SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Bulldogs - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

I know, I got that.  My point is that we need more drafted players.  Whether it’s 1st or 5th.  We need more of or recruits to get drafted.

No, we need more guys to produce, regardless if they are drafted or not.  How many people were lamenting our drafted guys, and still are because they haven't produced like they should?

This Fr. class hasn't been great but not completely underwhelming either. Bast is the real deal. Mismash has shown flashes of being really really good. Adams looked like a solid 4 yr college hockey pick-up until Berry started benching him.  Gooch has gotten better after looking clueless for a month plus. Rieger is getting screwed IMO.....he looked better than anticipated in limited action.

Problem is anyone that isn't a Fr. has been at best consistently inconsistent......................lots of milk carton mug shots most nights.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Some mocks have him going late first, but I understand what you are saying. Mishmash went 61st.

So 2017 had 2 Blue Chippers at the time they committed to college in Casey Mittelsteadt and Josh Norris and 3 others who can now be considered Blue Chip Recruits in Poehling, Oettinger, and Bowers.

2018 looks to have 5 in Tkachuk, Hughes, Wahlstrom, Farabee, and Samuelsson.

I guess when I see 30-35% of NHL rosters being made up of College players I have a lower standard of what I consider a top end recruit I guess?

I don't think you have a lower standard in any relevant comparison. Cratter's view of blue chip seems to be above the norm. Oh well.

21 minutes ago, tnt said:

But weren't those guys a failure in your eyes because they couldn't win a Natty.  Wait, that is all on Hakstol. 

Are you seriously suggesting we would have been better off with 4 year guys or are you just gainsaying anything I post?  

• Upvote 1

I am not saying some of our guys don't need to step up their games a little bit. I expected all these guys to find the net a little more. Updated with expectations I had.

Gersich   22-25 goals

Janatuinen   10-15 goals, 30+ points

Hoff   25-30 points

Poganski   15-20 goals

2 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I am not saying some of our guys don't need to step up their games a little bit. I expected all these guys to find the net a little more.

Gersich

Janatuinen

Hoff

Poganski

I think Poganski can be removed. He’s tied for the team lead in goals...

but the other three.... yes

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

I am not saying some of our guys don't need to step up their games a little bit. I expected all these guys to find the net a little more.

Gersich

Janatuinen

Hoff

Poganski

Poganski is the only one of these who I've seen elevate his play in the last month or so. The other guys need to step up and do the same.

3 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think Poganski can be removed. He’s tied for the team lead in goals...

but the other three.... yes

There was talk by many here prior to this season that Pogo was the prototype NHL power forward..............................................9 goals in 26 games doesn't scream that. He stays on the list.

.....and leading the team with 9...NINE...goals 2/3rds thru the season means the "lead in goals" bar is set very low.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

There was talk by many here prior to this season that Pogo was the prototype NHL power forward..............................................9 goals in 26 games doesn't scream that. He stays on the list.

.....and leading the team with 9...NINE...goals 2/3rds thru the season means the "lead in goals" bar is set very low.

When I watch games and they say a guy scored his 15th, I'm like "holy s***" and then realize im just impressed because we have no goal scorers

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

So, that would equate to about 28 goals in an 82 game NHL season. That's pretty much elite NHL PF. Pogo has been very good in the second half.

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

He had 12 last year, a career high,and 10 the year before that  so maybe everyone’s expectations were too high. The load should not be squarely on his shoulders. 

2 players on this team have scored half of the team’s goals in the last 4 games. Pogo is doing his job. 

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So, that would equate to about 28 goals in an 82 game NHL season. That's pretty much elite NHL PF. Pogo has been very good in the second half.

Well that's one way to spin it.........................problem is Pogo is playing Union, CC and the like right now and not CHI, NASH or PHI.

3 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

He had 12 last year, a career high,and 10 the year before that  so maybe everyone’s expectations were too high. 

His effort is there and the last few weeks he seems to have found his speed again...I thought he was noticeably slower at beginning of season.

Too lazy to research this but out of 60 NCAA teams how many at this stage today have a leading goal scorer that is NOT in single digits?

I'll hang up and listen...............................................................................

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Awfully tough to replace players every single year when they leave as freshmen or sophomores.  Sorry, but while Tyson Jost may potentially be an NHL superstar, his time at UND is pretty much a blip on the radar screen.  

Yet, we had to grab him. We don't get beat on that off sides call at Scheels Arena and then get by Duluth, Jost could have be on the radar with the Froz 4 added to his 30 plus games.