SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

Both candidates have done well in their interviews, playing to their strengths and keeping the conversation around those things.

Porter has done well at WMU and they have done some good things while he was there. I'm not sure how much of that he is directly responsible for, but obviously some of it. He seemed to understand the culture of UND and said the right things. One of the big flags was why he was at WMU for so long, but his answer for was good enough to make it a non-issue for me.

Mike did a great job yesterday and was able to play a lot on his experiences as a coach (being part of a team) and his ties to UND. No doubt he has the passion for the job and his ties definitely give him a certain advantage in the fundraising part. However I think his lack of experience with the actual "athletic director" portion is a bit of a hurdle to overcome. I also am a little wary of the thought of him having to rely on his staff for some of the things he doesn't have experience in as I think the general consensus is there are a couple people that should be replaced on that staff.

I think the candidate today is a wild card who has a wide variety of experience and the candidate tomorrow comes in as the favorite on paper. I look forward to their interviews.

• Upvote 3

Looking at clock, doing the math (driving time/distance), I'm wondering if I can get to the fan luncheon in Fargo at noon.

Then again, they can't/won't say anything beyond "process ... interviews continuing ... Kennedy ... great pool ... yadda-yadda-wonk-wonk." 

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Real Rydell Cars radio ad goes something like, 

"I'm Chevy Chavez...somebuy a car"

Everytime I see Chaves name I get flashbacks. :lol:

My fear is he is hired and addresses someone at the Med School as Dr. Rosenpenis.............................................................

5 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

That is baloney.  The crap about having to hire someone from within or not hiring from within doesn't make sense.  What if he is the best person for the job???  It is as simple as that.  What is most important,  is trying to figure out who will be the best person for the AD job. That is very difficult to do, but if you base a decision on whether someone is already at UND then you are selling yourself short as a decision maker (if you were a decision maker) and your are making decisions based on an unsubstantiated bias.

Like I stated before. I have nothing against Mannausau. I just have a tough time believing someone with NO EXPERIENCE at all is the best man for the job. That's a tough sell. You are basically risking the life line of UND improving on seeing if a guy can talk the talk.....

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

That is baloney.  The crap about having to hire someone from within or not hiring from within doesn't make sense.  What if he is the best person for the job??? It is as simple as that.  What is most important,  is trying to figure out who will be the best person for the AD job. That is very difficult to do, but if you base a decision on whether someone is already at UND then you are selling yourself short as a decision maker (if you were a decision maker) and your are making decisions based on an unsubstantiated bias.

Agree..................................but I guess we are all relying on the fact that with this selection committee of 74 people they actually got/selected the four best candidates that applied. The "best person for the job" in reality might even be one of these four.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

That is baloney.  The crap about having to hire someone from within or not hiring from within doesn't make sense.  What if he is the best person for the job???  It is as simple as that.  What is most important,  is trying to figure out who will be the best person for the AD job. That is very difficult to do, but if you base a decision on whether someone is already at UND then you are selling yourself short as a decision maker (if you were a decision maker) and your are making decisions based on an unsubstantiated bias.

You make some very good points. However, do you have some "unsubstantiated bias" of your own on this issue?

21 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You make some very good points. However, do you have some "unsubstantiated bias" of your own on this issue?

Seems to me Ira is simply suggesting people remain open to considering internal candidates and the benefits associated with them.  

• Upvote 2

Curious what the current coaches would want?   

I am not really buying full experience is that important.  What if the incoming AD was a finance person in an athletic dept.  Would that be acceptable?  Technically not a title or associate AD experience.  

UND needs to identify what is most important to the dept right now.  Each guy is going to play to his/her strengths out of the gate.  

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Most people will understand what I wrote.  You don't make a decision based on where someone is from.  I'm not promoting Mike for the job nor am I opposed to Mike getting the job.  Nobody has asked me what I think and I don't think they will. I'm not on the committee, haven't interviewed anyone, nor have I reviewed the CV's.  I wasn't Mike's teammate, not did I coach Mike.  Giving an opinion that we should choose the best person regardless of whether or not he is a UND guy doesn't suggest bias. Too many of you seem intolerant of others thoughts or ideas. As for your remark about "at least he isn't from Detroit Lakes" there is a common 2 word phrase that would apply to you.  If you have a bias against Detroit Lakes then stay away. My loyalties are to UND before DL.  I have no long term ties to DL and I am not  from here. I have a long and solid  relationship to UND and UND athletics.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Most people will understand what I wrote.  You don't make a decision based on where someone is from.  I'm not promoting Mike for the job nor am I opposed to Mike getting the job.  Nobody has asked me what I think and I don't think they will. I'm not on the committee, haven't interviewed anyone, nor have I reviewed the CV's.  I wasn't Mike's teammate, not did I coach Mike.  Giving an opinion that we should choose the best person regardless of whether or not he is a UND guy doesn't suggest bias. Too many of you seem intolerant of others thoughts or ideas. As for your remark about "at least he isn't from Detroit Lakes" there is a common 2 word phrase that would apply to you.  If you have a bias against Detroit Lakes then stay away. My loyalties are to UND before DL.  I have no long term ties to DL and I am not  from here. I have a long and solid  relationship to UND and UND athletics.

Calm down, it was a stupid joke. :crazy:

I am open to internal candidates for anything; I just don't think Mike is the right choice for this job compared to the other applicants.

• Upvote 1