SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Western Michigan

AZSIOUX

13 hours ago, Randy Lahey said:

Think how much more Gornall brings energy wise and production wise than someone like Simonson and with less playing time all year.. You can tell the team loves a guy like Gornall too. I'd take him in the lineup over Simo ANY DAY. He's had about a fourth of the playing time as Simo all year and has more goals than him already..

Simo isn't a scorer. That's not his role. His role is to be steady up the middle, to forecheck like a banshee and play responsible in his zone. I like Gornall a lot, but Simo certainly brings an important piece, IMO. It's not ALL about scoring goals.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Simo isn't a scorer. That's not his role. His role is to be steady up the middle, to forecheck like a banshee and play responsible in his zone. I like Gornall a lot, but Simo certainly brings an important piece, IMO. It's not ALL about scoring goals.

I agree that everyone on a team has a role. Simo is a junior, he has played 28 games, registered a single goal that was a slam dunk into an open net. As a junior I feel like he should produce more even if he's not considered a goal scorer. There are other guys on the bench that can do exactly what he does. The only guy I would consider sitting before simonson is Olson. All opinion though

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Mhockey said:

I agree that everyone on a team has a role. Simo is a junior, he has played 28 games, registered a single goal that was a slam dunk into an open net. As a junior I feel like he should produce more even if he's not considered a goal scorer. There are other guys on the bench that can do exactly what he does. The only guy I would consider sitting before simonson is Olson. All opinion though

Also, there are intangible things, too. Simo is a leader on the team. Not many guys have that role. 

However, I do agree with you about us needing him to produce more.

52 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Simo has taken a few steps back this year.  We're talking about a guy who went 59 in 58 (28 goals) in the USHL.  He had 17 pts in 43 last year.  Something is going on there.  And the USHL is a MUCH tougher league than the NA.  Im all for Gornall playing and Simo sitting (as he's not producing) but it would be nice to get Simo going.  As a junior he should be hitting the stat sheet a bit harder.  I was projecting him as a guy that, at the very least, put up 20 points this year.

From what I hear, Simo is one of the best players in practice.  Scores all the time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Simo has taken a few steps back this year.  We're talking about a guy who went 59 in 58 (28 goals) in the USHL.  He had 17 pts in 43 last year.  Something is going on there.  And the USHL is a MUCH tougher league than the NA.  Im all for Gornall playing and Simo sitting (as he's not producing) but it would be nice to get Simo going.  As a junior he should be hitting the stat sheet a bit harder.  I was projecting him as a guy that, at the very least, put up 20 points this year.

From what I hear, Simo is one of the best players in practice.  Scores all the time.

Yeah that's pretty impressive that's why I expected more from him it's one thing to be good in practice but another thing to actually do it in games. But a real question is do you think Simo would even be a factor for any other college team that is as high caliber as the Sioux? If he wasn't from grand forks I bet he wouldn't he'd maybe get a shot from his USHL career but other than that he'd be in the stands watching.. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I expected him to be another Mario, 4th line role player.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

From what I hear, Murphy is one of the best players in practice.  Scores all the time.

FYP

.......................................could probably could plug Wilkie into that sentence as well.

On February 14, 2017 at 4:40 PM, UND>UM said:

I plan on making a small dent in the Zoo beer supply over the weekend.  Any places you would recommend?  We plan on hitting up the Bell's tour on Saturday and the Kalamazoo Beer Exchange for a bit too.

If you have a car and a driver willing to remain sober, I'd recommend coming on up to Grand Rapids for beer tourism. The number of quality breweries here is amazing. Or get out to the lakeshore and go to OddSide in Grand Haven and Saugatuck Brewing in Douglas. If you want more info on GR breweries, I'm happy to help.

2 hours ago, Randy Lahey said:

Yeah that's pretty impressive that's why I expected more from him it's one thing to be good in practice but another thing to actually do it in games. But a real question is do you think Simo would even be a factor for any other college team that is as high caliber as the Sioux? If he wasn't from grand forks I bet he wouldn't he'd maybe get a shot from his USHL career but other than that he'd be in the stands watching.. 

That is my thinking on him as well. He would be a fourth liner on the bottom teams in the NCAA. Sometimes it works out picking up guys that have potential and they develop into great players.  Being from grand forks definitely landed him his opportunity at UND. 

3 hours ago, Randy Lahey said:

Based in what he did in his NA and USHL career many teams would have given him offers. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, cberkas said:

I didn't think he'd be much of a goal scorer.

Prior to him arriving at Und?  I guess I would like to know why.  28 goals in 58 games in the USHL. Captain.  

Now I never really thought he'd been awesome out of the gate but I thought he'd be a solid contributor in his upperclassmen years.

2 hours ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

If you have a car and a driver willing to remain sober, I'd recommend coming on up to Grand Rapids for beer tourism. The number of quality breweries here is amazing. Or get out to the lakeshore and go to OddSide in Grand Haven and Saugatuck Brewing in Douglas. If you want more info on GR breweries, I'm happy to help.

Or walk around K'zoo.  There are a LOT of great breweries right there.

This will likely be a tough weekend.  A split would not be ideal, but wouldn't be the end of the world either.  I am a little uneasy seeing all the line changes (some pretty wholesale) this late in the season.  Players need to get used to playing with their linemates. 

On another note, I am pissed that it is on CBSSN.  I recently cut my cable and I haven't figured out how to stream CBSSN UND games.  Last time I couldn't figure it out before the game was half over, so I just listened on iHeart. GRRRR......  NCHC should NOT sell rights to CBSSN.

11 minutes ago, bcblues said:

This will likely be a tough weekend.  A split would not be ideal, but wouldn't be the end of the world either.  I am a little uneasy seeing all the line changes (some pretty wholesale) this late in the season.  Players need to get used to playing with their linemates. 

On another note, I am pissed that it is on CBSSN.  I recently cut my cable and I haven't figured out how to stream CBSSN UND games.  Last time I couldn't figure it out before the game was half over, so I just listened on iHeart. GRRRR......  NCHC should NOT sell rights to CBSSN.

I have charter and do not have the package to watch CBSSN games either. But upgrade to one package higher and I'm able to watch the games. I just call the next day to cancel the package and it totals out to be $3.30 added on to my bill at the end of the month. I don't think CBSSN streams online I've tried it before.. So about a 1/3 of a beer at the Ralph for good coverage of the game ;-) 

28 minutes ago, Randy Lahey said:

I have charter and do not have the package to watch CBSSN games either. But upgrade to one package higher and I'm able to watch the games. I just call the next day to cancel the package and it totals out to be $3.30 added on to my bill at the end of the month. I don't think CBSSN streams online I've tried it before.. So about a 1/3 of a beer at the Ralph for good coverage of the game ;-) 

They do but only for a small amount of providers. Luckily one of the accounts I poach/share is among the few that get it (Frontier).  Someone listed the select providers on here before.

On 2/14/2017 at 3:40 PM, UND>UM said:

I plan on making a small dent in the Zoo beer supply over the weekend.  Any places you would recommend?  We plan on hitting up the Bell's tour on Saturday and the Kalamazoo Beer Exchange for a bit too.

I really like the Old Dog Tavern, great vib and some live music.  They also have a great Sunday brunch.  Next door is a new bar, HopCat, but I have not been there, but have been told they have a good beer selection

I also like the Union, smaller bar, has live music, last time I was there they had a very good jazz/blues band, was really impressed