SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

For some it does.  Sadly.

This is very true, and not coincidentally those are the same folks making the uneducated comments regarding the current situation. 

Uninformed, localized individuals making uninformed, stereotypical comments .... sad deal. 

30 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

2 appearances in 15 years, with a program that just started.  We can debate if Idalski was the right guy another time, but that fact is, bouncy ball will always just be a cute little program that will be measured by getting into a tournament that will have them be a whipping post to a far superior team.  Oh yeah, I forgot..... we get to do that with a 1.4 million audience.

Penn State is a program that just started, not UND. The way people talk about the Olympians that have been apart/are apart of this program, you'd think they would have a National Title or two by now.

Basketball gets UND exposure and if they would have upset Arizona, everyone would be talking about it. ESPN and SB Nation would put it in a list of greatest upsets that everyone would talk about for years. Is basketball going the win a National Title? No, not unless Phil Jackson decided to coach the team. 

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Does anybody else get the feeling that the Women's Hockey players think they're way more important than they are?  Their responses on twitter are embarrassing.  

Like UND owed them something.  News flash:  they cut two other programs, also.  Two programs that were a hell of a lot better than your's.  

And to top it off S&D actually has a history of success, unlike womens slappy puck.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The 2015 numbers I have (source given previously) says to cut nominally (within $100k of Expenses) what they cut by cutting WIH, MSD, WSD, they'd have to cut:

- WGolf, MTen, WTen, MIT&F, MOT&F, WIT&F, WOT&F, MCC, WCC, and Volleyball. 

Then again, if it's just hit that dollar amount (of WIH, MSD, WSD), 

- MSD, WSD, MTen, WTen, MIT&F, MOT&F, WIT&F, WOT&F, MCC, WCC. 

Yes, I'm saying nominally WIH cost the same as MTen, WTen, MIT&F, MOT&F, WIT&F, WOT&F, MCC, WCC. 

So cut 1 sport that affects 25 aesthetes, or cut 8 sports that affects far more and virtually makes us ineligible to join any conference because we don't sponsor enough sports.  Math is hard for some people, but this is a pretty easy one!!

8 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Penn State is a program that just started, not UND. The way people talk about the Olympians that have been apart/are apart of this program, you'd think they would have a National Title or two by now.

Basketball gets UND exposure and if they would have upset Arizona, everyone would be talking about it. ESPN and SB Nation would put it in a list of greatest upsets that everyone would talk about for years. Is basketball going the win a National Title? No, not unless Phil Jackson decided to coach the team. 

Yea, Phil's done a bang-up job of building the Knicks into title condenders, hasn't he?  

#easytowinwhenyourbestplayersareKobeShaqMichaelandScottie

14 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Does anybody else get the feeling that the Women's Hockey players think they are way more important than they are?  Their responses on twitter are embarrassing.  

Like UND owed them something.  News flash:  they cut two other programs, also.  Two programs that were a hell of a lot better than yours.  

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is very true, and not coincidentally those are the same folks making the uneducated comments regarding the current situation. 

Uninformed, localized individuals making uninformed, stereotypical comments .... sad deal. 

But where will Finland and Germany's respective Olympians play college hockey now?  :(

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yes, you are correct; however, the complacency of the hockey crowd could hurt them some. Basketball has many followers in the region and it certainly could grow rapidly. Same goes for football. Those sports can grow and grow fast in this region. Hockey is already maxed out. In fact, we just witnessed it have to get cut down to a more logical size after yesterday's events. 

If some alum gave UND men's basketball a $100 million gift then I'm pretty sure things would be a little different in the ol' hockey town of Grand Forks. 

I'll try not to hold my breath for that.

12 minutes ago, UND08 said:

I didn't realize that UND's athletic footprint begins...and ends in Grand Forks County...

It'd be great if you stopped making up thing that I didn't post, thanks

In 2016, a college football or men's basketball coach was the highest-paid public employee in 39 of the 50 U.S. states.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19019077/highest-paid-us-employees-dominated-college-football-college-basketball-coaches?sf66823110=1

Sorry, but there were no men's hockey coaches, and certainly no women's hockey coaches, to be found. I guess North Dakota is still leading the nation in moral insight, though, right? That thought process always helps the know-it-all locals sleep at night. 

Even the "State of Hockey" pays more to a "bouncy ball" coach ... wow, can you believe it? 

The truth hurts if you're one-sided with the minority. 

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Yea, Phil's done a bang-up job of building the Knicks into title condenders, hasn't he?  

#easytowinwhenyourbestplayersareKobeShaqMichaelandScottie

Would you say he would have done better with the Knicks as their coach then as their GM or what ever he is there?

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Would you say he would have done better with the Knicks as their coach then as their GM or what ever he is there?

I would say that you or I could have coached the Shaq & Kobe Lakers or the Michael & Scottie Bulls to at least 1 title.  

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I would say that you or I could have coached the Shaq & Kobe Lakers or the Michael & Scottie Bulls to at least 1 title.  

I don't know about that. What I was getting at was it's going to take a lot of luck for UND to win a title in basketball.

20 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I'll try not to hold my breath for that.

The point is that the REA was not God's gift from Heaven to Grand Forks due to unparalleled hockey fandom ... UND hockey is in a very fortunate position with that building. Many other big-time hockey universities do not have that luxury. Yet, even with that luxury for UND, the almighty hockey programs of the impeccable hockey town of Grand Forks took a hit. 

Take note: the lesson is that hockey popularity (and feasibility) is far more fragile than you want it to be, even in Grand Forks and North Dakota. 

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Tell us how you REALLY feel about hockey at UND.

Sheeeeeeeeeesh.............................................................

#fbonly

How do I really feel? I feel that hockey is not untouchable at UND, which before yesterday, many thought was the case. A false narrative that floated around here was women's hockey could never be touched at UND due to the "hockey culture". That self-entitled attitude apparently rubbed off onto some of the student-athletes as evidenced by social media. 

Your hyperbole with the whole "UND football only" is way off. I have season tickets for UND men's hockey and enjoy supporting that program; however, I shouldn't be taken to task just for enjoying football and basketball more. That is another area that UND and its "fans" need to improve on: undue criticism. 

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The point is that the REA was not God's gift from Heaven to Grand Forks due to unparalleled hockey fandom ... UND hockey is in a very fortunate position with that building. Many other big-time hockey universities do not have that luxury. Yet, even with that luxury for UND, the almighty hockey programs of the impeccable hockey town of Grand Forks took a hit. 

Take note: the lesson is that hockey popularity (and feasibility) is far more fragile than you want it to be, even in Grand Forks and North Dakota. 

Equating the UND women's program to the Men's is silly and you know it is. That's why 12,000 show up on Friday nights and 200 showed up on Saturday afternoons. One has been around for about 80+ years, the other only lasted 15. We won 7 national championships before that incredible building was gifted to us and disappointingly only 1 since it opened... yet the fans still flock there every weekend. They'll probably shutter the Medical school to save money before cutting men's hockey... kidding ... or am I? :glare:

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Equating the UND women's program to the Men's is silly and you know it is. That's why 12,000 show up on Friday nights and 200 showed up on Saturday afternoons. One has been around for about 80+ years, the other only lasted 15. We won 7 national championships before that incredible building was gifted to us and disappointingly only 1 since it opened... yet the fans still flock there every weekend. They'll probably shutter the Medical school to save money before cutting men's hockey... kidding ... or am I? :glare:

Way to create a moving target. I'm only referencing claims implied way earlier. 

I would hope you're kidding, but unfortunately I doubt the thought-process of many around here (both this forum and region). 

• Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

It'd be great if you stopped making up thing that I didn't post, thanks

You said "In Grand Forks? Nope, hockey is THE sport"...most schools use athletics as a way to gain exposure and attract new students...substantially all potential for UND exposure growth resides in sports that don't involve a puck...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UND08 said:

You said "In Grand Forks? Nope, hockey is THE sport"...most schools use athletics as a way to gain exposure and attract new students...substantially all potential for UND exposure growth resides in sports that don't involve a puck...

You're either missing or intentionally twisting what I'm trying to say and the cost/benefit analysis of trying to walk ya through it isn't worth the effort. Have a good one.

13 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Start a women's NHL and put a Minnesota Vixens team in the Xcel Center and you'll still hear crickets chirping in there most days of the week too.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Start a women's NHL and put a Minnesota Vixens team in the Xcel Center and you'll still hear crickets chirping in there most days of the week too.  

Vixens?  You mean like these gals?

vixen-01