SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

10 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

How much more right could UND have done it than a $2 million per year loss?  And attendance was dropping. 

Get the coach and players out in the community.  Take a page out of bubba book.

Package deals for familys

new likable coach

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Kind of agree, but und is a little diffrerent.  How many hockey teams out draw their mbb team? At one point women's bb attendance was less then women's hockey attendance now.  Women bb started winning and fans would come for the women's bb game and leave before the mens game.

if done right attendance would have grown.

I'm guessing Penn State's hockey team might outdraw the men's hoops team.  

If done right, attendance would have grown.  What did we need, another 20 years at -$2million per year? 

14 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I'm guessing Penn State's hockey team might outdraw the men's hoops team.  

If done right, attendance would have grown.  What did we need, another 20 years at -$2million per year? 

No more money needed to be spent.  Other ways to promote product

10 minutes ago, Big Green said:

No more money needed to be spent.  Other ways to promote product

No more money needed to spent...other ways to promote the product...

Hmnnn...how do you promote a product without it costing any money?  Craigslist?  

• Upvote 2

Just now, MafiaMan said:

No more money needed to spent...other ways to promote the product, eh?  Hmnnn...how do you promote a product without it costing more money?  Craigslist?  

funny...spotted on craiglist gf...two free wih tickets against bemidji!! quietest ad on criaglist ever.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Big Green said:

They would only get a couple hundred fans in the 80' for WBB.  Not sure on exact year as I was young.  Less than w. Hockey gets now

Terrible argument.

In the 80s there were still 100s of women's basketball programs. It was a young game with great growth potential, given the size and success of their male counterparts (200ish male DI programs that had been around for some 50 years).

Conversely there are 35 women's hockey teams. A whole 35 programs (and we're fully funded, have 1 of the best facilities in the world, and can't even crack the top 8!). On the side of their male counterparts, there are 60 men's programs. College hockey is an expensive sport with a very limited recruiting base. You don't see programs banging down the door to add college hockey programs. There's a reason for that.

As we've seen, women's college hockey is VERY expensive. 35 teams. Not many institutions interested in adding it. There's a clear distinction between "young" and "no market". 

It isn't difficult to see.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Big Green said:

They would only get a couple hundred fans in the 80' for WBB.  Not sure on exact year as I was young.  Less than w. Hockey gets now

When Roebuck arrived and they got good in late 80s it was pretty consistent for crowds.

If it was a good product, people would show up, period. This team could have had 18 Olympians on it and it wouldn't matter. People weren't interested, if they were they would have shown up. I don't see how this is even an argument. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

No more money needed to spent...other ways to promote the product...

Hmnnn...how do you promote a product without it costing any money?  Craigslist?  

Get the team and coach out in the Community.

I see bubba out all the time.  Always visiting with people . He sends tweets out all the time. 

10 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Get the team and coach out in the Community.

I see bubba out all the time.  Always visiting with people . He sends tweets out all the time. 

"Honey, I ran into Coach Idalski at Hugo's today and he just posted something on Twitter!"

"SWEET!  I'll call the box office tomorrow and order us up a pair of season tickets!"

Yea, that's not gonna happen...

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

It's really a shame it came to this. Realistically we were a coach away from a championship team with the players we had. Idalski not getting canned or resigned at the end of the year raised some pretty major red flags.

It was odd when he wasn't let go the Monday after the season ended.  When the Title IX consultant came into the picture that's when the alarm bells should have sounded.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

It was odd when he wasn't let go the Monday after the season ended.  When the Title IX consultant came into the picture that's when the alarm bells should have sounded.

The title IX consultant was a big sign.  Unfortunately (if someone has mentioned it I apologize) deadspin picked up on Brad's tweets and Lauren's and wrote an article: http://deadspin.com/north-dakota-cuts-womens-hockey-and-leaves-recruit-out-1793872610

I am now with an earlier comment made by UNDColorado who (maybe along with others) painted Brad's twitter feed as shall I say harmful...I like his articles on info relating to college hockey but the tweets about WIH are not helpful.  Certainly seemed like an agenda...as opposed to a reporter...

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

The book has been out on Brad for awhile, he's a very good beat reporter when it comes to covering UND Men's hockey. That being said, there are certain subjects that he goes from reporter to activist. This is a huge problem, because instead of reporting all the facts and stating both sides of something, like any activist, he can only see one side. The problem yesterday, is he is one of the main sources of information for this huge event. A lot of eyes were on him, most who hadn't been following this story closely and we all saw how that ended up. Disappointing, embarrassing, are just a few words to describe how he handled it. You just can't leave out 1/2 the story when you are one of the main sources. Not only leave out the why, but grab anything you could to make the administration and UND look as bad as possible, he was hell bent on it.  If you've followed him for awhile, it couldn't have been less surprising though sadly. 

Unfortunately I think it is the state of the 'internet reporting world' for lack of a better term.  It is not about *actual* reporting but being the first to scoop or getting click bait...  Not the real detail in the articles unless it is specifically about college hockey games...    

38 minutes ago, shep said:

If Brad's "agenda" was to realize that a cut of the WH program would be a benefit to the FB, WBB and MBB programs and even the WVB program, then I'm on board with his "biases".

You may want to expand on what you're saying (i.e., do you agree with these potential biases or are you now in understanding of these potential biases).

You may be trying to crank out a negative response from some, or perhaps I just misunderstood your post, but I'm a bit concerned about the potential lack of understanding of DI athletics from a national perspective. I fear the DII mindset hasn't left as many people as I would hope it had by now. 

A political, and subsequently educational and collegiate athletics, issue that has plagued the region and state of North Dakota for decades has been isolationism.

Unfortunately, many local traditionalists are certainly terrified that progressive movements will recognize logic and disrupt the inadequate status quo, and as such, fight hard to resist said progress. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You may want to expand on what you're saying.

You may be trying to crank out a negative response from some, or perhaps I just misunderstood your post, but I'm a bit concerned about the potential lack of understanding of DI athletics from a national perspective. 

A political, and subsequently educational and collegiate athletics, issue that has plagued the region and state of North Dakota for decades has been isolationism.

Unfortunately, many local traditionalists are certainly terrified that progressive movements will recognize logic and disrupt the inadequate status quo. 

You may want to expand on what you are saying?  What is the purpose of higher education?  What is the mission statement of UND?  Maybe there is a local perception in GF off campus, but that would not be on campus.

13 hours ago, CMSioux said:

I always thought it was strange that they couldn't find enough quality recruits in the US so they had to go to Europe and recruit which must have added to the budget issues. I suppose part of the reason was one of the coaches was from Europe (was it Finland?). 

Any kid from Minnesota is a better recruit than any European kid. Huge mistakes made by the coaching staff. Sure the Europeans look awesome again other European teams, but you get them here playing against Canadian and American players and they are average at best.