SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Washington Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

7 hours ago, The Fan said:

B203D8E7-2417-4950-9BF4-4772E2CAE819.thumb.jpeg.92e3e60cb48e18d3de0f8133888c082c.jpegOK, I know I’m biased, but I’m getting a little tired of all the blame on WR’s. Here’s an example of our wide receiver open in the Seattle Times. If the quarterback would’ve put some air under the ball or thrown it a split-second sooner we would’ve had a TD. The score would’ve been 17 to 7 late in the third. 

That’s a difficult throw (across the field over a defender) with not great separation by Wanzek (certainly wasn’t wide open). The UND receivers are below average FCS players and were completely overtaken by the above average to very good FBS defensive backs of Washington. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

That’s a difficult throw (across the field over a defender) with not great separation by Wanzek (certainly wasn’t wide open). The UND receivers are below average FCS players and were completely overtaken by the above average to very good FBS defensive backs of Washington. 

Maybe so!  But Ketteringham is no Aaron Rodgers either. Anybody who has watched the last 2 years has witnessed Wanzek make a leaping grab or 2 in the back of the end zone with his vertical jump. That throw was short and low. Put some air under it. Throw it where only Wanzek can make a play or out of bounds. Why else do we have  6’4” basketball type WR’s? Listen, we win as a team and we lose as a team.  I just felt there has been an inordinate amount of blame for our passing woes on the WR in this thread.  I wish Ketteringham all the good fortune possible. He seems like a great kid and a good athlete. 

• Upvote 2

A WR's height doesn't mean he is a good WR. Just like a strong arm QB doesn't mean his is able to effectively place the ball. A fast RB also has to have vision (see holes before or after they open) and see running lanes that others cant see while on the move.  There is a reason you don't see track stars and tall basketball players on a football field on regular basis. All take developed skill and natural ability. But being a good football player takes a whole different skill-set.

We will win and lose with the players on our bus. Period. They just need to keep working to overcome shortcomings and to take advantage of our opponents mistakes when they present themselves. A good team will force their opponent into making mistakes by creating mismatches and creating in-game stress which is not easily adaptable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Fan said:

Maybe so!  But Ketteringham is no Aaron Rodgers either. Anybody who has watched the last 2 years has witnessed Wanzek make a leaping grab or 2 in the back of the end zone with his vertical jump. That throw was short and low. Put some air under it. Throw it where only Wanzek can make a play or out of bounds. Why else do we have  6’4” basketball type WR’s? Listen, we win as a team and we lose as a team.  I just felt there has been an inordinate amount of blame for our passing woes on the WR in this thread.  I wish Ketteringham all the good fortune possible. He seems like a great kid and a good athlete. 

For some reason, the jump balls and back shoulders just aren’t being thrown anymore. Probably a combination of play-calling/Rudolph and Ketteringham just not having the timing down with Toivonen, Wanzek, and Maag yet.

Remember: as a group, they’ve only played 2 games together! Passing offenses take time and rhythm!!

Kett has played 2 games at UND. The top WRs at UND have played a number of games at UND. The eyeball test having seen all of them play suggests Kett is not ARog but he'll be better than Studs and the WRs group is what it is and has been.........FCS average at their very best.

• Like 1

Pure speculation but I think the staff froze Kett's mind heading into the game.  Again, no one told me this but I can imagine him being told.  "no negative plays, throw the ball out of bounds, limit downfield shots, don't take a sack, a punt is better than a pick, etc"  I haven't seen a stare like that since I sat in my stand too late and shined a big buck walking out of the woods.

This would have been part of my approach,  say it's 3rd and 5 to 3rd and 10.  We throw a deep ball, back shoulder or jump ball, either, these are the results: (assuming a 40 yard throw)

1. complete for 40 yards (huge confidence builder and stretches defense)

2. Pass Interference (15 and a 1st)  (still a confidence booster)

3. Interception (if we tackle, 40 yards is longer than an ensuing punt)

4. incomplete (worst case cause we averaged 30 something yards a punt)

5. Interception with a return, but unlikely if we are running it correctly

Makes sense to me - 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Pure speculation but I think the staff froze Kett's mind heading into the game.  Again, no one told me this but I can imagine him being told.  "no negative plays, throw the ball out of bounds, limit downfield shots, don't take a sack, a punt is better than a pick, etc"  I haven't seen a stare like that since I sat in my stand too late and shined a big buck walking out of the woods.

This would have been part of my approach,  say it's 3rd and 5 to 3rd and 10.  We throw a deep ball, back shoulder or jump ball, either, these are the results: (assuming a 40 yard throw)

Makes sense to me - 

Aka attack mentality.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Makes sense to me - 

Yeah but we don't get to punt then.  Punting is just as good as winning.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

A few things after being at the game:

• Amazing experience. Had the opportunity "sailgate" on a really impressive boat before the game. Once in a lifetime. (It's good to know people who know people.)
  • OLine - better than I expected and played pretty solid pass protection. Run blocking was tougher, but overall I'm encouraged.
  • DLine & LBs - Solid pressure all game. It wasn't Sack City, but UWs QB was harrassed and took a number of good hits. Run D - back to where this team was 2-3 years ago.
  • WR - just like last week, separation was hard to get.
  • RB - I'm not sure Brady was hurt. He got a few carries later in the game, which tells me he was in the penalty box for something.
  • DB - Gotta tighten up that outside coverage.

On to Texas. Can't wait!

IMG_3960.JPG

Brady = hyper extended his knee in practice last week

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Curious because I didn’t notice. Were any of our receivers getting open? If kett would have had a little more time were there open receivers to throw to? Did kett miss open receivers?

thanks

I didn’t notice Receivers getting open much but that shouldn’t matter. It appears to me that other teams can execute long pass plays in 2 different ways. The back shoulder throw and timing routes happen to our D all game long and they are almost impossible to defend. ( correct me if I’m wrong Gundy) 

I don’t recall seeing any of those plays by our offense at UW. 

The game was competitive and a lot of fun until 2 of our defensive starters left especially #40. Anybody know how his hamstring is?

My take on the last game is our starters were competitive with their starters but depth determined the final score. They completed many long passes especially on 3rd down that we could not execute when we were on offense. 

The team probably is not that down because most of them were able to handle and even win their individual battles.

If #40 is out for SHSU it will be a long day on defense.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Does anybody remember on Washington two yard touchdown in the 2nd quarter when they walzed in by getting to the edge - was that on 3rd or 4th down?

what happened on that play? I thought we had them completely stuffed. Looked like to me that our backs just messed up by not securing the edge. 

It was third down and that is exactly what happened.

1 hour ago, Kap said:

I didn’t notice Receivers getting open much but that shouldn’t matter. It appears to me that other teams can execute long pass plays in 2 different ways. The back shoulder throw and timing routes happen to our D all game long and they are almost impossible to defend. ( correct me if I’m wrong Gundy) 

I don’t recall seeing any of those plays by our offense at UW. 

The game was competitive and a lot of fun until 2 of our defensive starters left especially #40. Anybody know how his hamstring is?

My take on the last game is our starters were competitive with their starters but depth determined the final score. They completed many long passes especially on 3rd down that we could not execute when we were on offense. 

The team probably is not that down because most of them were able to handle and even win their individual battles.

If #40 is out for SHSU it will be a long day on defense.

If a DB has his back turned......the WR has an advantage, that is for sure.  Every one does it to us......and we have done it zero times, a little puzzling.