SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

16 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Now that UND's ncaa WIH program is gone, any chance UND starts up a club level WIH program to compete with the ndsu's of the upper great plains?  Is the UND men's club hockey team still alive?

UND Club team played a few games this year, saw it on their FB page

5 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Looks like a couple of WH players are not going to get their UND Housing linen deposit back.

IMG_20170331_0824037.thumb.jpg.f0b8b021ba72d4bcc4866b00a7c48cdf.jpg

WowZa. Whine and fuss all you want on social media, but these girls are taking it to a new level. 

Put the emotions aside and look at the numbers, inform-ya-self.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, AJS said:

The book has been out on Brad for awhile, he's a very good beat reporter when it comes to covering UND Men's hockey. That being said, there are certain subjects that he goes from reporter to activist. This is a huge problem, because instead of reporting all the facts and stating both sides of something, like any activist, he can only see one side. The problem yesterday, is he is one of the main sources of information for this huge event. A lot of eyes were on him, most who hadn't been following this story closely and we all saw how that ended up. Disappointing, embarrassing, are just a few words to describe how he handled it. You just can't leave out 1/2 the story when you are one of the main sources. Not only leave out the why, but grab anything you could to make the administration and UND look as bad as possible, he was hell bent on it.  If you've followed him for awhile, it couldn't have been less surprising though sadly. 

I get what you are saying but why is this solely on Brad's shoulders?  He has an editor and Forum Communication should want to get this right. To be fair, Miller wrote the "it could be good for other sports piece". And ultimately they are using what is fed to them via press releases and quotes from UND's administration. If you want to be mad at the message UND is the source and did a terrible job of laying out the black and white position based on the financials and cutting the smallest amount of athletes.

This also has to be said.  For all of you embarrassed, upset, mad at UND and/or Brad, remember the real source of the issue is the North Dakota budget.  Instead of directing all of your anger at the school realize every administrator from UND was put in a lose-lose position based on events almost entirely out of their hands.  Did they handle it perfectly?...no.  Was there a perfect way to handle it?...no.  Being upset is justified just always make sure to point it in the direction best positioned to deal with it...in this case your legislator if you live in ND. 

PS- Please do not make this a political thread. I'm simply pointing out the problem was bigger than UND and therefore blame should be bigger than UND. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, TNF said:

I get what you are saying but why is this solely on Brad's shoulders?  He has an editor and Forum Communication should want to get this right. To be fair, Miller wrote the "it could be good for other sports piece". And ultimately they are using what is fed to them via press releases and quotes from UND's administration. If you want to be mad at the message UND is the source and did a terrible job of laying out the black and white position based on the financials and cutting the smallest amount of athletes.

This also has to be said.  For all of you embarrassed, upset, mad at UND and/or Brad, remember the real source of the issue is the North Dakota budget.  Instead of directing all of your anger at the school realize every administrator from UND was put in a lose-lose position based on events almost entirely out of their hands.  Did they handle it perfectly?...no.  Was there a perfect way to handle it?...no.  Being upset is justified just always make sure to point it in the direction best positioned to deal with it...in this case your legislator if you live in ND. 

PS- Please do not make this a political thread. I'm simply pointing out the problem was bigger than UND and therefore blame should be bigger than UND. 

Last thing I'm going to say about Brad, but come on. Go through his timeline Wednesday. If you think he tried to get out any financials or would have, you're nuts. He was on a mission that day (and still is) to torpedo the University for what they did to WIH. That's a fact.

Edit: Torpedo might be the wrong word, but like I said earlier, he is hell bent on making them look as bad as possible while only giving 1/2 the story.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

Pathetic.

Complete lack of understanding and empathy for anyone, but themselves.  Over the last two years, many good people at UND (Admin, Staff and Faculty) have lost their jobs.  Their Jobs!  Advocating for more firings to save sports losing a combined $2M-$3M annually is completely out of touch with reality.  

BTW - The Herald's staff were on the scene with video and it looks like guys hanging the banners so I am not attributing this to any specific team on campus. 

So ... cut administration, eh? 

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2017/02/starting-from-the-top/ 

Alice Brekke? Gone.
Laurie Betting? Gone. Not replaced; duties reassigned.
Peter Johnson? Gone. Position eliminated.

Research & Economic Development? Reorg'd. Two exec positions -- gone. 

Et cetera. Et cetera. Et cetera. 

Enjoy the read. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

Pathetic.

I don't understand the gleeful grave dancing that has reared its head on this board in the last 48 hours.  Agree with the decision all you want (I do), but shaudenfruede is a bad look and doesn't belong anywhere in this conversation. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

It would be nice if the Herald actually linked back to their own story on UND admin cuts in the story about the banners, but I'm probably expecting too much of their reporters.  Instead, they cite the 1,300 people that signed a change.org petition.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, PhillySioux said:

I don't understand the gleeful grave dancing that has reared its head on this board in the last 48 hours.  Agree with the decision all you want (I do), but shaudenfruede is a bad look and doesn't belong anywhere in this conversation. 

Why not?  UND finally made the right decision for the betterment of the athletic department as a whole.  We all saw it, they finally did, also.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, HawksHoops said:

Complete lack of understanding and empathy for anyone, but themselves.  Over the last two years, many good people at UND (Admin, Staff and Faculty) have lost their jobs.  Their Jobs!  Advocating for more firings to save sports losing a combined $2M-$3M annually is completely out of touch with reality.  

BTW - The Herald's crack staff were on the scene with video and it looks like guys hanging the banners so I am not attributing this to any specific team on campus. 

Very good to know.

In general, it's tough when you are the one that is impacted, but now you're just making a bad situation, much worse. Like someone else said, the complete lack of awareness for faculty that have been cut is disgusting.

Let's just get through this next month and a half, UND will be much better and stronger than they were before.

12 minutes ago, PhillySioux said:

Honestly, I don't see a great deal of "grave dancing". 

What I do see is a great deal of purely emotional response to the decisions.
And many people trying to point out the harsh economic realities that were the basis of the decisions. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

It's my understanding that admin are being cut, with a machete rather than a knife to the tune of like 20%. Is that incorrect?

They meant cut admin, as in all of it. "I can do it my self!" Sound familiar? Pretty sure I said that a time or two when I was 3.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So ... cut administration, eh? 

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2017/02/starting-from-the-top/ 

Alice Brekke? Gone.
Laurie Betting? Gone. Not replaced; duties reassigned.
Peter Johnson? Gone. Position eliminated.

Research & Economic Development? Reorg'd. Two exec positions -- gone. 

Et cetera. Et cetera. Et cetera. 

Enjoy the read. 

... and how many of those salaries topped the $80,000 per player figure that was pointed on some threads?

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Seriously? 
How many didn't is the question.

That's what I'm saying, you couldn't find something else to cut that would yield more towards the deficit than the women's hockey team.