SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UNO - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

What could have been.........kind of like this season

Yeah, there's something just not right in that locker room. It doesn't look like they're having fun. No sense of urgency (which should have kicked in a long time ago).  Seasons not over but it's looking iffy.  If they get bounced so be it.  On to next year.

15 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Seasons not over yet.  It's not looking great but it's not over.  I'm thinking we'll need to get into the NCHC tourney and win it.  Anything can happen.

8 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Seasons not over but it's looking iffy.  

So, when it's 4-0 bad guys with .6 seconds left in the 3rd period of game 2 of the first round of the conference tournament and the team already down 0-1 in the series...will it FINALLY be time to play with their "backs against the wall?"

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, sprig said:

Still hoping my quarter-final playoff tickets are good,

Not seeing, however, how winning twice at Miami is possible or how st. Cloud would lose a game against CC.

Fortunately I didn't buy the expensive seats at the Target Center. Will get cheap seats if necessary

Not sure what it does with the pairwise, but if both Sioux and SCSU split this next weekend the Sioux have home ice. Which I think is a very good possibility. I wouldn't be surprised if Uno takes one in DU. Gonna be big weekend, can't wait to watch!

Based on what I've seen all season here is what I got moving forward: a split at best in Miami. Zero chance of a sweep. Go on the road first round and lose in 3 games. I then go to Scheels Arena and watch some NCHC team advance to the F4.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Not sure what it does with the pairwise, but if both Sioux and SCSU split this next weekend the Sioux have home ice. Which I think is a very good possibility. I wouldn't be surprised if Uno takes one in DU. Gonna be big weekend, can't wait to watch!

A Hakstol-led team loses a mid-season exhibition game a few years ago to a Canadian college and this place lost its collective mind...this year's team is being given last rights by the nursing home chaplain but some folks are still hopeful that our 104 year old grandma is gonna make a speedy recovery from pneumonia! 

Unicorns and sprinkles for everyone!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

CC @ SCSU

UND @ Miami

DU @ UNO

A split in all 3 series gets UND home ice. Problem is UND is the only road team of the 3.

My guess is SCSU will be the 4 seed, UND the 5.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So, when it's 4-0 bad guys with .6 seconds left in the 3rd period of game 2 of the first round of the conference tournament and the team already down 0-1 in the series...will it FINALLY be time to play with their "backs against the wall?"

I never said they shouldn't check their effort levels.  I'm saying the seasons not over.  Posting the same posts over and over won't change anything. They are either going to figure it out here soon or they're not.  This isn't a talent problem it's an effort problem.

• Upvote 4

Just now, scpa0305 said:

I never said they shouldn't check their effort levels.  I'm saying the seasons not over.  Posting the same posts over and over won't change anything. They are either going to figure it out here soon or they're not.  This isn't a talent problem it's an effort problem.

And posting the same posts over and over about playing with their "backs against the wall" and "it's not over until it's over" won't change anything either.  

6 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

And posting the same posts over and over about playing with their "backs against the wall" and "it's not over until it's over" won't change anything either.  

I don't I'm responding to the folks posting the same sarcastic comments 10 times over.  Either way it is what it is. On to next weekend.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed.  The Sioux have not been eliminated.  They likely need to finish the season in one of two ways to make the NCAA Tournament:

1) Win the NCHC Tournament.  Given how strong Denver and Minnesota Duluth are, coupled with the inconsistent play from North Dakota, this isn't likely.  That being said, this team has the ability and talent level to make a run.  Estimated probability: 5-10%.

2) Sweep Miami, Win First Round Series, Take 1 of 2 at the Frozen Faceoff.  Miami has only won 9 games this season, but is probably a bit better than their record.  As stated above, the Sioux have been inconsistent of late, and it was disappointing to see their effort level last night.  I'm a little leery of the "backs against the wall" mentality as well, as this team should have been playing with their backs against the wall since at least the Western Michigan series, if not CC.  That being said, I think there is probably a 50/50 shot at sweeping Miami.  IF they sweep Miami, I think the team has a good chance to win a first round, best of three series at home.  Say 75/25, and I would also like their chances of taking 1 of 2 at the Frozen Four, say again 75/25.  Add that up, and I would say they have about a 30% chance of this scenario. 

Total that, and I think the Sioux have about a 35-40% chance of making the NCAA Tournament.  Not great odds, but better than the gloom and doom driven by some people here.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Heard thru the grapevine that downtown Minneapolis strip clubs are in a panic over the potential loss of revenue due to gfhockey and his crew not making the trip east in three weeks...

I don't know.  He's delivering pizza these days, so probably not a lot of coin to spend on hookers and blow. 

• Upvote 4

I really don't even know where to start. It's very clear to me that Berry and the coaching staff as well as the "leaders" on this team deserve equal blame for this season. What we all witnessed last night, on Senior night was completely unacceptable. The team looked uninspired and uninterested, I don't understand it. I'm going to stick with talent wasn't / isn't the problem with this team, but they are missing leadership, big time. Outside of Tucker, the pieces that were there last year that returned all under performed. Starting in goal, moving to defense (Ausmus) and moving to the forward group (Boeser, Poganski, Gardner). Minnesota is a good example this year, I'm not convinced they are  a more talented group, but they play as a team and that is on Berry. 

As far as the rest of the year, are they statistically out of it, no, but there's nothing I've seen that gets my hopes up that they can win two in a row, much less make a run. I want to be proven wrong, but if they don't, at least this nightmare of a season will soon be over. 

Side note: I wouldn't put this in the same category as the WMU Saturday night game, or the CC Saturday night game, but instead with the SCSU Friday night game and so many others. Even when they didn't play well, it wasn't like UNO was head and shoulders better. Bounces, puck luck, whatever you call it, this team had none this year. Also, 9 times out of 10 the opposing teams goalie either played better or on par with UNDs. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

A Hakstol-led team loses a mid-season exhibition game a few years ago to a Canadian college and this place lost its collective mind...this year's team is being given last rights by the nursing home chaplain but some folks are still hopeful that our 104 year old grandma is gonna make a speedy recovery from pneumonia! 

Unicorns and sprinkles for everyone!

Wait...What?! I never fell apart after that Hakstol lead loss, I'm not sure you understand that I'm one of the few that won't wrap a rope around my neck when this team doesn't have a perfect season! I'm saying there is still a chance for things to work out and no matter how negative you want to be, my point is still true! 

Doom and gloom for everyone!

15 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Where were all these optimists last season after the NCHC tournament ended?  Very few of them were predicting a march to the national title.  Now, at two games over .500 headed into the last weekend of the regular season, I'm supposed to turn my frown upside down?  This team - and this coaching staff - have shown no ability to grab the bull by the horns and take advantage of opportunities in front of them.  

After going 27 out of 60 minutes last night without a single shot on goal, dare I suggest that this team has REGRESSED since the start of the season?  

But go ahead, call me a pessimist...

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You made your cute little comment BEFORE the game even started. That is trolling. Now, of course, it is easy for you to come on here after the fact and dance in the endzone because you were right. 20/20 Hindsight is pretty good, isn't it? :glare:

You pretended like my comment was absurd based on the outcome of Fridays game. They were up 3-0 and then gave up 3 goals in a row. Maybe you should watch the game instead of just looking at the final score. They won, yes but played like garbage for a large stretch of the game when they need wins at the point in the season.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Where were all these optimists last season after the NCHC tournament ended?  Very few of them were predicting a march to the national title.  Now, at two games over .500 headed into the last weekend of the regular season, I'm supposed to turn my frown upside down?  This team - and this coaching staff - have shown no ability to grab the bull by the horns and take advantage of opportunities in front of them.  

After going 27 out of 60 minutes last night without a single shot on goal, dare I suggest that this team has REGRESSED since the start of the season?  

I don't want to be doom and gloom but purely looking at what's on the ice every weekend, it would appear as though this team has regressed and has not been able to turn anything around. Call it lack of leadership, players not taking the next step, coaches not able to motivate or make the proper adjustments. It appears to be "All of the above" type of scenario. It is just not a good team this year. I hope that changes next year and for years to come. Every team has a bad year now and again. It's just something we aren't accustomed to having so it is hard to accept. 

41 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I get what you're saying, just can't figure out why you think I'm one of "them"? I didn't give up hope after last season's NCHC FF. I did enjoy Tampa!

I haven't given up hope for this season either...It's not over till it's over for me.

Assuming that some of us may be correct and that we have some pretty weak young players on the team who are not progressing, how are these guys who presumably have scholarships gracefully put out of the program to make room for new recruits with better potential and more proven ability?  How does this work in college hockey?  Its not like football where you have a hundred guys to shuffle around.

I heard the announcers say last night that Dean sat a couple of veteran defenseman for their lackadaisical play on Friday night.  Of course he also switched up goalies.  I think UND needs to start relying on more than one goalie at a time.  Seems like we have been primarily a one-goalie team for a long time.  Cam has had some weak games and we have had to stick with him.  I know Bubba has a short roster right now with injuries, but some pine time usually motivates hockey players.

3 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

I get what you're saying, just can't figure out why you think I'm one of "them"? I didn't give up hope after last season's NCHC FF. I did enjoy Tampa!

I haven't given up hope for this season either...It's not over till it's over for me.

@bigskyvikes I'm not singling you out - you have always been a glass-is-half-full fan.   

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

Wait...What?! I never fell apart after that Hakstol lead loss, I'm not sure you understand that I'm one of the few that won't wrap a rope around my neck when this team doesn't have a perfect season! I'm saying there is still a chance for things to work out and no matter how negative you want to be, my point is still true! 

I'm with you BSV, I b!tch and moan when we're playing like last night but why bury this team before it's officially over?

Theres no awards for being the first person off the bandwagon. God knows crazier things have happened in college hockey. 

Not to get too deep on you but it reminds me of the quote in Julius Caesar: "Cowards did many times before their death; the valiant never taste of death but once."

And I can now check off 'quoted Shakespeare on SS.com' from my things I never thought I'd do list.

• Upvote 1