Golladay-99 catches or 11.9 % of UND total
Golladay - 9 TD or 1.09% per UND throw
Golladay -1313 yds or 1.59 yds per UND throw
Wanzek first 2 years
UND threw 620 times
Wanzek- 77 catches or 12.42% of UND total
Wanzek- 8 TD or 1.29% per UND throw
Wanzek- 1015 yds or 1.64 yds per UND throw

These numbers are skewed if one is trying to evaluate talent. UND threw the ball way more than they do now when Golladay was on the team (2012-2103), as evidenced by throws & catches. Hardin was on the team getting catches also. Additionally, UND had no running game with those Muss teams and threw short passes to make up for no running game. 

If Golladay had stayed for his junior and senior season ... well, WATCH OUT! 

Point is Golladay was and is way more talented than Wanzek. Wanzek is a good player for UND but to say he is even with Golladay, who is currently starting in the NFL, is just absurd.

As I said, UND needs more guys like Golladay and Hardin on their team. After Wanzek and Maag, UND’s receivers are not talented enough. In their defense, though, they are not often put in good situations by Rudolph. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Montana gave UND a 28 point lead by dropping the ball constantly for no reason. UND hasn't dominated any opponent this year, including Mississippi Valley State,

I'm a big fan of UND and I ain't against bashing them at all but one can play your game all day and you can spin it any way you want but the Sioux kicked Montana, plain and simple. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

These numbers are skewed if one is trying to evaluate talent. UND threw the ball way more than they do now when Golladay was on the team (2012-2103), as evidenced by throws & catches. Hardin was on the team getting catches also. Additionally, UND had no running game with those Muss teams and threw short passes to make up for no running game. 

Point is Golladay was and is way more talented than Wanzek. Wanzek is a good player for UND but to say he is even with Golladay, who is currently starting in the NFL, is just absurd.

As I said, UND needs more guys like Golladay and Hardin on their team. After Wanzek and Maag, UND’s receivers are not talented enough. In their defense, though, they are not often put in good situations by Rudolph. 

Golladay 2 years 

UND had 507 completions amongst 14 different receivers
Golladay 99/507=19.53%  of completions
Wanzek 2 years
UND had 348 completions amongst 14 different receivers
Wanzek 77/348=22.13%  of completions 
I’m just stating facts 
Someone mentioned our receivers are horrible. If you throw 207  more times, like Golladay years,  there stats’s would be right up there.   And our # 2,3 & 4 receivers are out yesterday. That has an impact on the game. I’m not implying anything more than that. And I’m not the one who brought Golladay comparison up.  Others did. I’m Just stating facts. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If Golladay had stayed for his junior and senior seasons and played in Rudy's offense, would he have even been given a shot in the NFL?

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, The Fan said:

Golladay 2 years 

UND had 507 completions amongst 14 different receivers
Golladay 99/507=19.53%  of completions
Wanzek 2 years
UND had 348 completions amongst 14 different receivers
Wanzek 77/348=22.13%  of completions 
I’m just stating facts 
Someone mentioned our receivers are horrible. If you throw 207  more times, like Golladay years,  there stats’s would be right up there.   And our # 2,3 & 4 receivers are out yesterday. That has an impact on the game. I’m not implying anything more than that. And I’m not the one who brought Golladay comparison up.  Others did. I’m Just stating facts. 

You must be new here. ( ;  

No. 1 rule of Sioux Sports: the injury “excuse” can only be applied when it pertains to our opponents* when we beat them. ACCEPTED USAGE ADDENDUM: It can be used by our own fan base ONLY when referencing that we beat a team that was missing its star players; it can also be used by the vanqished teams’ representatives, stakeholders and fan bases to defend their teams’ ineptness, and/or it can be used by trolling instigators from third party rival fan bases to water down the value of a Hawks victory.

It can NEVER be used by our own fan base to add context to a loss.  Such usage is usually followed by snarky retorts to the tune of “should have had more depth, then ... horrible recruiting.”

Other teams are never expected to overcome injuries with depth if we beat them.  The injury excuse works fine for them. Prple 

* Mainly pertains to FB and BB program opponents. 

Just thought you should know. 

Signed,

MGMT wannabe

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

You must be new here. ( ;  

No. 1 rule of Sioux Sports: the injury “excuse” can only be applied when it pertains to our opponents*, when we beat them. ACCEPTED USAGE ADDENDUM: It can be used by our own fan base, the vanqished teams’ representatives, stakeholders and fan bases and/or trolling instigators from third party rival fan bases. 

* Mainly pertains to FB and BB program opponents. 

Just thought you should know. 

Signed,

MGMT wannabe

Yes, I am new enough to not know that I broke the rules!  My two oldest children are Sioux graduates.  I should’ve asked them first   Sorry. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

If Golladay had stayed for his junior and senior seasons and played in Rudy's offense, would he have even been given a shot in the NFL?

During his junior and senior seasons, Golladay was far more talented than any receiver Rudolph has ever had at his disposal. 

But yes, he almost certainly would’ve had limited touches at UND in Rudolph’s archaic offense. 

On 11/10/2018 at 9:18 PM, nd1sufan said:

We will see if they can get the "huge win" next week at UNA like the UND360 guys said on the radio today. Because as they said, nobody beats UNA in Flagstaff. That would be big for the UND resume, beating that UNA team that lost 40-8 to Missouri State this year. 

If the Hawks pull it off, we'll all look forward to your comments praising them for the win...

On 11/10/2018 at 2:29 PM, Sioux94 said:

NDSU TE's with two receptions and a TD in first quarter of their game.  (Note - on a guys weekend with 2 NDSU grads so we are following both - normally I wouldn't know what NDSU was doing)  I was telling them how we never use TE's. 

This! I know I'm a broken record on this but seriously - is not throwing to the TE one of the most fundamental ways to give a sputtering offense a boost? Fiedler had one ball - it went for about 15 and a 1st down. Cloyd got zero targets. Can someone smarter than me (shouldn't be hard to find) explain this to me?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

This! I know I'm a broken record on this but seriously - is not throwing to the TE one of the most fundamental ways to give a sputtering offense a boost? Fiedler had one ball - it went for about 15 and a 1st down. Cloyd got zero targets. Can someone smarter than me (shouldn't be hard to find) explain this to me?

It’s horrible offensive coaching, that’s all there is to it.

It’s especially bad with the lack of receiver depth and current receiver injuries; use Fiedler and Cloyd as a mismatch against linebackers and safeties on early downs (1st and 2nd down)!!

The tight ends and fullbacks as a group should be getting at least a few catches every single game. But they don’t even get targeted. Is it a coincidence their position coach is our good friend Kostich?

I also wouldn’t make a big deal of this if the UND offense could consistently move the ball and score touchdowns, but they can’t.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It’s horrible offensive coaching, that’s all there is to it.

It’s especially bad with the lack of receiver depth and current receiver injuries; use Fiedler and Cloyd as a mismatch against linebackers and safeties on early downs (1st and 2nd down)!!

The tight ends and fullbacks as a group should be getting at least a few catches every single game. But they don’t even get targeted ...

I also wouldn’t make a big deal of this if the UND offense could consistently move the ball and score touchdowns, but they can’t.

Running backs too. We've been so successful on passes to Brady O, but only do it a few times a year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

You would think that with the depleted WR core, an offensive coordinator would open up the playbook with more throws to TE's and RB's. I know this has been echo'ed here but it's crazy to me that this is not happening.

It should be happening even if the receiving corps wasn’t depleted.

Play-action to tight ends and fullbacks is a staple of run heavy pro style offense. See NDSU offense, Wisconsin offense, Iowa offense, etc.

UND’s steady running game on early downs naturally sets up play-action to tight ends and fullbacks. Also, as @UNDBIZ mentioned, running back screens and routes out of backfield need to be better utilized too. 

Tough to watch this offense when talented players currently on the team are being overlooked. 

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It should be happening even if the receiving corps wasn’t depleted.

Play-action to tight ends and fullbacks is a staple of run heavy pro style offense. See NDSU offense, Wisconsin offense, Iowa offense, etc.

UND’s steady running game on early downs naturally sets up play-action to tight ends and fullbacks. Also, as @UNDBIZ mentioned, running back screens and routes out of backfield need to be better utilized too. 

Tough to watch this offense when talented players currently on the team are being overlooked. 

I agree 100%.  Saturday's game was incredibly frustrating. The one time they threw to a TE it was a big gainer, first down.

7 hours ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

I agree. The TEs on this team are highly underutilized. They have good hands and size so use them. Fiedler dislocated his right wrist on that play.  MRI tonight. Hoping for the best as he is needed in the run game for a possible playoff run. Doughtful this weekend. Hope not broken but swollen bad. 

2 hours ago, Feff said:

On obvious passing downs, has anyone noticed if we ever leak the running backs out after the initial look to block? I can't recall ever seeing it happen. 

Kettringham can only throw to the guy he watches leave the huddle. There is no one following the "initial look"

• Upvote 1