SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I asked this question a week ago but don't think any of the pro-Jones folks have provided a response.  I will ask it again.

I believe he deserves at least next year as I believe with the transition along with injuries and other elements he gets a pass into next year.  I don't always agree with what he does but I probably won't agree 100% with any coach.  UND is not ever going to get 4-5 star recruits but I believe he has a very good foundation coming in next year with this years youth and I would hate to lose these players before we get to see what they can do.

I asked this question a week ago but don't think any of the pro-Jones folks have provided a response.  I will ask it again.

I posted following response to another statement,, and will add to it...

Hooker ,Crandall, Seales  Shields, Shanks, Bernstine, Collins, Tyler, DeRouen,  McDermott, and others get to 2nd or 3rd in conference, get a quality road win, and get to semis or finals of Big Sky tourney...

Good enough? Then what? Let Jones coach his last year under lame duck contract? or Renew? or get rid of him because (insert excuse), and find a new/better coach that can do more with the talent that years team has? (its possible there would be transfers or drops from new coaching regime)

Note:  i have no problem saying goodbye if this team doesn't make a run to the championship.  But asking where the marker is.

I think he has good assistants that recruit well and he seals the deal. In my dealings with him he has always been straight forward and to the point, no bs. I believe he has an understanding of the game and knows how he wants to play. He is trying to get his players to play high intensity defense and working off that to get offense. Right now its difficult to see anything cohesive offensively because the guys haven't played with each other a lot.  But you see moments.  As stated above, he should get next year with his group of players recruited with no issues, conference and division transfer. If you see serious team improvement and better results, then what? lame duck years are tough. If UND isnt in the top 3 spots and not making a championship run, then I think he has to go.

Talking to ball players and other coaches, drawing from their input, and what I know. I think he is decent.  I dont think he is a very good coach, but I think he should get next year.

• Upvote 2

I'll answer a question with a question.

What are the odds a new coach does better than Jones?

Unless you pay good money to somehow bring in a proven coach which is very unlikely....you get an unproven coach that all you can do is hope pans out....just like hiring Jones.

Nobody knew who Jones was and I don't think he was on anyone's top list of finalists (except the AD I guess).

UND could easily get a coach worse than Jones.

You're asking people to predict the future.

How about hire a basketball coach with previous collegiate head coaching experience (probably at the DII level for affordability purposes) and head coaching success (winning HC record).

Jones had no collegiate head coaching experience prior to being hired at UND. It was a shot in the dark to hire him and I think there are a lot better coaches out there that would be willing to coach at UND.

How about hire a basketball coach with previous collegiate head coaching experience (probably at the DII level for affordability purposes) and head coaching success (winning HC record).

Jones had no collegiate head coaching experience prior to being hired at UND. It was a shot in the dark to hire him and I think there are a lot better coaches out there that would be willing to coach at UND.

I believe hiring Jones was a Tom Buning move.  No wonder he's not here anymore.

The hiring of Jones among the candidates was a head scratcher...and we are currently seeing the results of that.

I'm Darrell of 9 years ago...http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/5739-should-rich-glas-resign-or-be-fired/

But I had the timing right as it was Rich's last year.

And if you wanna scroll through memory lane to learn from the mistakes (such as the controversy surrounding UND's preference of Division I or II coaching experience plus a master's degree.)...http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/5512-potential-head-mens-basketball-coaches/

Click the link above to see what the first person to mention Jones in that thread said (page 7):

Brian Jones is a joke, I have seen him many times and talked with him several times, he was let go by Alford at Iowa, and not many around here like Alford so what does that tell you, if he even gets an interveiw thats not good.

Couple other interesting quotes (page 18):

For that reason, I am not opposed to Brown, but would have big problems with a Weemer or Jones hire. Most of the people I've spoken with feel the same.

I really don't know what the big problem about Jones is. I'm glad he ended up with the job. I think there were probably better candidates who applied, but he was by far the best of the four finalists, and is way more qualified than Smith. He spent the last seven seasons as an assistant at a DI university that is a member of the oldest and most storied conference in the history of the NCAA, and one of the top members of that conference as well. He also is familiar with the NCC, which unfortunately, UND will be a member of for the foreseeable future.

I posted following response to another statement,, and will add to it...

Hooker ,Crandall, Seales  Shields, Shanks, Bernstine, Collins, Tyler, DeRouen,  McDermott, and others get to 2nd or 3rd in conference, get a quality road win, and get to semis or finals of Big Sky tourney...

Good enough? Then what? Let Jones coach his last year under lame duck contract? or Renew? or get rid of him because (insert excuse), and find a new/better coach that can do more with the talent that years team has? (its possible there would be transfers or drops from new coaching regime)

Note:  i have no problem saying goodbye if this team doesn't make a run to the championship.  But asking where the marker is.

I think he has good assistants that recruit well and he seals the deal. In my dealings with him he has always been straight forward and to the point, no bs. I believe he has an understanding of the game and knows how he wants to play. He is trying to get his players to play high intensity defense and working off that to get offense. Right now its difficult to see anything cohesive offensively because the guys haven't played with each other a lot.  But you see moments.  As stated above, he should get next year with his group of players recruited with no issues, conference and division transfer. If you see serious team improvement and better results, then what? lame duck years are tough. If UND isnt in the top 3 spots and not making a championship run, then I think he has to go.

Talking to ball players and other coaches, drawing from their input, and what I know. I think he is decent.  I dont think he is a very good coach, but I think he should get next year.

Not cohesive offensively because the guys haven't played with each other a lot? - the same offense as last year after the guys played  together for 4 freaking years.  They play a playground offense when it counts.  

If people think Jones doesn't necessarily deserved to be fired, fine. But don't tell me that you don't think there are better options out there that would do significantly better with the talent here. I don't want to hear the whole "he doesn't get paid enough". It's not as if paying him more will make him a better coach. I guarantee we can find a better head coach than Jones by giving them the same salary he has. Now if we do fire him I would guess we up the pay a bit but I'm just saying. Anybody who has any sort of basketball knowledge or common sense in general can see that this team and last years team could be so much better if they were just well coached!

• Upvote 1

If people think Jones doesn't necessarily deserved to be fired, fine. But don't tell me that you don't think there are better options out there that would do significantly better with the talent here. I don't want to hear the whole "he doesn't get paid enough". It's not as if paying him more will make him a better coach. I guarantee we can find a better head coach than Jones by giving them the same salary he has. Now if we do fire him I would guess we up the pay a bit but I'm just saying. Anybody who has any sort of basketball knowledge or common sense in general can see that this team and last years team could be so much better if they were just well coached!

^^^^ this!

The hiring of Jones among the candidates was a head scratcher...and we are currently seeing the results of that.

I'm Darrell of 9 years ago...http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/5739-should-rich-glas-resign-or-be-fired/

And if you wanna scroll through memory lane to learn from the mistakes (such as the controversy surrounding UND's preference of Division I or II coaching experience plus a master's degree.)...http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/5512-potential-head-mens-basketball-coaches/

Click the link above to see what the first person to mention Jones in that thread said (page 7):

Certainly appears the hiring of Jones was questionable at the beginning. I just think a MBB coach should have some head coaching success before being hired as a DI coach. Jones apparently had negative reviews before even being hired. It's his time to go. A decade of Brian Jones would be too much for any ambitious DI basketball program.

• Upvote 2

Certainly appears the hiring of Jones was questionable at the beginning. I just think a MBB coach should have some head coaching success before being hired as a DI coach. Jones apparently had negative reviews before even being hired. It's his time to go. A decade of Brian Jones would be too much for any ambitious DI basketball program.

AND in your eloquently stated earlier post, he is a "prick and an idiot".

I'll answer a question with a question.

What are the odds a new coach does better than Jones?

Unless you pay good money to somehow bring in a proven coach which is very unlikely....you get an unproven coach that all you can do is hope pans out....just like hiring Jones.

Nobody knew who Jones was and I don't think he was on anyone's top list of finalists (except the AD I guess).

UND could easily get a coach worse than Jones.

You're asking people to predict the future.

There's so much flaw in this post (IMO), I'm not sure where to begin. 

I could not disagree more with this theory/philosophy/thought process/logic/justification/attitude....

I guess I'll just respectfully leave it at that. 

• Upvote 1

Too bad I didn't get to post on that thread as I didn't join until a year later. Maybe Glas can come back. At least he took UND up to the Elite Eight where Jones did nothing in DII and has done very little in DI.