SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UNO - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

You must have been standing outside on an extended smoke-break - during the 27 minutes of the game where the Fighting Hawks recorded ZERO shots on goal!  :glare:

It was a close game. Shots at the end were about equal. Quality of shots were about equal imo. Yeah they outplayed UND for a portion of the game but in the end shot totals were similar

2 hours ago, TNF said:

It might be more beneficial to compare this years' UND team to the other teams that lost comparable players early rather than to past UND teams under Hak. BC lost 7 and are currently 20th in the pairwise. Michigan lost the same number (5) and are currently 40th in the pairwise. We lost 5 and are currently 16th in the pairwise. Flip a few embarrassing loses and we would still be looking at a 2 seed. It is definitely disappointing but we are doing better than schools in similar situations and we have #8 in the rafters. I'll take it and look for greener pastures ahead (while quietly hoping for a miracle yet this year). 

This would make a ton of sense if you never watched our team play - The optics on this team are awful.  People are riled up more for how they got to 16 pairwise than the fact we are at 16th pairwise.  I have not seen a Sioux team consistently mail it in like this group for over 20 years.  They were painful to watch - lack of effort, refusal to play for all 60, lack of improvement, same mistakes over and over, no leadership - you name it.  I would feel much much differently if this were a scrappy team of young guys working their butts off and who have shown improvement and given us hope for next year.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Cratter said:

There's no such thing as puck luck. You hit the post. Your aim is off.

There's luck involved for sure. Friday night when simonson threw the puck on net and it went in do you think he had seen an opening there? No, he just threw it on net and it went in. I call that lucky 

6 minutes ago, Mhockey said:

There's luck involved for sure. Friday night when simonson threw the puck on net and it went in do you think he had seen an opening there? No, he just threw it on net and it went in. I call that lucky 

Not lucky at all. He was in position to shoot the puck...perfectly timed before he crossed the goal line. Passing, hustle, and accuracy created the situation and goal. Teams practice that shot all the time.

Is hockey the only sport that has "luck" or does poker count as a sport?

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Wait a minute!

I thought it was all about the players and the only thing the head coach was responsible for was putting together a line-up card and then sitting back to see what happens? At least that is what the "In Hak We Trust" crowd has been saying for years. :silly:

I do think Berry has to take a second look at a lot of things this offseason, and I think he will, but to say Hakstol would have us fighting for the Penrose again is pure wishful thinking.

And if Berry ends up not being able to do this job in the long-run, we'll find somebody else. The program is bigger than any one coach or player.

In any event, we will never know how Hakstol would have handled this team.

You're hilarious, all I have ask is....How does it feel to be on the opposite side of the table to yourself now compared to the last many years prior to 2015? 

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Not lucky at all. He was in position to shoot the puck...perfectly timed before he crossed the goal line. Passing, hustle, and accuracy created the situation and goal. Teams practice that shot all the time.

Is hockey the only sport that has "luck" or does poker count as a sport?

Strip poker........yes.

My impression last night was this team went out and got drunk after the Friday night win.  They could not do the most basic things, like skate.  Guys were falling down all over the place for no reason.  UNO was not falling down so it couldn't have been the ice.  Did someone screw up on skate sharpening?  Possible.  They couldn't make a decent pass, they couldn't catch a decent pass, etc.  That is what makes me think hungover syndrome.  And that falls on team leadership.  What else could explain the drastic change in play from one night to the next?

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

You're hilarious, all I have ask is....How does it feel to be on the opposite side of the table to yourself now compared to the last many years prior to 2015? 

It is what it is. Unlike some people on here, I am not predicting inevitable doom for the program based on one bad season.

6 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

My impression last night was this team went out and got drunk after the Friday night win.  They could not do the most basic things, like skate.  Guys were falling down all over the place for no reason.  UNO was not falling down so it couldn't have been the ice.  Did someone screw up on skate sharpening?  Possible.  They couldn't make a decent pass, they couldn't catch a decent pass, etc.  That is what makes me think hungover syndrome.  And that falls on team leadership.  What else could explain the drastic change in play from one night to the next?

Did Boeser turn 21 yesterday?

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It is what it is. Unlike some people on here, I am not predicting inevitable doom for the program based on one bad season.

If certain guys turn pro after this season next year UND will be this year's CC.

• Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Pre-2016:  We're North Dakota, not Michigan Tech!  We EXPECT to compete for national championships every year!

Post-2016:  Meh.  We're good until 2020.  

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Pathetic effort all the way around tonight. This team knew going into this weekend their season was really kind of on the line these last 4 games and they show zero sign of any urgency or desperation. Way too many times this year it hasn't been a lack of talent and skill it has been a lack of focus, energy, toughness, and just determination and those are things you just don't really teach. Show a little determination and desperation and win 4 games in a row and see where we are at. A lot of guys on this team need to start playing for the program and play with the type of effort and determination that those who have come before them have played with. No excuses find a way. 

As a Minnesota fan this comment is almost exactly how I've felt more often than not the last 8 or so years.

19 hours ago, beebsb010 said:

Still not getting it, so I will just assume you indeed ARE drinking. 

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT NORTH DAKOTA. 

YOU brought up how the Gophers are so good and may win it all this year.  I SAID they are in a joke of a conference, their record doesn't impress me because of that and UMD or Denver would destroy them.  So....AGAIN......I'm not sure how any of the teams in their conference being ahead of UND has to do with anything.

Just curious, would you bet on Denver to beat Ohio State at home? Because you would be 0-1 on that this year. If OSU can beat Denver on the road I would bet that Minnesota can beat both Denver and Duluth. Would they be underdogs? Absolutely they would be, but I think it's unlikely that they'd get crushed. The B1G is the 2nd best conference in college hockey this season with only 6 teams, so no, it isn't that bad. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

If certain guys turn pro after this season next year UND will be this year's CC.

Hahaha. We have a young team I'm hoping the guys continue to develop.  Rarely do guys "stay the same" from year to year.

Yes, I realize most of our boys (other than Gersich) flatlined this season however I would expect a bounce back year.  Other than Ausmus, I would assume T. Poolman, Boeser, and Pogo leave.  Jost probably leaves too but I'm really hoping he doesn't. There could always be a wildcard departure too.