SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Center Events

Cratter

7 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

LOL - the Alerus is a money pit.  Stop traffic on 42nd to let out the venue, not real hard.  Anytime cars have to wait 90 minutes to exit something is wrong.

They do that - it's 1 street with 2 exits - a known problem for 20 YEARS.   PLAN AHEAD!   Leave early and plan to be patient waiting to leave.  It's not a surprise or really that hard.   It also seems like the Al has had bigger and better concerts than the mighty mighty FuDOME lately?   Slipknot?   REALLY?????

Thanks for bringing in Satanists to the homeland of TRUMPISM - seems like a winning combo pf throwing gas on a freak fire.   Well done Fargo!

15 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

Stop traffic on 42nd to let out the venue, not real hard.  Anytime cars have to wait 90 minutes to exit something is wrong.

They do.

The delay might have something to do with 25000 "impaired" tourists who just spent two plus hours at "Bob's Country Bunker*" and who just walked out into atmospheric and road conditions that caused a 25-car chain reaction collision on I-29. 

*"We have both kinds of music: country and western." 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

To compare the Fargodome has two direct outlets to I-29 and three separate ways to get out of their parking lots.  The Alerus Center has one way out.  Why?  Because it's up against I-29 (too close).  

For how much grand forks has grown when’s the last time we got a new i29 exit

fsrgi seems to get one every 5 yeare

Beer distribution was not very good.  Had to pour everything into cups.  May have been a request of the band, really not sure but I can’t imagine how much money was left on the table by that being such a mess. You couldn’t have gotten drunk if you tried and I can almost guarantee no one left there with a buzz.  

Alcohol sales are parts of concerts and can mask a lot of other frustrations.  Alerus needs to get this figured out to stop losing money and keep people coming back to the great shows they are booking. 

10 minutes ago, homer said:

Beer distribution was not very good.  Had to pour everything into cups.  May have been a request of the band, really not sure but I can’t imagine how much money was left on the table by that being such a mess. You couldn’t have gotten drunk if you tried and I can almost guarantee no one left there with a buzz.  

Alcohol sales are parts of concerts and can mask a lot of other frustrations.  Alerus needs to get this figured out to stop losing money and keep people coming back to the great shows they are booking. 

100% a requirement of the talent. 
They tried fixing it by allowing up to 4 at a time.
Some of the adjustments they made from Luke Combs/Eric Church worked. Some didn't.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

They do.

The delay might have something to do with 25000 "impaired" tourists who just spent two plus hours at "Bob's Country Bunker*" and who just walked out into atmospheric and road conditions that caused a 25-car chain reaction collision on I-29. 

*"We have both kinds of music: country and western." 

Oh, we’re the Good ‘Ole Boys playing last weekend?  Hope they remembered their Union Cards.

10 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Oh, we’re the Good ‘Ole Boys playing last weekend?  Hope they remembered their Union Cards.

Looking back, I think it was a law firm doing retirement planning sessions. It was something called Morgan Wallen. Sounds like Edward Jones or Raymond James. 

3 hours ago, UND1983 said:

To compare the Fargodome has two direct outlets to I-29 and three separate ways to get out of their parking lots.  The Alerus Center has one way out.  Why?  Because it's up against I-29 (too close).  

Where there's a will, there's a way. Some freeway-adjacent venues have limited use access (i.e., usually closed lanes/ramps) that can be engaged to route traffic in and out on a continual basis during peak utilization. A slight inconvenience to freeway thru traffic in one or both directions, but could be a solution. Especially since the crush of GFK-bound event traffic is one-way in and then one-way out.

Pre-event traffic exits NB I-29 directly into Alerus parking lot. 

After the show, close both NB lanes of I-29 @ 32nd and reduce SB to the outer lane at Demers.  Then have event traffic exit directly at Alerus across the NB lanes and paved median and into the inside SB lane and merge going south. 

10 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Where there's a will, there's a way. Some freeway-adjacent venues have limited use access (i.e., usually closed lanes/ramps) that can be engaged to route traffic in and out on a continual basis during peak utilization. A slight inconvenience to freeway thru traffic in one or both directions, but could be a solution. Especially since the crush of GFK-bound event traffic is one-way in and then one-way out.

After the show, close both NB lanes of I-29 @ 32nd and reduce SB to the outer lane at Demers.  Then have event traffic exit directly at Alerus across the NB lanes and paved median and into the inside SB lane and merge going south. 

speaking of merging.....you would have to merge about 50 Law Groups to handle the amount of lawsuits after Ole and Lena ram into a car at 55 if this happens...

On 3/14/2022 at 10:13 AM, jdub27 said:

No different than any other venue in the area.
Fargodome has similar problems for concerts and NDSU football with not getting people in quick enough. 

They wanted to open the doors up earlier and weren't allowed to. 

Everyone complains when things are crowded in ND.

We ain't use to that stuff up here.

3 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Why build something that only is used for Alerus events. Build something that helps the industrial park too. 

Build the 17th Ave S underpass. 
Map: https://www.google.com/maps/@47.9071092,-97.0929155,1303m/data=!3m1!1e3 

Folks going south could jump on 48th St and down to 32nd Ave and be on I29. 
Folks going west could jump north to Demers then north again up to US2. 

Added bonus? You take some pressure off Demers at I29 interchanges. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

That ain't happening. You don't get to close interstate highways like that. 

8 hours ago, jdub27 said:

100% a requirement of the talent. 
They tried fixing it by allowing up to 4 at a time.
Some of the adjustments they made from Luke Combs/Eric Church worked. Some didn't.

Yup. Alerus was on social media telling people: go early, had maps of the suggested traffic, what to expect, and how they upped the beer limit to 4, no bottle caps allowed on drinks etc.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

That ain't happening. You don't get to close interstate highways like that. 

Au contraire...the ND Highway Patrol has the broad power "to ensure safety by directing traffic as conditions may require notwithstanding the provisions of law."

A few yards of concrete, a couple of swing gates, some cones and fixed and electronic signage (most of the latter of which are already on hand at DOT).  Infinitely cheaper than a highway interchange.  Couple of hours before or after the event, you wouldn't even know it was there.  Max 5-10 minute detour through industrial park west of town for NB truck traffic.  Some thru-travelers may even utilize the exit onto 32nd to stop for food/fuel, thus creating sales tax potential.  I bet folks living in neighborhoods east/southeast of Valley Dairy would jump for joy.  And the convenience for Fargoans...it's a slam dunk!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Au contraire...the ND Highway Patrol has the broad power "to ensure safety by directing traffic as conditions may require notwithstanding the provisions of law."

A few yards of concrete, a couple of swing gates, some cones and fixed and electronic signage (most of the latter of which are already on hand at DOT).  Infinitely cheaper than a highway interchange.  Couple of hours before or after the event, you wouldn't even know it was there.  Max 5-10 minute detour through industrial park west of town for NB truck traffic.  Some thru-travelers may even utilize the exit onto 32nd to stop for food/fuel, thus creating sales tax potential.  I bet folks living in neighborhoods east/southeast of Valley Dairy would jump for joy.  And the convenience for Fargoans...it's a slam dunk!

NDHP or ND DOT are not going to do this. State highways and Interstates closure are not that simple

This is how journalism works in 2022 for the Grand Forks Herald:

Somebody who went to college and works in Fargo (Nick Broadway)

Or someone who lives in Michigan (Sam Easter)

Will ask Social Media:

"Did you have a bad time at the Alerus Center concert? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a line!"

Or

"Do you oppose the new business the city is trying to bring to town? We would love to share your story to rile everyone up for clicks!"

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

A few yards of concrete, a couple of swing gates, some cones and fixed and electronic signage (most of the latter of which are already on hand at DOT).  Infinitely cheaper than a highway interchange.  

Small thinking. 

An underpass (not a full interchange with ramps) improves city access to the industrial park as well as helps the Alerus problem. If you're going to spend any money, get more than 12 hours of usage a year from it. 

And an underpass at 17th Avenue would make the industrial park more attractive to businesses. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Cratter said:

This is how journalism works in 2022 for the Grand Forks Herald:

Somebody who went to college and works in Fargo (Nick Broadway)

Or someone who lives in Michigan (Sam Easter)

Will ask Social Media:

"Did you have a bad time at the Alerus Center concert? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a line!"

Or

"Do you oppose the new business the city is trying to bring to town? We would love to share your story to rile everyone up for clicks!"

or the WH inviting tiktokers to the WH to "teach" them econ 101 so they can send out their little videos about why biden isn't a commy........

Small thinking. 

An underpass (not a full interchange with ramps) improves city access to the industrial park as well as helps the Alerus problem. If you're going to spend any money, get more than 12 hours of usage a year from it. 

And an underpass at 17th Avenue would make the industrial park more attractive to businesses. 

two words...

mono

rail

Small thinking. 

Agree with all, except make it an overpass rather than underpass

14 hours ago, Green Banner said:

NDHP or ND DOT are not going to do this. State highways and Interstates closure are not that simple

This makes no sense.  We have, like 2-3 days of advance notice of blizzards, and they manage to close roads just fine.  Miles and miles of them.  Like from MB to SD.

With concerts and events, you get, like 2-3 months of notice.  And we're talking about a couple of lanes from 32nd to Demers.  For a couple of hours.

2 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

We have, like 2-3 days of advance notice of blizzards, and they manage to close roads just fine. 

... because they are unpassable. 

Closing Interstate 29 is not like closing down part of University Avenue for a parade. You are literally putting an arbitrary stoppage (albeit temporary) on interstate commerce; that would garner Federal attention. (Weather is not arbitrary.) 

• Upvote 2