SiouxSports.com Forum

One Week Later

AJS

Just now, darell1976 said:

Heidi Heitkamp comparing the women's team to the men's 8 national titles. "women's hockey needs more time". You haven't won any title in 15 years of existence, how much time do you need Heidi. 

totally glossed over the giant elephant in the room.....2 million dollars a year!!!!

1 minute ago, Blackheart said:

Bob Ley did bring up the $1.9m yearly deficit and asked if this was a sustainable model.  Heitkamp says the sport is new and that it needs to be given more time.

i meant heidi...2 millions dollars...just give it time.

16 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Did you know ESPN refuses to spend a few grand to send a crew to with NCAA WIH championship?  Beyond that, they refuse to give up a couple hours of Sportscenter reruns on ESPN 8 to even air the game?  Women's fencing championship coverage? Yep.  Women's bowling championship coverage?  Yep.  Women's hockey?  Nope, CBS Sports can have that tax write-off.  But we (ESPN) are going to pretend to support you now.

yeah but, espn has a spelling bee to cover this time of year....  because that's sports, and stuff.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

totally glossed over the giant elephant in the room.....2 million dollars a year!!!!

Everybody keeps saying this but I read an article this week and was surprised to find out that football lost $2.9 million this year... I get it, football has a ton more potential than women's hockey but I was still surprised by that number

4 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Everybody keeps saying this but I read an article this week and was surprised to find out that football lost $2.9 million this year... I get it, football has a ton more potential than women's hockey but I was still surprised by that number

You reading the Lamoureux Times?  No they didn't.

2 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

According to this blog post from Rob Post (no idea if he's legit) football lost $2,923,313...

http://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry/und-sports-programs-lost-13-3-million-2016/

Apparel sales, Champions Club donations, and TV revenue not allocated.  Even so, $2.9 million over 100 students = $29,000 per student athlete.  WIH was $80,000 each.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Is he adding the direct institutional support?  That is a separate area.  Maybe that is how he got final numbers.

He excluded it for all sports. Makes the numbers look worse obviously.

Not sure I agree his method but it is arguable. It's more than likely a combination of "earned" and "unearned" revenue. Things like work study and mandated tuition waivers are included in there as are things like unrestricted funds and unrestricted endowment funds directed by the University.

The NCAA report is very useful, however it also has a significant amount of revenues and expenses that are unallocated and is by no means perfect. Wish more schools would make it public...