SiouxSports.com Forum

Defensive 2 Deep Guesses

geaux_sioux

8 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i don't think there is any way that palmborg sees more playing time than jake...no chance....jake is gonna have a monster year...same for dranka, deion, greely, cole, tank...ill stop now

They are going to be playing two different positions, right?  

6 hours ago, UND-1 said:

They are going to be playing two different positions, right?  

who knows..maybe they leave jake outside instead of inside...with obrien not there i think a few versatile (jake) guys could go either way leading up to utah.

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

I'm probably in the minority but anything to do with marijuana doesn't bother me.

I am generally with you but the intent to distribute part bothers me. This usually indicates a large amount and that it not good for multiple reasons. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/8/2017 at 4:55 PM, Midwestern Hawk said:

Defensive 2-deep at start of fall camp without Poole on roster:

DE Dranka Cieslak

NT Harris Greer

DE Greely Bennett

OLB Lawrence Turner

ILB Rodgers Rastas

ILB Disterhaupt Geier

OLB Palmborg Haas 

CB Hunt Carter

SS Reyes Canaday

FS Stewart Randolph

CB Harris Holm

Combined with O'brien retirement, 2 of the top 8 linebackers going into 2017 now gone.

50 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I am generally with you but the intent to distribute part bothers me. This usually indicates a large amount and that it not good for multiple reasons. 

How about the fact he was more than likely supplying or trying to supply other team members.  This situation could be really, really bad.  Based on his twitter banner, IMO marijuana has overtaken UND football in importance to Poole.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I'm probably in the minority but anything to do with marijuana doesn't bother me.

I agree with you, however until and if the law changes in North Dakota, people who possess it are going to be charged with crimes. Even if I don't agree with the law, I think there needs to be a hard and fast rule for student athletes, that criminal activity gets you suspended, at a minimum. 

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

How about the fact he was more than likely supplying or trying to supply other team members.  This situation could be really, really bad.  Based on his twitter banner, IMO marijuana has overtaken UND football in importance to Poole.

I don't think having someone on the team makes it any more or less available to those who want to do it.  

Example needs to be set.  This is the quickest way to derail success on the field.  

5 minutes ago, homer said:

I don't think having someone on the team makes it any more or less available to those who want to do it.  

Example needs to be set.  This is the quickest way to derail success on the field.  

Agree.  If this happened to multiple players leading up to a National Championship game, you can guarantee they would be lambasted, as well they should.  If you are part of a team and can't stay away from this, then that's a problem.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

precisely why I said "not good for multiple reasons.'

7 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

You may be right, but I don't think it is either wise nor fair to describe your opinion as a "fact".  I don't believe anyone knows what the facts are nor what the kids priorities are.  Big red flag for this kid and if guilty he needs to be held accountable.  These kids also need to consider who the team leaders are. They need to create a team culture where breaking the law or using illegal drugs is unacceptable. These athletes need to understand that what they do or don't do on and off the field and in the classroom are a reflection on their families, coaches, teammates and the University.  

14 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

You may be right, but I don't think it is either wise nor fair to describe your opinion as a "fact".  I don't believe anyone knows what the facts are nor what the kids priorities are.  Big red flag for this kid and if guilty he needs to be held accountable.  These kids also need to consider who the team leaders are. They need to create a team culture where breaking the law or using illegal drugs is unacceptable. These athletes need to understand that what they do or don't do on and off the field and in the classroom are a reflection on their families, coaches, teammates and the University.  

That's the key item for me, culture.

Legalize it, don't legalize it, harmful, not harmful, I don't care about the debate.

My problem with pot- Guys plan their lives around it, sacrificing time, nutrition, resources, and hang out with their pot crew and seclude themselves.  That's a really crappy foundation to build a championship culture.

• Upvote 3

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:53 PM, geaux_sioux said:

That is beyond irrelevant until it's full blown legal here.

Actually the precursor to most states legalizing it was the legalization of medical marijuana first.

51 minutes ago, shep said:

Actually the precursor to most states legalizing it was the legalization of medical marijuana first.

Not to get too political but that is the plan.  Get a state to legalize medical marijuana, get more of it grown 'legally'  get the folks used to it, get more of it around for young people and then eventually get it legalized.  Right now I will guarantee you in Grand Forks it is far easier for a high school or under-aged college kid to get some weed than beer.  My wife is a social worker and it is getting to be an epidemic in the high schools in this county.   Right now it is estimated in this county that 10% of the high school seniors 'wake and bake' and/or get high every day.  It crosses all social and economic barriers.

My.02

Doesn't matter what anybody thinks about if this should or should not be legal. Doesn't matter if it seems innocent or not.The only thing that matters in this scenario is that at THIS time it IS illegal. So don't do it, unless you want to deal with the repercussions. As laws change, people/students/players can adapt to them; but as a citizen you don't get to decide a law is dumb so you won't follow it (unless you don't mind facing the punishment.

How many times has someone been driving where the speed limit is 30mph, but it should probably be 40mph? Well, you can drive 40, but you might get ticketed, and your argument of "Well, it should be legal to drive 40 here" won't really hold up. I'm fairly indifferent on these particular laws, but I do take the stance of follow the law, whatever it is. If you don't, I don't really feel too bad for you when you get caught.

My bigger concern is, if Poole had this going on, who else was involved. I'd be pretty surprised if he was the only one, but hopefully we don't see any more of this.

• Upvote 1

On 5/13/2017 at 7:53 PM, geaux_sioux said:

This raised a question in my mind that may be totally unfounded ,given we have only one example, but is there extra risk with Colorado recruits given that state and its laws on weed? 

As a redshirt freshman, he probably isn't 21 so it's still illegal for him to have pot in Colorado.  

52 minutes ago, southpaw said:

As a redshirt freshman, he probably isn't 21 so it's still illegal for him to have pot in Colorado.  

Yea but weed is becoming similar to alcohol in that it is a casual thing now. Did you wait til 21 to have your first drink?

48 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Yea but weed is becoming similar to alcohol in that it is a casual thing now. Did you wait til 21 to have your first drink?

I understand, but weed is illegal to posses in ND without a prescription no matter what your age and the big charge in all this is intent to deliver.

14 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

That's the key item for me, culture.

Legalize it, don't legalize it, harmful, not harmful, I don't care about the debate.

My problem with pot- Guys plan their lives around it, sacrificing time, nutrition, resources, and hang out with their pot crew and seclude themselves.  That's a really crappy foundation to build a championship culture.

If it were legal, I don't think you'd see people secluding themselves or hanging out with their "pot crew" only. I suspect that even though recreational use remains illegal in ND and most other states, using marijuana is not as socially isolating as you are making it out to be. Remember when we were 14, and the kids who drank or smoked cigarettes were on the fringes, judged by most of us to be making poor decisions? Those kids hung out with their "alcohol crew", devoting substantial resources to obtaining alcohol. As we got older, more and more people started drinking underage and it became something acceptable within more and more social circles. I think the same is happening with weed. Not because as teens get older it becomes more acceptable, but just because it has become more acceptable in general. 

I think we need to be concerned about this player's arrest, particularly if my thought that marijuana use is not so socially isolating, because that may mean plenty of other players are using it and are at risk for being arrested as well. In the 2014 NCAA survey of athletes, 23.5% of football players reported using marijuana within the previous 12 months. They have data showing that D-III athletes were the most likely to have used overall, but that's not broken down by sport. http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Substance Use Final Report_FINAL.pdf

I found this article rather enlightening: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2486218-banned-but-bountiful-marijuana-coveted-by-nfl-players-as-invaluable-painkiller

Here's an excerpt:

"It's at least 60 percent now," Anderson said. "That's bare minimum. That's because players today don't believe in the stigma that older people associate with smoking it. To the younger guys in the league now, smoking weed is a normal thing, like having a beer. Plus, they know that smoking it helps them with the concussions."

That's from an interview with Jamal Anderson, formerly of the Falcons, discussing marijuana use in the NFL.

*edited because I screwed up the number of months in the NCAA usage study.