SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UNO - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, ringneck28 said:

You guys realize, if we get swept next weekend, we could be playing Duluth or Denver? 

That's the least of our worries. With the collapse of the WCHA, we need to be in the the Top 14 to get in on pairwise alone. Assuming there is at least one upset, we need to realistically be 13 or higher. Losing even 1 game next week would significantly hurt our odds. Getting swept would likely mean that would need to win the whole tournament to get in. 

Talent can be up and down - here we expect mostly up

But how many times have you seen a Sioux team just mail it in like this group. Maybe once or twice in the last 3 decades - Coaches have some serious work and recruiting to do

it's one thing to have your young but scrappy team get beat because of youth - this year's performance is quite something else

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You seem to forget that Berry was also involved in the recruitment of last year's team and this year's team. So there obviously is a gap in recruiting that is showing up now. That is on both Berry and Hakstol. From here on out, it is on Berry to fix whatever is broken with our recruiting. I think he will do that.

When I mentioned that I was severely criticized - but it is true we have a serious talent gap - We are skating Wilkie who is having a Blutarski  season 0.000

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, OETKB said:

You guys sucked tonight.  2nd period - what the HELL?  I've been watching UND hockey for more decades than I care to admit - I've never HEARD of a 1 shot period.  Are you FRICKEN kidding me?  SHAME ON YOU tonight.

How in the hell do you have a 1 SOG period with a ton of NHL draft picks against not very good defensive team?  Beats me.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

How many past teams kept saying throughout the season. We have unfinished business. And they were driven by outside forces. I'll enjoy this problem for the first time in 16 years.

Please refresh my memory, Cratter...weren't you one of the doomsday preppers after UND's performance in last year's NCHC tournament?  Now you're Captain Optimism?

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't think Hak or Blais or anyone else could get much more out of this team. They have been lacking that extra special something all season long. Too many players lost last offseason. We all knew this was going to happen at some point. We'll be back.

To be honest, under Hakstol's era with his track record, I never ever had the expectation this type of season would happen as it never did happen over many years.  We were at least always in the battle for #1 even if we didn't have the talent. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Please refresh my memory, Cratter...weren't you one of the doomsday preppers after UND's performance in last year's NCHC tournament?  Now you're Captain Optimism?

We went through this....I was buying tickets to Tampa Bay before the team was.

Not sure why you enjoy the personal stuff so much. :whistling:

• Upvote 1

I don't buy the "we lost too much talent" excuse. We've lost many players before and we rebounded by the end of the year. And that's they let difference, in those years. Hak got the players to click and we would dominate the second half. 

The problems we've had this year are coaching related. That being said, I don't think last year was a fluke. The challenges we are facing are simply new to our sophomore coach. Lets hope he learns from them for future years.

I'm the meantime, let's focus on the now and sweep Miami next week.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

unbelievable this team...least talented, least hardworking team in memory.

4 minutes ago, cberkas said:

The talent is there, they just expect the NCAA's to be given to them.

Easy, boys.  If this team plays like it did on Saturday against WMU, they could win a mythical national title!  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Easy, boys.  If this team plays like it did on Saturday against WMU, they could win a mythical national title!  

You mean that one Minnesota raises every year after a week into the season and the one Penn State raised after being #1?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

That's the least of our worries. With the collapse of the WCHA, we need to be in the the Top 14 to get in on pairwise alone. Assuming there is at least one upset, we need to realistically be 13 or higher. Losing even 1 game next week would significantly hurt our odds. Getting swept would likely mean that would need to win the whole tournament to get in. 

UND needs to either win 4 of 6 or 5 of 7 to get in. Can it be done? Sure. Will it happen? I don't see any indications that we are going to go on that kind of "run". It is what it is at this point.

Incredibly disappointed with the effort and execution tonight.

• Upvote 1