SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UNO - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

12 hours ago, GDPritch said:

To be honest, under Hakstol's era with his track record, I never ever had the expectation this type of season would happen as it never did happen over many years.  We were at least always in the battle for #1 even if we didn't have the talent. 

12 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I don't buy the "we lost too much talent" excuse. We've lost many players before and we rebounded by the end of the year. And that's they let difference, in those years. Hak got the players to click and we would dominate the second half. 

The problems we've had this year are coaching related. That being said, I don't think last year was a fluke. The challenges we are facing are simply new to our sophomore coach. Lets hope he learns from them for future years.

I'm the meantime, let's focus on the now and sweep Miami next week.

Here we go with the "Hak would have had us in first place now" theory. I don't think Herb Brooks would have us in first place, this team simply does not have it.

And yes Rebel_Sioux, we did lose too much talent over the off-season. It's not an excuse. It's a fact. We lost 5 underclassmen, along with 4 seniors. Most of whom were significant contributors to our NCAA title team. Most years, we would lose one or two guys early. And some of those guys were itching to leave as soon as they could (yes Brian Lee, I am talking to you). The type of mass exodus (especially of important players) we saw last year hasn't happened in a while.

Both Hakstol and Berry are responsible for this "recruiting gap" being talked about right now. Which means this kind of year was coming regardless of whether or not Hakstol left to coach the Flyers or not. And all of us have talked about a down year for our program being inevitable at some point. Now that it has finally happened, people are panicking and coming up with all sorts of dystopian scenarios for the program going forward. I am not doing that.

It will take a couple of years to determine whether or not Berry is the long-term solution as head coach of our program. And if he isn't, well we can always hire Cary Eades! ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I also meant to add that Dean's team took a huge step forward on defense on Saturday night playing a much tighter physical game.  Not huge hits, just not giving our guys time and space and taking the body much more.  Our entire team is in love with the poke check and it really hasn't been coached out of them. Sometimes I can't believe my eyes seeing all the time and space the other team is given entering the zone with only the occasional stick waved at them as they skate on into the zone. Doesn't even look like a North Dakota team.  Where is the  team that so efficiently shut out St. Cloud two nights in a row in St.  Cloud earlier this year. Or am I dreaming or lost track of time and that was last season.

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And yes Rebel_Sioux, we did lose too much talent over the off-season. It's not an excuse. It's a fact. We lost 5 underclassmen, along with 4 seniors.  Both Hakstol and Berry are responsible for this "recruiting gap" being talked about right now. Which means this kind of year was coming regardless of whether or not Hakstol left to coach the Flyers or not. And all of us have talked about a down year for our program being inevitable at some point. Now that it has finally happened, people are panicking and coming up with all sorts of dystopian scenarios for the program going forward. I am not doing that.

Since the NCHC Frozen Faceoff might finally matter to North Dakota, are you re-thinking your non-travel plans?

6 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

where have pogo and rhett gone?  sitting an upper classman can jump start some guys sometimes...i say sit both those guys next week and see them come back for the playoffs with a chip on their shoulders.

So NOW is finally the time for some Blais and Hakstol tough love?  That ship sailed weeks ago, my friend, if not months ago.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I'm with you BSV, I b!tch and moan when we're playing like last night but why bury this team before it's officially over?

Theres no awards for being the first person off the bandwagon. God knows crazier things have happened in college hockey. 

Not to get too deep on you but it reminds me of the quote in Julius Caesar: "Cowards did many times before their death; the valiant never taste of death but once."

And I can now check off 'quoted Shakespeare on SS.com' from my things I never thought I'd do list.

I know it's not officially over, but I was there last night and it sure looked like it was over. Senior night with their backs against the wall and they looked bad. I've been waiting and hoping for a while now that the switch would turn on. Everything about what this team is missing, other then talent, is just speculation. They should be talented enough to be a top 13 team in the pairwise. I will continue to hope that somehow this team turns a corner and goes on a run, but at best I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't know, possibly. I still like the idea of staying in Grand Forks and watching both hockey and basketball March Madness and saving all that money.

Don't blame you at all. It likely won't be an issue anyways but I was curious how many fans up that way who were 86ing the idea of coming down for the tournament because of prior lackluster performances were re-thinking it this year when it's likely do-or-season's-over time.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

where have pogo and rhett gone?  sitting an upper classman can jump start some guys sometimes...i say sit both those guys next week and see them come back for the playoffs with a chip on their shoulders.

Both guys could be classified as a "disappointment" this season. Neither has made progress in any zone this season.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Both guys could be classified as a "disappointment" this season. Neither has made progress in any zone this season.

pogo has been the biggest disappointment this year...he has all the tools to be a stud but he hasn't done a damn thing this year.

17 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

pogo has been the biggest disappointment this year...he has all the tools to be a stud but he hasn't done a damn thing this year.

Yet he'll parlay this season into a pro contract for next year.

Makes sense to me.

I thought last nights game was a close one that came down to goaltending and puck luck. The two goals cam let in weren't bad but very stoppable. He had clean looks both times. Their goalie made some decent saves and the pipe in the third period made me think it just wasn't our night. This team is good, just inconsistent. As evidenced by Friday's first period compared to the second period. If they can find a way to play solid for an entire game I still have hope!

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Here we go with the "Hak would have had us in first place now" theory. I don't think Herb Brooks would have us in first place, this team simply does not have it.

And yes Rebel_Sioux, we did lose too much talent over the off-season. It's not an excuse. It's a fact. We lost 5 underclassmen, along with 4 seniors. Most of whom were significant contributors to our NCAA title team. Most years, we would lose one or two guys early. And some of those guys were itching to leave as soon as they could (yes Brian Lee, I am talking to you). The type of mass exodus (especially of important players) we saw last year hasn't happened in a while.

Both Hakstol and Berry are responsible for this "recruiting gap" being talked about right now. Which means this kind of year was coming regardless of whether or not Hakstol left to coach the Flyers or not. And all of us have talked about a down year for our program being inevitable at some point. Now that it has finally happened, people are panicking and coming up with all sorts of dystopian scenarios for the program going forward. I am not doing that.

It will take a couple of years to determine whether or not Berry is the long-term solution as head coach of our program. And if he isn't, well we can always hire Cary Eades! ;)

Hakstol took worse teams to the frozen four.  I don't buy that for one second.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, Mhockey said:

I thought last nights game was a close one that came down to goaltending and puck luck. 

You must have been standing outside on an extended smoke-break - during the 27 minutes of the game where the Fighting Hawks recorded ZERO shots on goal!  :glare:

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Yea, Duluth really worked Minny in that 3-2 whoopin' at the X in the NSCC, eh?

Who won the game?  Certainly not your almighty Gophers. 

Face it......your IDOL is gone and he's not coming back.  He can choke up at the big level now. 

LOVE that other people are calling you out this year for being the passive aggressive TROLL you are.  I've been doing it for years......and have been.......RIGHT for years. 

7 minutes ago, siouxvikes said:

LOVE that other people are calling you out this year for being the passive aggressive TROLL you are.  I've been doing it for years......and have been.......RIGHT for years. 

Who else besides your roommate beebs? 

You're just another anonymous keyboard tough guy.  Keep up the good work!

51 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Hakstol took worse teams to the frozen four.  I don't buy that for one second.  

No doubt about that. I have no doubt Berry was the right choice but I think everything came a little too easy for him even in his first year. He is still learning how to be a head coach and unfortunately this year is a big learning curve. For all the Hak haters out there, there is no doubt in my mind he would have had this team figured out a month or two ago and playing their best hockey now. For those who say Herb Brooks or any other coach couldn't win with this team or would have the same record I totally disagree. This teams failures start at the top and that ultimately means Berry. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, I Ranger said:

No doubt about that. I have no doubt Berry was the right choice but I think everything came a little too easy for him even in his first year. He is still learning how to be a head coach and unfortunately this year is a big learning curve. For all the Hak haters out there, there is no doubt in my mind he would have had this team figured out a month or two ago and playing their best hockey now. For those who say Herb Brooks or any other coach couldn't win with this team or would have the same record I totally disagree. This teams failures start at the top and that ultimately means Berry. 

I'll take the coach who has them playing their best hockey in April.  You know...like last year?  

• Upvote 1