SiouxSports.com Forum

2017-18 Season

SWSiouxMN

Just thinking Klabo and Freije have been good friends all through their careers could we also be looking at Klabo leaving the program too!  I was wondering this if UND could be looking at two losses from the program. I would think it could also come down to the rule change by NCAA if they don't require a player to sit out year after transferring. I think this hasn't been decided upon yet but could likely change before next season.

2 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

Just thinking Klabo and Freije have been good friends all through their careers could we also be looking at Klabo leaving the program too!  I was wondering this if UND could be looking at two losses from the program. I would think it could also come down to the rule change by NCAA if they don't require a player to sit out year after transferring. I think this hasn't been decided upon yet but could likely change before next season.

If Klabo leaves then so should Brewster.  1-2 girls leaving after the season is one thing.  Your two best players leaving - both from North Dakota - is another entirely.  

His ego will probably tell him it's not his fault, though.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, sprig said:

Moton to NDSU for track (shotput)

Rumor

Not a surprise. Quit once during the season and played 6 minutes in 2 games after the 1st of the year.

Likely be one or two more. If the team was going to get back on track, they needed to do something to shake up the roster because they were short on talent this year, especially the guard spots. Losing FF is a big hit though. Coach needs to steady the ship or the SD schools are going to make UND look silly next year.

Still not sure on what his actual contract situation is but I feel comfortable that the new AD doesn't owe anyone anything and unbiased observations are being made across the board.

FF is a truly great person, but I think she’s a tweaner. Not a great shooter, lacks quickness to be a 3, not big enough for 4/5.

She played hard and did her best, but the lack of athleticism is symbolic of this seasons team. We just couldn’t compete with bigger, faster players.

I could agree with you some on this but she had track record here now for past 3 years where she has shown that she can compete at division I level at very high level. She has been one of the top players in the Big Sky and her career at UND she has scored 838 points and would have been very close to 1000 pts if she wouldn't have been hurt. This year alone they had her play at least 3 different positions on the floor and she held her own. She was giving them 33 minutes a game covering for lack of recruiting this past year. The weakness of this team this year has been the guard play will be again next year. We had Franklin good girl who could play defense and rebound but couldn't put ball in hoop even on layup if somebody was closer than 3 feet. The Daily Twins one was pretty much hurt all season with limited time and other one was quick enough to play but she is undersized where she was often being beaten because of this lack of strength. Also her shooting was streaky and I don't think the style of game that UND played was meant for her she would have fit in well with Sacramento State. Now Reinke could well become very good guard for UND she played good defense and towards end of year was showing she could score. Then in Reno she was delivering some offense and she is  pulled and never returns this was happening all year long with UND with different players.  Freije to me was amazing in that when you keep changing her roles and where she was to get her shots from that she could produce like she did. Klabo had a good season but I thought when you needed bucket she had hard time getting herself in position where she was going to score and I don't know if that was her or the coaching because so many times they would get something to work and then they would leave it and never come back to it. Und is going to have now very difficult time in the Summit Conference this coming year they have no guards of caliber that the two South Dakota schools have now they have lost one of their better front line players for coming year. Freije was giving UND in conference play until she got hurt about 14 points a game, 8 to 9 rebounds, and strong big body inside that also could help transition ball up the court.  Dooly can make up some of the rebounding but she doesn't have offense skills to become a scorer and doesn't have the time to develop these skills. Leet girl has some unique skills but she lacks foot speed to defend in division I basketball she is truly tweener in that she has shooting ability and size of division I but lacks the speed could be used in right situations effectively and definitely gives good depth at front line. UND is going need now power forward, point guard, and could use another guard that can play both guard positions. Then they are going to need to add some depth because they were playing with very short bench at end of the year. Like I said it looked to me last year Brewster mailed in his coaching effort didn't get type of recruits he needed to help this team, didn't see a lot of adjustments made to play to this teams strength, and was consistently out coached on floor number of times. To me was coach that was way over confident and one that got out worked last year.  The other questions then is what was happening internally on assistant coaching I have no idea but if I was Athletic director these are some things I would want to know because this could tell you what is really happening in this program.   

Freije's  numbers were she had average 30.5  minutes a game, scoring average 14.5 pts per game, and average of 8.5 rebounds a game until she got hurt in Weber game. She missed next 4 games and most minutes she played was in final game of 29 minutes with rest games played at less than 20 minutes. Klabo's numbers were she had 29.9 minutes a game, 19 pts a game, and 9.3 rebounds a game. These are big numbers to replace on team that already is need of several players. If I was betting man reason for leaving she was told she would have significant less roll on the team and were cutting here ride money. I know she liked playing in front of family and neighbors here and I believe that was one of the reasons she chose to play for UND in the beginning. 

18 hours ago, sprig said:

Moton to NDSU for track (shotput)

Rumor

Very talented  but visit with any parent or teammate from WFHS about her and her parents and you'll get the same response. This is another case of addition by subtraction if she goes.

On 3/23/2018 at 3:04 PM, hky said:

Hope Chaves has his ear to the ground.  Women's BB has had a problem for a while.

Had early success including a dance trip but has struggled lately, if Brew can't win in the Summit after the first couple seasons or flop big time after season one in the SL its time to look elsewhere, same for Brian Jones. Seems like both basketball coaches are on the hot seat. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Winning an autobid in the Summit is going to be a hell of a lot harder than it was in the Big Sky. 

Tougher? Yes

But the expectation will be that both teams will be in the mix year 1.  If both team hit the bottom of the league standings, then discussions need to be had to improve the situation. 

7 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Playing in SDSU and USD’s backyard during the tournament isn’t going to help. 

If your team is the best and plays like the better team this won't matter as much.  Ask our Bison friends about that. If they can do it, we can do it. 

39 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Tougher? Yes

But the expectation will be that both teams will be in the mix year 1.  If both team hit the bottom of the league standings, then discussions need to be had to improve the situation. 

If your team is the best and plays like the better team this won't matter as much.  Ask our Bison friends about that. If they can do it, we can do it. 

True.

Brewster history as coach since the beginning has been not been one of consistency. Roebuck left him with very good nucleus to start the Big Sky and expectation were that UND would be able to compete right away. The first year was flop and there were question on his coaching. Second year is when he made his run to NCAA tournament but core of this team was from Roebuck era and I don't know if he was person who recruited these players but knowing Roebuck he would have had final say on anything to do with his team.  The following year he had team returning significant portion of the team with exception of Buck and Wall both valuable contributors but they had tremendous nucleus returning but again this team fizzled. The last couple of years the team has been successful but they never reached the potential a lot of people thought was capable of the team. One other change in since NCAA year was change in assistant coaches from Val Sussex to Adam Jacobson which I have no idea what  effect it had but it was change of assistant coaches from the Roebuck era.  The change I have seen is in type of players being recruited under Roebuck tenure he had recruited players like Buck, Loyd, Burck, and Lauck what you call undersized forwards for division I basketball but were quick and athletic could score either inside or outside and then he would find the very big dominate girl inside that could dominate the boards and could catch and score from these undersized forwards. Brewster has recruited the bigger forward with smaller guards to go along with these players that can run the floor push the basketball. But if you look at Summit conference both South Dakota schools have recruited forwards that Roebuck liked as players. The success SD schools have had and how they have controlled UND the past couple years is not comforting thought for us. These last 2 recruiting classes for UND have been flops with exception of one or two players who might develop into quality player and there has to be reason for this. I have heard through the grapevine that Brewster's reputation of playing mind games and way he handles his players has spread through talent pool. Todays athletes are connected to  each other and they know one another so your reputation precedes you before you even make contact with these athletes. This is what is worrying me because are we going to get first crack at the better talent in our region or are we going to have to look farther for talent. Already our first lauded recruit is from Australia.

The other thing is Brewster seems to have good year when storm clouds are rising like the NCAA year and last year when I heard there serious questions about program but he won conference and coach of year. But years after these usually have been total let down years. The difference this year is that he doesn't have talent weighting to play and he even has lost one of his top players for next year. Plus he's moving into conference that is loaded with talent he will have hard time matching up to next year unless he finds several players ready to play and can mesh with this team. I getting to think it was too bad Brewster opportunities move didn't materialize last year because we may be looking at bigger rebuilding than when we moved to division I.  

• Like 1

The McKeever girl from Ada is hands down a better guard than Manson from Sheyenne IMO. Both are juniors. The older McKeever sister is at USD. Brew hopefully doesn't miss on both sisters.

Having stopped in Vermillion to watch UND against the Yotes this year, on my way back from business. I saw Mckeever from USD and I thought she was dreadful and wasnt convinced that she would beat out many of our guards.  That is saying a lot.  I really thought going in that she was going to be a noticeable difference maker that we would regret missing out on, as our guards have been nothing to write home about.  I thought USD had some nice players, that were instrumental for them to come back and win, but it certainly had nothing to do with Mckeever.  All I’m saying is I’m not sure UND missed out on her, to my amateur eye.  

On 3/25/2018 at 7:09 PM, the green team said:

Having stopped in Vermillion to watch UND against the Yotes this year, on my way back from business. I saw Mckeever from USD and I thought she was dreadful and wasnt convinced that she would beat out many of our guards.  That is saying a lot.  I really thought going in that she was going to be a noticeable difference maker that we would regret missing out on, as our guards have been nothing to write home about.  I thought USD had some nice players, that were instrumental for them to come back and win, but it certainly had nothing to do with Mckeever.  All I’m saying is I’m not sure UND missed out on her, to my amateur eye.  

She was SL 6th woman of the year as a fresh IIRC.

On 3/25/2018 at 4:20 PM, Oxbow6 said:

The McKeever girl from Ada is hands down a better guard than Manson from Sheyenne IMO. Both are juniors. The older McKeever sister is at USD. Brew hopefully doesn't miss on both sisters.

Mariah isn't even on the same planet as her older sister.  

10 minutes ago, natstar1 said:

She was SL 6th woman of the year as a fresh IIRC.

Mariah isn't even on the same planet as her older sister.  

Point one.........correct

Point two.......Mariah isn't as good as her big sister but she is still better some guards Brew had recruited in the last couple years.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Point one.........correct

Point two.......Mariah isn't as good as her big sister but she is still better some guards Brew had recruited in the last couple years.

Really sad if true. 

Is this an actual thing though...is UND looking at McKeever?  If you told me she committed to MSUM I would tell you she is in way over her head.  I'd take DGF's Natalie Steichen over McKeever.

So back at the end of Feb. I went with the significant other to a conference in Denver. I was on a flight with a nice man who I chatted with for a bit. Ended up standing in line with him at the car rental place. I noticed he had a frozen four tag on his bag and started to talk UND hockey with him. During our conversation I mentioned I worked at UND and he told me he was in town to head to Greeley to watch his daughter and the UND women’s BB game as his daughter played for us, his daughter was Fallyn. We chatted a little bit more but he mentioned the juniors were disappointed that this is their last season in the Big Sky and they wouldn’t be able to finish their careers playing in the Big Sky next season. I didnt think anything of it until news that Fallyn was going to transfer. It didn’t surprise me in the least she went to another Big Sky school which would make sense given the conversation I had with her father. 

2 hours ago, crb1 said:

So back at the end of Feb. I went with the significant other to a conference in Denver. I was on a flight with a nice man who I chatted with for a bit. Ended up standing in line with him at the car rental place. I noticed he had a frozen four tag on his bag and started to talk UND hockey with him. During our conversation I mentioned I worked at UND and he told me he was in town to head to Greeley to watch his daughter and the UND women’s BB game as his daughter played for us, his daughter was Fallyn. We chatted a little bit more but he mentioned the juniors were disappointed that this is their last season in the Big Sky and they wouldn’t be able to finish their careers playing in the Big Sky next season. I didnt think anything of it until news that Fallyn was going to transfer. It didn’t surprise me in the least she went to another Big Sky school which would make sense given the conversation I had with her father. 

Did you get the sense that the juniors were a little unsure about the seemingly bigger challenge that the Summit might bring with the South Dakota schools and all.  Maybe they sensed the road to a title would be a little easier in the familiar territory of the Big Sky. I don’t know. Interesting.