SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UNO - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

Who still thinks this team can do anything after tonight?  Seriously? 

This was a make or break night, and UND stunk.  Goaltending stunk (Yes, I heard the Bronx cheer for Cam in the 3rd), offense was non-existant (and 1st round draft picks were basically invisible tonight).  Nothing good.  Zero.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Go back to GPL you Hakstol loving Gopher fan.  What's that chump even doing now anyways? ;)

A .500 season staring this team right in the face next weekend.  Title or no title last season, if Hak was the coach, he'd be skewered over the team's performance this year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Would Hak era teams been as consistently good as they were each year if there were one or two national championships won?

I was just thinking that. Often times, when you win a national championship, players leave early because they figure they have nothing left to prove at this level. That is playing itself out this season.

• Upvote 1

Here's my perspective. There were/are a lot of younger players on this team that may have experience, but they don't have that gut wrenching losing in the Frozen Four two years in a row, one to our most hated rival in the most heartbreaking way experience that last year's juniors and seniors did. They are all still on a high from last season, and likely not making the tournament this season may serve the next couple teams well. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, OETKB said:

Who still thinks this team can do anything after tonight?  Seriously? 

This was a make or break night, and UND stunk.  Goaltending stunk (Yes, I heard the Bronx cheer for Cam in the 3rd), offense was non-existant (and 1st round draft picks were basically invisible tonight).  Nothing good.  Zero.

Maybe someone should start the 2017-18 discussion thread tonight? :(

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I miss Hak.

Ahhh, I suppose the jabs people seem to be throwing this year about Hak/Berry,National Title finally versus consistent success, but playoff gut wrenching losses was bound to happen.  But man...it's getting sickening on here.

I for one am ok with the down season after FINALLY winning it all last year.  I'd much rather have the last 12 months of hockey than what we were having every year previous.  I guess I don't understand the thought pattern behind those who would rather see us have great regular seasons only to blow it all when it matters instead of having a title one year and than a year like this one. 

I'm not saying it's over this year by any means, but I tell you what...having a down year after winning IT ALL is certainly preferable to me over having 2 GREAT regular seasons with long playoff runs, but nothing to show for it at the end of April.  To each their own though. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, someone is going down or up.  We have Poolman that will be gone next year.  We have Ausmus and Hrynkiw who will be gone next year.  One, both or none of Boesser and Jost will be gone.  Plus that one surprise that we always have.  I don't foresee a lot of change otherwise.  We all said that them losing Schmaltz last year was a surprise and I don't think that Berry had a late guy who he could pull in.  I don't think that coaches are the problem, it is youth and living on the success of last night/year that is killing this team.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, burd said:

Oh no you don't.   We want some red meat.  Like a coach who can't loosen up and gets his players too tight to win when they have to.  A team that can't play a full 60 minutes is always an option but not very satisfying.  How about a coach that is too laid back and can't get his players to play with enough intensity to win when they have to?   Or players who might have cared about winning last year but don't this year?   Gotta be something, cause someone's going down. 

I am saying the pieces were not in place to begin with. We haven't lost that many players (9) in one off-season in a long time. The complaints about Hakstol were rooted in having talent up and down the line-up and then choking in the clutch when it mattered most (Frozen Four). This program is not going down the toilet like some people think. We will be back.

3 minutes ago, beebsb010 said:

Ahhh, I suppose the jabs people seem to be throwing this year about Hak/Berry,National Title finally versus consistent success, but playoff gut wrenching losses was bound to happen.  But man...it's getting sickening on here.

I for one am ok with the down season after FINALLY winning it all last year.  I'd much rather have the last 12 months of hockey than what we were having every year previous.  I guess I don't understand the thought pattern behind those who would rather see us have great regular seasons only to blow it all when it matters instead of having a title one year and than a year like this one. 

I'm not saying it's over this year by any means, but I tell you what...having a down year after winning IT ALL is certainly preferable to me over having 2 GREAT regular seasons with long playoff runs, but nothing to show for it at the end of April.  To each their own though. 

The biggest falasy in this horrendous thought process. Is that ......

Deep playoff runs DO NOT MEAN losing the big one.....a deep run is the ONLY way to possibly win a title.

Being "ok" with a season of pathetic performance does not mean a title did or did not happen....it means a title CAN NOT happen.....good lord.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I am saying the pieces were not in place to begin with. We haven't lost that many players (9) in one off-season in a long time. The complaints about Hakstol were rooted in having talent up and down the line-up and then choking in the clutch when it mattered most (Frozen Four). This program is not going down the toilet like some people think. We will be back.

I know.  I was having fun, fs4l.   I know we aren't supposed to have fun after a night like tonight, but what the hill. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The biggest falasy in this horrendous thought process. Is that ......

Deep playoff runs DO NOT MEAN losing the big one.....a deep run is the ONLY way to possibly win a title.

The deep playoff runs were only one or two game winning streaks (except 2005 and 2016).

• Upvote 1