SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Yep, he could say he is leaving UND at the end of the season. A lot of us fans would be happy to hear that.

You do realize if Jones is fired then every player that is coming into the program next year plus anyone still on the team can exit the program and play for another school without sitting out a year.   I would think Jones deserves at least another year with what he has now and what is coming in next year.  It truly could be a very good team with loads of talent and athleticism.  Fire him now and you could lose most of it and start all over again with years like this year.   

You do realize if Jones is fired then every player that is coming into the program next year plus anyone still on the team can exit the program and play for another school without sitting out a year.   I would think Jones deserves at least another year with what he has now and what is coming in next year.  It truly could be a very good team with loads of talent and athleticism.  Fire him now and you could lose most of it and start all over again with years like this year.   

Not entirely true on the first part, waivers are usually only granted in extenuating circumstances, don't think they would be in this case.  That being said, I would not be surprised to see transfers.

Not entirely true on the first part, waivers are usually only granted in extenuating circumstances, don't think they would be in this case.  That being said, I would not be surprised to see transfers.

You are correct. Even if the school does release the student, generally speaking that student must still sit out a year if he/she transfers to another division I school. A coach being fired (or leaving for another job) is  typically not an exception to the rule. I believe the exception would be in the case of a major NCAA investigation/violation, such as what occurred with the Penn St. football program a few years back.

Have fun? Losing game after game after game is not fun. Not for the players, the fans or his boss.  And just how many game have been decided by 1 or 2 possessions?   2 possessions equals 6 points, UND has lost 4 games by 6 or less and 6 games by 7 or less, or else they have lost 12 games by 8 or more points with most of those losses by double digits.  I would have thought a coach who has coached 9 seasons would have grown up by now. 

Also, is your reading context that bad?  He's saying that the players aren't giving up on the season even though they are basically playing for nothing.  I guess you'd prefer for them to give up and pack it in for the rest of the year?  I'd think a poster who has over 12,000 posts would have better comprehension.

Also, is your reading context that bad?  He's saying that the players aren't giving up on the season even though they are basically playing for nothing.  I guess you'd prefer for them to give up and pack it in for the rest of the year?  I'd think a poster who has over 12,000 posts would have better comprehension.

The answers to your questions are painfully obvious. 

My reading is just fine.  " Our guys aren’t ready to cash in. We just want to go out, have fun and get better.” 

Yes it shows the players aren't ready to call it quits just like Muss's players weren't ready after getting thumped game after game, but to say we are going to go out and have fun and get better. #1 you aren't having fun with your pissed off antics on the sideline, and #2 you aren't getting better getting beat by the lower teams in the conference. I am convinced the J in your name stands for Jones.

• Upvote 1

My reading is just fine.  " Our guys aren’t ready to cash in. We just want to go out, have fun and get better.” 

Yes it shows the players aren't ready to call it quits just like Muss's players weren't ready after getting thumped game after game, but to say we are going to go out and have fun and get better. #1 you aren't having fun with your pissed off antics on the sideline, and #2 you aren't getting better getting beat by the lower teams in the conference. I am convinced the J in your name stands for Jones.

Score one point for those who had a Mussman reference.

Edit - I missed the reference to being Jones, Mrs. Jones or any other relative of Jones.  Point there as well.

• Upvote 1

Edit - I missed the reference to being Jones, Mrs. Jones or any other relative of Jones.  Point there as well.

We once had a fantasy league where you earned points for getting posted quoted on Bison-swille - perhaps we can start a new league based on earning points in this thread. 

Laying odds on the next coach (after Jones) Darell will spend all his time on siouxsports pushing for UND to fire:

Jeff Dodson (baseball) - 4:1

Bubba Schweigert - 7:1

Paul Rudolph - 2:1

Travis Brewster - 6:1

Nate Baukol - 3:1

Matt Kellogg (soccer) - 5:1

Jordan Stevens (softball) - 6:1

Mark Pryor - 5:1

Dave Hakstol - 13:1

Brian Idalski - 12:1

(I'm not happy with Jones either, but I try to spend time on threads committed to items other than firing coaches)

• Upvote 1

You are correct. Even if the school does release the student, generally speaking that student must still sit out a year if he/she transfers to another division I school. A coach being fired (or leaving for another job) is  typically not an exception to the rule. I believe the exception would be in the case of a major NCAA investigation/violation, such as what occurred with the Penn St. football program a few years back.

I thought that if a player commits to a school and the coach leaves for another coaching job, that commit can follow the coach there (if he wants them and there is a spot open of course) and the player does not have to sit out a year.  If a coach is fired and the player has already signed his letter of intent, if they wanted to play somewhere else they would have to sit out a year.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that is how it works.

Actual physical banners? Probably Jones but more due to a difference in the sports. Jones had 2 Great West tournament championships and the 3 CIT tournaments, can't remember for sure but I know that the postseason tournaments are recognized, not sure about the tournament championships. Mussman had the one Great West title.

So it's 1-0 in favor of Mussman? CIT doesn't count for !@#$. Neither does Great West tourny since there isn't one for football.

So it's 1-0 in favor of Mussman? CIT doesn't count for !@#$. Neither does Great West tourny since there isn't one for football.

Did you miss the part where I said that there is a difference in the sports?  You make it sound like I was defending them or something.  You asked who hung more banners, I said probably Jones if you are talking literally.  Neither one has anything to write home about.

Fact is, winning the regular season in the conference in basketball is less important than winning the conference tournament.

You are making the mistake of exchanging in conversation with someone who has no comprehension of what he is watching. :sad:

My father used to have a secretary who was at his company longer than he was and people would say it must be great to have someone working for you with 35 years experience and he would say well, that is one way to look at it, but another way would be she has 1 year of experience 35 times.......this is kind of how I view this situation.

You are obviously quite supportive of Jones and, although I disagree, I respect your opinion.  I am curious - do you think he is a good coach or do you simply think he deserves more time to prove that he is (or isn't) a good coach? 

I asked this question a week ago but don't think any of the pro-Jones folks have provided a response.  I will ask it again.

I asked this question a week ago but don't think any of the pro-Jones folks have provided a response. I will ask it again.

I'll answer a question with a question.

What are the odds a new coach does better than Jones?

Unless you pay good money to somehow bring in a proven coach which is very unlikely....you get an unproven coach that all you can do is hope pans out....just like hiring Jones.

Nobody knew who Jones was and I don't think he was on anyone's top list of finalists (except the AD I guess).

UND could easily get a coach worse than Jones.

You're asking people to predict the future.

• Upvote 1