SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Portland State Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

We run a high school offense. 

This is an understatement.

I’m beyond happy for the seniors that UND won today.

Also happy that UND got some breaks with many top 25 teams losing; this provides UND with still a chance to make playoffs. Just remember 2015 ... it won’t break your heart so much then when the committee again screws us.

Most importantly, UND looked so unmotivated out there against an average at best Portland State team. If you want to defend PSU as a good team, get out. This just doesn’t bode well for immediate future.

UND’s offense is so bad. Same narrative as last week, and week before, and before, etc. Once again there were no screens, no play-action shots, no bootlegs or rollouts, etc. Fiedler got one throw and was impressive with YAC. No more TE catches after that ...

UND runs same crap every third and long (trips bunch) and mostly it’s junk. UND won but it would’ve been put away if they could’ve scored from red zone ... they couldn’t. Doesn’t say much for Bubba and Rudolph’s “smart and physical” team. 

Lots of work to do. 

Still want to see new offensive and special teams coordinators after this season. Schmidt struggled getting a spy look called today too. Damn.

On to Northern Arizona University. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Kett gets away with another pick on a throw off his back foot. 

Kettingham hasn’t played well of late, but the lack of quality coaching for the QBs (and offense as a whole) is blatant.

Rudolph isn’t on the sideline. Plus Rudolph’s calls are some of the most unfriendly calls for QBs I’ve ever seen. Constantly put in difficult spots (3rd and long) and asked to drop back and throw to horrible receivers. How about throw some screens or play-action or run-pass options on 1st and 2nd down? 

UND runs an offense from 1950 during a modern era of innovative offensive football.

I didn't see the game last week, but was the OLine this bad last week? This is a huge regression from early in the year. Kett looked out of sorts all day. Bad decisions with some bad passes. Yes he was rushed and a couple times didn't even get to look at a receiver as the D was on him so fast. Still needs to do better, though.

2 hours ago, westsidesioux said:

Not sure who deserves to be fired more, Rudolph or whoever is playing the music in the Alerus...yikes. Fire up the band permanently. 

The timing of the music being played is horrible. Absolutely horrible.

UND is supposed to have a homefield advantage. Why boom the music when UND is in the huddle? Damn for dumb ...

• Upvote 1

Next week's game isn't just for a "shot at the playoffs" but will also help next year's preseason polls. The bottom teams in the polls are all so comparable it'd be nice not to always have to climb from the bottom.

Luckily the win vs Sam Houston this year vaulted UND upwards pretty quick from the 3-8 finish last year.

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Kettingham hasn’t played well of late, but the lack of quality coaching for the QBs (and offense as a whole) is blatant.

Rudolph isn’t on the sideline. Plus Rudolph’s calls are some of the most unfriendly calls for QBs I’ve ever seen. Constantly put in difficulty spots (3rd and long) and asked to drop back and throw to horrible receivers. How about throw some screens or play-action or run-pass options on 1st and 2nd down? 

UND runs an offense from 1950 during an era of offensive football.

I don't think our receivers are "horrible." Agreed on Rudy being terrible. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I don't think our receivers are "horrible." Agreed on Rudy being terrible. 

Okay, I’ll take that as too harsh; they are average at best. Wanzek and Maag are okay but there isn’t much after that.

In general, they can’t get separation. Most BSC teams have far better talent at WR. UND’s guys are too slow. For as much crap as UND’s QBs get, can you imagine how improved they would look with fast receivers getting separation downfield? Remember Clive Georges in this offense? UND needs better (faster; more pure talent) receivers as well as better scheme/play calling. 

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The starters were pulling down everything there for awhile. Them and RBs have been some of the bright spots.

Again, you have to look around the country at the average FCS receiver. UND needs receivers capable of going 50+. UND doesn’t have that and needs it with how anemic the offense is.

UND isn’t explosive enough in scheme to have only possession receivers that can’t scare the coverage deep. The receivers on this team aren’t able to make plays downfield.

Maag and Wanzek are fair but are not the complete package like Kenny Golladay and Greg Hardin were. 

18 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Next week's game isn't just for a "shot at the playoffs" but will also help next year's preseason polls. The bottom teams in the polls are all so comparable it'd be nice not to always have to climb from the bottom.

Luckily the win vs Sam Houston this year vaulted UND upwards pretty quick from the 3-8 finish last year.

I’d like to see UND have a team that could actually win a playoff game, though.

Current coaching arrangement for UND completely limits their ability to win against good playoff-caliber teams. 

You won’t see the Northern Colorados and Portland States of the world in the playoffs.

The OL was absolutely atrocious today. When we needed a yard or two we got stuffed consistently. 

Kett played terribly. He’s not a leader. He’s a doofus. 

Rudy had one really nice drive called today. The rest was typical for him. That means he’s a bad as we all think. A good OC will exploit his roster to its fullest potential by creating advantages. He doesn’t, because he can’t.

Schmidt, we all knew we needed to spy the qb. What gives? Other than that the defense was pretty solid but again, pad level is a concern.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Okay, I’ll take that as too harsh; they are average at best.

I mean. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you.

Average at best can pretty much sums up most people on the entire football team. There really isn't any studs or go to players.

NFL receivers like Golladay don't come around very often unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Average at best can pretty much sum up most people on the entire football team. There really isn't any studs or go to players.

Golladay and Hardin were recruited by UND, though, while UND was not winning much. 

The point is that fast receivers can be recruited if it becomes a focus. UND’s current philosophy appears focused on receivers that are not overly fast and cannot get separation. 

10 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Average at best can pretty much sums up most people on the entire football team. There really isn't any studs or go to players.

It's frustrating that Muss could get guys like Golladay but then we couldn't keep them, and now it seems we can't even get the really elite players any more.   Right now the QB position is beyond frustrating.   No way should Bubba have gotten himself into this position.   I sure hope Boltman is ready to start next year.

32 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The OL was absolutely atrocious today. When we needed a yard or two we got stuffed consistently. 

Kett played terribly. He’s not a leader. He’s a doofus. 

Rudy had one really nice drive called today. The rest was typical for him. That means he’s a bad as we all think. A good OC will exploit his roster to its fullest potential by creating advantages. He doesn’t, because he can’t.

Schmidt, we all knew we needed to spy the qb. What gives? Other than that the defense was pretty solid but again, pad level is a concern.

The lack of a spy on the QB is beyond belief. They had a 50% 3rd down success with ONE GUY SCRAMBLING THROUGH OUR D. Where's the spy?

16 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

It's frustrating that Muss could get guys like Golladay but then we couldn't keep them, and now it seems we can't even get the really elite players any more.   Right now the QB position is beyond frustrating.   No way should Bubba have gotten himself into this position.   I sure hope Boltman is ready to start next year.

How many offers did Golladay have coming out of high school?

Portland St started the season badly as they had two FBS opponents trounce them, Nevada and Oregon.  They then lost to Idaho and Montana St and their season was seemingly over.  But they had a schedule of weak Big Sky teams and Montana and they have feasted on them.  Portland State has been on the rise since the first half of the season and UND doesn’t have the offensive weapons now, so PSU could Key on the run game.