Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
jdub27

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

Recommended Posts

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4446387-emails-show-logo-betty-part-kennedy-engelstad-feud

 

Email correspondence between the assistants for Kennedy and McGarry runs contradictory to a statement McGarry made to the Herald about meeting availability.

 

“(Kennedy) refused to have a meeting with me,” she said to the Herald on May 9. “I said let’s meet anytime in April or May, I’m open -- he said, ‘I’m not -- not available.’”

Emails show a Kennedy assistant offering meeting dates April 12-13, 19-24 and May 1.

 

I always find it amusing when someone flat out lies about something that can easily be proven otherwise. Unfortunately for her, the only Herald reporter (*one of the only) that actually tries to report on facts and not try to spin their story to fit their agenda got this one.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Once again there seems to be this thought process by many here that being a supporter and fan of UND, especially in regards to athletics, has to include the unconditional acceptance of the new nickname and logo. Some also try to tie the increase in "record" dollars given to the university to the new nickname and logo. Neither of these things have to be or are mutually inclusive.  With all that said put the logo where ever it is best suited.

I don't believe anybody "tied" record donations to the name.  They were "un-tieing" the erroneous statements that have been made about how people are "not donating anymore due to the removal of the Sioux nickname/logo and insertion of the Hawk name/logo".  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I don't believe anybody "tied" record donations to the name.  They were "un-tieing" the erroneous statements that have been made about how people are "not donating anymore due to the removal of the Sioux nickname/logo and insertion of the Hawk name/logo".  

Pretty sure that's not how the conversation started on this topic.........nonetheless both instances in your post are pure fiction and unsubstantiated.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Pretty sure that's not how the conversation started on this topic.........nonetheless both instances in your post are pure fiction and unsubstantiated.

Please explain.  I started it, correct?  What I wrote above is exactly what I meant.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not saying that REA shouldn't work with UND on what logos go where............but this might be a case of saving UND from themselves. If someone with photo shop skills wants to mock up a version with the Logo in the middle please go ahead.

One possible addition would be having the "Fighting Hawks" and Logo on the sidelines and then renaming the end with the student section as either "The Cast" or preferably "The Kettle" but maybe instead of that, signage could be added behind the student section. 

This is a great look and  if you told me we were refinishing the floor, this is what I imagine it should look like.

UND_0.gif?itok=rxAz7klS

This is a nice clean classic look. The name is prominent and truth be told if UND wants to sell merchandise and promote the brand it has to be more "Fighting Hawks", "Hawks", "UND", and "North Dakota" and due to our unfortunate decision making, far less logo. REA might be doing us a favor as far as optics go. Wouldn't be the first time a private enterprise knew better than a government entity.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I am not saying that REA shouldn't work with UND on what logos go where............but this might be a case of saving UND from themselves. If someone with photo shop skills wants to mock up a version with the Logo in the middle please go ahead.

One possible addition would be having the "Fighting Hawks" and Logo on the sidelines and then renaming the end with the student section as either "The Cast" or preferably "The Kettle" but maybe instead of that, signage could be added behind the student section. 

This is a great look and what if you told me we were refinishing the floor, this is what I imagine it should look like.

UND_0.gif?itok=rxAz7klS

This is a nice clean classic look. The name is prominent and truth be told if UND wants to sell merchandise and promote the brand it has to be more "Fighting Hawks", "Hawks", "UND", and "North Dakota" and due to our unfortunate decision making, far less logo. REA might be doing us a favor as far as optics go. Wouldn't be the first time a private enterprise knew better than a government entity.

I kind of like the ends of the court the way they are mocked up.  I just do not like that big gaudy 'NORTH DAKOTA" at midcourt.  Seems archaic and doesn't fit in.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, UND-1 said:

McGarry caught in a little fib via the Herald:

Quote

 

"(Kennedy) refused to have a meeting with me," she said to the Herald on May 9. "I said let's meet anytime in April or May, I'm open—he said, 'I'm not—not available.'"

Emails show a Kennedy assistant offering meeting dates April 12-13, 19-24 and May 1.

McGarry's representative responded that McGarry would be out of town during the dates suggested.

 

 

Refused? The man offered 9 different meeting dates in the window proffered. And the dates are spread out no less. 

Combine this with her statement to the GF Herald of "it's not about the logo" versus what her emails reveal (it's about the logo) and I find Ms. McGarry's credibility to be somewhat deficient at this juncture. 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Refused? The man offered 9 different meeting dates in the window proffered. And the dates are spread out no less. 

Combine this with her statement to the GF Herald of "it's not about the logo" versus what her emails reveal (it's about the logo) and I find Ms. McGarry's credibility to be somewhat deficient at this juncture. 

Don't forget about her situation with UNLV.  https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/education/donor-to-pull-14m-donation-after-unlv-president-says-he-will-leave/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I am not saying that REA shouldn't work with UND on what logos go where............but this might be a case of saving UND from themselves. If someone with photo shop skills wants to mock up a version with the Logo in the middle please go ahead.

One possible addition would be having the "Fighting Hawks" and Logo on the sidelines and then renaming the end with the student section as either "The Cast" or preferably "The Kettle" but maybe instead of that, signage could be added behind the student section. 

This is a great look and what if you told me we were refinishing the floor, this is what I imagine it should look like.

UND_0.gif?itok=rxAz7klS

This is a nice clean classic look. The name is prominent and truth be told if UND wants to sell merchandise and promote the brand it has to be more "Fighting Hawks", "Hawks", "UND", and "North Dakota" and due to our unfortunate decision making, far less logo. REA might be doing us a favor as far as optics go. Wouldn't be the first time a private enterprise knew better than a government entity.

No jokes just honest commentary,

By putting the Logo center and NORTH DAKOTA on the ends, I'm not sure that is a aesthetically pleasing, also it does not leave much room for FIGHTING HAWKS anywhere.

This successfully uses all the branding and wordmarks in a spatially acceptable manner.

I can mock it up in photoshop tonight but in reality, This is a visually appealing layout.  

Mountains out of molehills? Certainly not something to lose one of the largest donors to the school over.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

No jokes just honest commentary,

By putting the Logo center and NORTH DAKOTA on the ends, I'm not sure that is a aesthetically pleasing, also it does not leave much room for FIGHTING HAWKS anywhere.

This successfully uses all the branding and wordmarks in a spatially acceptable manner.

I can mock it up in photoshop tonight but in reality, This is a visually appealing layout.  

Mountains out of molehills? Certainly not something to lose one of the largest donors to the school over.

Maybe the new administration doesn’t want the “it’s good enough” mentality in the athletic dept. anymore.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, darell1976 said:

db.jpg

This was their mascot through 2017. He might get fased out due to a no mask policy on campus.

That guy on the left should wear a mask. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be curious to see the mock-up UND prepared. Surprised it isn't out there somewhere as it was attached to the emails that were sent. Hey @RobPort, anyway to see some of those attachments?

I agree that the mock-up shown isn't bad at all, however that literally isn't the point at all. The President, AD and every coach who uses the building wanted to logo at center court. I'm assuming they saw the mock-up and supported it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, to get it all associated, I believe center court should look something like this.
And admittedly, this wouldn't work for hockey (different surfaces). 

UND.jpg

It puts it all in one visual space so it all gets associated mentally. 
And yes, I took some liberties with the fonts and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a graphic designer but having 'North Dakota' at mid-court is too much, too distracting.  Wordy, too many lines.  

Should be a logo, IMO.  The interlocking ND always looked good there.  Most teams do not put significant TEXT at mid-court.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I am not a graphic designer but having 'North Dakota' at mid-court is too much, too distracting.  Wordy, too many lines.  

Should be a logo, IMO.  The interlocking ND always looked good there.  Most teams do not put significant TEXT at mid-court.

Center court/center ice options in this order:

1) Interlocking ND

2) North Dakota (like Petey displayed)

3) Fighting Hawks

4) Logo

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I am not a graphic designer but having 'North Dakota' at mid-court is too much, too distracting.  Wordy, too many lines.  

Should be a logo, IMO.  The interlocking ND always looked good there.

I am going with what we have. I agree the interlocking UND logo would be preferable. 

The North Dakota at mid-court might be a little large, but that brings us back around to the fact we have a terrible logo which would look even worse blown up to that size.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, petey23 said:

This is a great look and  if you told me we were refinishing the floor, this is what I imagine it should look like.

Wouldn't be the first time a private enterprise knew better than a government entity.

Good looking court right there. The REA got it right.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Davlun said:

Using fuhrer and bunker in your post. Where is the history there. 

With Ralph and the parties and the memorabilia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Telling you guys, basketball teams do not put text at mid-court.  There is a reason why.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, petey23 said:

 

UND_0.gif?itok=rxAz7klS

 

 

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Telling you guys, basketball teams do not put text at mid-court.  There is a reason why.  

With what options UND has to work with as far as the logo and nickname this set up looks great IMO. Interlocking ND at center court would be the only possible upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Interlocking ND at center court would be the only possible upgrade.

That's retired (or moved to the whatever-they-call-it collection they dodder out every now and then). 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That's retired (or moved to the whatever-they-call-it collection they dodder out every now and then). 

I totally get the "retirement" of the Fighting Sioux name and logo. The "retirement" of the interlocking ND was just plain stupid IMO.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

 

With what options UND has to work with as far as the logo and nickname this set up looks great IMO. Interlocking ND at center court would be the only possible upgrade.

I agree, not going to lose sleep over it.  But, in this case it's only being used because REA won't incorporate the new logo.  If the new logo was "acceptable" by KM standards then it would be there, IMO.  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×