SiouxSports.com Forum

2017-18 Season

SWSiouxMN

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

Reinke never came back in the game after hitting her 2 three pointers.  Franklin played the remainder of the second half and scored one point and got beat on a drive to the basket.  Frustrating.

Hahaha. Hits two threes and then never plays again...classic.  

On 2/28/2018 at 9:25 PM, darell1976 said:

I would give Brew one season into the Summit League and if it’s as bad as this one then time to look to someone else.

It is indeed a sad state of affairs for North Dakota athletics when you can say "I'll give him one more season" about almost every coach (ok, Berry has a bit longer leash, but the fall of Sioux hockey and lack of recruits is shocking).  

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, Big Lubowski said:

So your “logic” is still: if they didn’t do it last year, they can’t do it this year.  Glad you’re not Brew. I’m sure he doesn’t think that way, or any other coach, for that matter.

Theyre 5-0 at home. Unless you were at the away games, all you’ve seen in person were wins. They can make up for the two close conference road losses when they get Idaho and EWU at home. They’re going to get better. They have been fun to watch.

Hindsight is 22-20 I realize but they got so painful to watch I quit watching them the last 5 or 6 games. Got tired of watching countless, mindless, dumb unforced turnovers, poor 36% shooting, no 3pt consistency, etc.  Painful. 

21 minutes ago, Jerry said:

The freshmen and sophomores at USD, SDSU, and even NDSU are much better than ours.  We will be respectable next year in the Summit with Klabo and Freije but then it looks bleak.

I wouldn’t lump these two together. One is head and shoulders better then the other. 

UND season ended with the same glaring fault they have had all year. They are in desperate need of point guard and the the truth be said they were need of several  guards this year. The Daily Twins didn't live up to what they were billed as they didn't shoot well enough and they weren't strong enough to play defense when they were posted low. Then add in Chasity Franklin in ability to shoot the ball it made it impossible for UND to score with there big girls. UND needs to bring in at least one guard next year ready to play that can shoot and quick enough to play in the Summit conference. They will need to also add some more team quickness in there guards for next year or its even going to be longer season for them. Its been such a waste of big talent this year it has shown all year long with loss of last years guards what it has meant to this team. Also they are going to have to work on team quickness in the off season because what I have seen of the Summit the two South Dakota teams are very quick so were going to need some better guard play to let UND big girls work in side wearing down these two teams. Brewster didn't do stellar job of coaching this year I think he was over confident and was relying to much on Franklin and Daily and should of used the Freshman more than he did. Also they ran play with Klabo at top of the key who fed into Freije who then returned to Klabo for layup but they only ran that play couple of times I would have run that play until Montana showed they could stop those Two inside. I have felt all year they would have success with something and then would get away from it wonder why he wasn't coaching them to use that plays until they showed they could stop it. I feel UND has lot of questions going into next year where I began the year with that they could win the Big Sky and be posed to be real contender in the Summit. Now I am worried if they can even be in top 4 of the league.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Not happy that Fallyn F is leaving the UND team!

Wonder what is going on.  She said she wasn't ready to speak about it now, but might be in a week or so.  Team related, or personal?

Just speculating but this has look of Brewster pulling part of her athletic scholarship money and telling her they want to play lesser of roll for UND. I don't like it that she leaving the program your loosing a leader and big contributor not what you want in long run for the program. She is just shy of 150 points of being 1000 point scorer for UND just a bad deal for UND basketball. This past year it wasn't fallyn the problem with this team it was poor guard play they received all year long. Also the moves Brewster made this past year in coaching left something to be desired like even in last game of the year pulling Reinke in final game. I just think he tries to many mind games with these women and I have heard this before in past years. Also have heard through grapevine that he lost recruits because of this reputation of playing mind games with his teams. I sure hope the new Athletic director is taking notes here not good PR for the school and again its with womens side of Athletics where UND is handling it poorly with Women Athlete. I wish Fallyn success where she goes has to be hard decision on her part leaving after 3 years and it sure is North Dakota loss to loose one of its star players and home grown coming into her final season. It going to be difficult to recruit for UND home grown talent in the future.

5 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

Just speculating but this has look of Brewster pulling part of her athletic scholarship money and telling her they want to play lesser of roll for UND. I don't like it that she leaving the program your loosing a leader and big contributor not what you want in long run for the program. She is just shy of 150 points of being 1000 point scorer for UND just a bad deal for UND basketball. This past year it wasn't fallyn the problem with this team it was poor guard play they received all year long. Also the moves Brewster made this past year in coaching left something to be desired like even in last game of the year pulling Reinke in final game. I just think he tries to many mind games with these women and I have heard this before in past years. Also have heard through grapevine that he lost recruits because of this reputation of playing mind games with his teams. I sure hope the new Athletic director is taking notes here not good PR for the school and again its with womens side of Athletics where UND is handling it poorly with Women Athlete. I wish Fallyn success where she goes has to be hard decision on her part leaving after 3 years and it sure is North Dakota loss to loose one of its star players and home grown coming into her final season. It going to be difficult to recruit for UND home grown talent in the future.

The strikethrough thing is interesting.  

This past season Brewster performance as coach was like a mailed in performance. I believe it started last year I think he lost the belief of the team at end of the season and maybe he lost belief in the team or he was thinking of moving on and it didn't happen. I look at two seasons we had injured key players in Szabla last year and after she was hurt he hardly used her like she was damaged goods and now this year we had Fallyn Freije get hurt and after she was ready used her sparingly again like she was damaged goods.  In most sports if you are started when you return healthy again you start again until you loose your job but with Brewster you have to prove your self that you can be used again. Not a good mind game with modern athletes and the way kids communicate now with social media you can get a bad reputation in very short time. But Brewster coaching this past year was not top performance saw little improvement in team development and making adjustments through the year to overcome what other teams were doing to them. Best coaching job performances this past year was when we played Northern Iowa his former school and Northern Colorado a coach he spars with every year. Otherwise it was like a person going through the motions of coaching and i did not see that fire in belly of coach when he lost that wasn't going to happen again. If I were sum it up he had look of coach that didn't totally believe in the team he had on the floor. Maybe just guess he hates coaching at level he's at he wants bigger bite of the apple meaning he wanted coach major program where he can consistently advance through NCAA tournament each year not just fighting to get one done chance or couple of games in NIT or other tournament. His ego got to where he thinks he should be at bigger time program. Maybe way out line here but there's more going on than we been told.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

This past season Brewster performance as coach was like a mailed in performance. I believe it started last year I think he lost the belief of the team at end of the season and maybe he lost belief in the team or he was thinking of moving on and it didn't happen. I look at two seasons we had injured key players in Szabla last year and after she was hurt he hardly used her like she was damaged goods and now this year we had Fallyn Freije get hurt and after she was ready used her sparingly again like she was damaged goods.  In most sports if you are started when you return healthy again you start again until you loose your job but with Brewster you have to prove your self that you can be used again. Not a good mind game with modern athletes and the way kids communicate now with social media you can get a bad reputation in very short time. But Brewster coaching this past year was not top performance saw little improvement in team development and making adjustments through the year to overcome what other teams were doing to them. Best coaching job performances this past year was when we played Northern Iowa his former school and Northern Colorado a coach he spars with every year. Otherwise it was like a person going through the motions of coaching and i did not see that fire in belly of coach when he lost that wasn't going to happen again. If I were sum it up he had look of coach that didn't totally believe in the team he had on the floor. Maybe just guess he hates coaching at level he's at he wants bigger bite of the apple meaning he wanted coach major program where he can consistently advance through NCAA tournament each year not just fighting to get one done chance or couple of games in NIT or other tournament. His ego got to where he thinks he should be at bigger time program. Maybe way out line here but there's more going on than we been told.

I think what you're saying is pretty accurate.  I've never been a fan of Brewster as a coach and I'm hoping this program has a new direction in the near future.  Basketball mediocrity at UND has been accepted for far too long.

• Upvote 1