SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Bulldogs - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, Irish said:

It's like we have entered Bizarro World.  Two years ago we won a championship with a line of NHL talent - now we have none.  We also won with incredible team character and hard play now we can't get a full 60 minutes out of our team for the life of us.  We used to be a place where talent came to grow and hopefully make the pros - now, no one seems to have improved.  We used to be a feared opponent, now we are Minnesota Duluth's whipping boy.  And no one can figure out what happened.  Maybe this is one of those years that just comes along every so often.  I hope so.  Even so, if we get our act together we could still make some noise, but the clock is ticking.  

We used to be called the Fighting Sioux too!

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Well, this class was considered a top 5 class and 2019 and 2020 are at or near the top of the rankings so don't think it has gone dry?

2018 might be a mixed bag with Scheel, Tychonick, and Hain all elite players and 3 over age guys in Weatherby, Keane, and Senden

2019 is looking pretty good with Donovan, Frisch, and Caulfied all being elite players and Costello and Bernard-Docker still developing and Randklev could be a huge get in that he is a 4 year guy and will bring some of same qualities as Evan Trupp with a little more scoring touch.

2020 is looking to be a ridiculous class right now with Kleven(#1 rated 2002 kid in the country) and Kunz(top 5 2002 forward in the country), Ethan Bowen is an elite prospect, Reid is considered one of Canada's top 17 year old D-men, Blaisdell is considered one of Canada's top players in his age group and Mancinelli is considered a pretty good prospect as well. Pinto is hard to gauge due to league he is in but has done well at elite camps.

Blue Chippers

Tychonick

Frisch

Donovan

Kleven

Kunz

Bowen

Borderline Blue Chippahs

Hain

Caulfield

Blaisdell

So bringing in 5 to 8 in next 3 years plus Randklev. I think most programs would roll the dice with these guys.

This is good to know - I was basing my posts on the last two years - Other than one and done Jost not much firepower - I'm not quite seeing the love this year's class got - out of the top 50 NCAA scoring freshmen, we only have Mismash at number 30.  As for sophs, among the NCHC top ten scorers are 6 sophomores - none of them ours.  Denver has 3 of the top 10 scorers.  I hope these classes bring us back to Champions - however I can't remember a Sioux team with less firepower than this one.  We have no first round draft picks and no World Junior members.  Duluth's talent blew us away.  I hope this is just one of those odd years and not a trend.

15 minutes ago, Irish said:

This is good to know - I was basing my posts on the last two years - Other than one and done Jost not much firepower - I'm not quite seeing the love this year's class got - out of the top 50 NCAA scoring freshmen, we only have Mismash at number 30.  As for sophs, among the NCHC top ten scorers are 6 sophomores - none of them ours.  Denver has 3 of the top 10 scorers.  I hope these classes bring us back to Champions - however I can't remember a Sioux team with less firepower than this one.  We have no first round draft picks and no World Junior members.  Duluth's talent blew us away.  I hope this is just one of those odd years and not a trend.

The 2014 team is my answer. 

43 minutes ago, Irish said:

You mean the team that went to the Frozen 4?  Please elaborate - not sure what you are getting at.

They got to the Frozen Four, but they were far from full of firepower. I really liked that team and how they came together but there was just not a lot of firepower there. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Guessing he's talking 2013-14. Team started the season 4-7-2.

This team hasn't lost its chance at the frozen 4 yet.

It’s actually a she, FYI :)

Agreed -This team can still go to the Frozen Four, it hasn’t been eliminated yet. It’s way too early to quit on this year’s team. 

We went to 3 straight Frozen Fours from 2014-2016, and the first two years of that run people lamented about a lack of firepower too. 2014 was young and came together in the second half. 2015 was experienced and deep, but lacked firepower. And 2016 was a powerhouse, as we all know. 

10 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

It’s actually a she, FYI :)

Agreed -This team can still go to the Frozen Four, it hasn’t been eliminated yet. It’s way too early to quit on this year’s team. 

We went to 3 straight Frozen Fours from 2014-2016, and the first two years of that run people lamented about a lack of firepower too. 2014 was young and came together in the second half. 2015 was experienced and deep, but lacked firepower. And 2016 was a powerhouse, as we all know. 

Based on how we played in the Regional last year against BU I believe this team can be great.  Time to find that drive again.

4 hours ago, petey23 said:

Well, this class was considered a top 5 class and 2019 and 2020 are at or near the top of the rankings so don't think it has gone dry?

2018 might be a mixed bag with Scheel, Tychonick, and Hain all elite players and 3 over age guys in Weatherby, Keane, and Senden

2019 is looking pretty good with Donovan, Frisch, and Caulfied all being elite players and Costello and Bernard-Docker still developing and Randklev could be a huge get in that he is a 4 year guy and will bring some of same qualities as Evan Trupp with a little more scoring touch.

2020 is looking to be a ridiculous class right now with Kleven(#1 rated 2002 kid in the country) and Kunz(top 5 2002 forward in the country), Ethan Bowen is an elite prospect, Reid is considered one of Canada's top 17 year old D-men, Blaisdell is considered one of Canada's top players in his age group and Mancinelli is considered a pretty good prospect as well. Pinto is hard to gauge due to league he is in but has done well at elite camps.

Blue Chippers

Tychonick

Frisch

Donovan

Kleven

Kunz

Bowen

Borderline Blue Chippahs

Hain

Caulfield

Blaisdell

So bringing in 5 to 8 in next 3 years plus Randklev. I think most programs would roll the dice with these guys.

You must have missed the memo that Berry can't recruit or get "blue chippers", get outta here with your facts and information. The sky is falling and we won't be told otherwise! :D

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, I Ranger said:

I've said this before in previous threads that the love affair for this line could be this team's detriment. Like you said 26 had a good run before Xmas but they have done nothing since and don't need to be penciled in nightly in the lineup and playing 2nd-3rd line minutes. 11 needs to be in a suit.

Prob don't want to sit 11, he has 2 goals in the last three games and he was our top scorer for the month of March last season

7 hours ago, JaDubbs said:

Prob don't want to sit 11, he has 2 goals in the last three games and he was our top scorer for the month of March last season

Agree to disagree. In my opinion, he is our 14th forward and it's not close. The puck is a hot potato on his stick and his skating is atrocious. Slowest forward I may have ever seen play at UND.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Apparently some people have lowered the definition of what a blue chipper is.

No chippers again in next year's class.

So potential first round picks who can choose to go to any college are not blue chippers? 

Kids considered in the top 20-25 in their age group in the U.S. or Canada(i.e., are consistently picked for their country's world teams and elite camps) are not blue chippers?

Help me out?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, I Ranger said:

Agree to disagree. In my opinion, he is our 14th forward and it's not close. The puck is a hot potato on his stick and his skating is atrocious. Slowest forward I may have ever seen play at UND.

The blame for their recent play isn't on just a few people, but on the group. That being said, it's frustrating that it appears if you have a letter, you're in the line-up, no matter what. Looking at Simo / Olson, who should be fair game to sit (because they aren't very good), but instead you have guys like Mismash / Adams, who have talent in the stands every other night.  Berry, maybe mix in 11 & 10.

34 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Blue Chippers are at a minimum guaranteed first rounders. 

So only players who are considered guarantee first round picks at age 15-16 are Blue Chip recruits?

So essentially 4-5 players per class in hindsight and maybe 1 or 2 per class when they commit.

46 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Blue Chippers are at a minimum guaranteed first rounders. 

I don’t know about that, goalies rarely go in the first and if got a second round goalie who was a top 5 goalie drafted, I would consider them a blue chip prospect.  As for skaters, yes a blue chipper is a first rounder.  One could consider a blue chip recruit one that is protected to go in the first round.  Tychonik is close right now.  None of the others are close really.