some which has cost the team big time).

21 hours ago, cberkas said:

Switzerland got awarded 2 penalty shots on the same play, that’s crazy.

That was certainly odd.  I thought the first shouldn't be a penalty shot as it didn't take away the scoring chance.  The guy still has a breakaway after the first trip.  The second trip was the one that ended up taking away the scoring chance.

14 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

That was certainly odd.  I thought the first shouldn't be a penalty shot as it didn't take away the scoring chance.  The guy still has a breakaway after the first trip.  The second trip was the one that ended up taking away the scoring chance.

In the first one he took his legs away. The second I thought was more of a penalty.