SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ CC - FRIDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

7 hours ago, SiouxCrioux1 said:

I understand that it happens. This years example of a draft pick not panning out would be Wilkie. It's just a little hard to swallow when it's a guy you've seen and know can produce at the highest level and all of the sudden he looks like he's just another guy out there at best

I thought we were talking about tomek. My mistake 

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

This needs to be said:

Who else remembers Cam Johnson's first couple of appearances during the Zano-insane-o era? 

Tomek just needs to relax and play. 

I know it'll never happen but it would be interesting to see how Tomek would've done with last seasons defence. Cam is good but that defence was unreal.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Arguably your top 2 players out in Jost and Cam plus your captain.......good comeback NCHC road win. Smith and Gornall need to play from here on out IMO. Olson has been good as of late too. Kudos to Rinks. Not sure of Tomek situation but he has looked shakey at best in a couple brief stints. This team's MVP to date is easy......Gersich. Nice to move up the Pairwise. A win tonight keeps them there. 

Completely agree about Gornall and Smith being in the lineup.  When Jost comes back those two need to stay in the lineup.

My player of the game was Peski.....wow has he come a long long ways.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I feel bad for him because of that and also... (and maybe it's just me) but it feels like certain media types get all smug and want him to fail so they can make a point to fans about Cam being far superior. 

IDK just rubs me the wrong way.

Bingo, and I don't think it's just the media folks.  I don't know what it is either.  He's a good kid.  I don't think I've ever seen a goalie get pulled like that.  I've seen a goalie get pulled instantly after two goals, but never during intermission.  I was also not impressed with berry's post game comments.  He made it sound as though matej was playing bad....it was the team in front of him. Again very strange.

• Upvote 4

Was at the game last night and sat to the side of Tomek.  He was not sharp and was not tracking the puck well at all. On one shot he was already looking behind him for the puck and it hadn't arrived. It happened to hit him in the pads. For all knocking on Boeser it was clear he is hurting and seems to have a lower body issue. He does need tt o quit complaining to the ref.   UND was pretty dominant last two periods. Big props to the freshmen as they played well and with energy. Some line changes made during the game seemed to get things going. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Bingo, and I don't think it's just the media folks.  I don't know what it is either.  He's a good kid.  I don't think I've ever seen a goalie get pulled like that.  I've seen a goalie get pulled instantly after two goals, but never during intermission.  I was also not impressed with berry's post game comments.  He made it sound as though matej was playing bad....it was the team in front of him. Again very strange.

I agree.  Nothing Matej could have done on first goal.  Second goal was a bomb.  There are times as a goalie when you're in the perfect spot, out of the paint, on the angle and the puck just beats you, like when a baseball player hits a great pitch out of the stadium....you tip your cap.

I hope Tomek getting pulled was more of a wakeup to the group than a wakeup you're playing bad Matej.  

• Upvote 2

Didn't get to watch the game but sounded like the Bowen, Yon, and Gornall line was our best line and although Gornall hasn't played a whole lot Bowen and Yon have been very good together all year so I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise. Also sounded like Peski was very good last night. The 1st period wasn't very good at all but seemed like the team woke up after the 1st intermission. I wasn't surprised to see Tomek get the start over Hrynkiw with Johnson being out but with the way things went in the 1st I also wasn't surprised to see Hrynkiw start the 2nd. The 1st goal wasn't Tomek's fault at all but the 2nd goal was a bad goal where he was caught out of position. I'm not sure how long Johnson will be out but I think Hrynkiw will be getting the call until he is back unless he gets absolutely lit up one game. It isn't because of anything Hrynkiw showed last night but more a comfortability thing for Berry knowing that Hrynkiw stepped in and was solid last year when Johnson was out.

So after Shaw tied it up, the Refs reviewed it and signaled that it was a good goal. Immediately following that the PA announcer said that CC had issued a challenge and the Refs went right back into the penalty box to re-review the goal again. Has anyone heard of this before??? I didn't know that a coach could issue a challenge, particularly after the officials had already ruled it a good goal.

3 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

So after Shaw tied it up, the Refs reviewed it and signaled that it was a good goal. Immediately following that the PA announcer said that CC had issued a challenge and the Refs went right back into the penalty box to re-review the goal again. Has anyone heard of this before??? I didn't know that a coach could issue a challenge, particularly after the officials had already ruled it a good goal.

Yeah that was a little strange. I don't think it was necessarily an official challenge, but more so probably something the coach pointed out and they realized they didn't even look for what he pointed out. Maybe they were looking for goalie interference and he pointed out a high stick or an off sides or something. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Yeah, it happened last week here.  They don't review a goal for offside, so since CC had a timeout they were able to challenge for offsides. That is part of the reason it's a crapshoot when you use your timeout when your players are tired on an icing call.  There are a lot of close plays at the line resulting in goals.  I would like to have that timeout in the bag for those circumstances, but you could also give up a goal if your players are extremely tired.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Yes, it is an NCHC rule that the officials can go back and review for offsides.  It happened just last week against UMD.  UMD lost a goal because the goal review indicated good goal.  UND challenged based on offsides and the goal was disallowed because UMD was offsides.  Not all conferences have this rule.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Yeah that was a little strange. I don't think it was necessarily an official challenge, but more so probably something the coach pointed out and they realized they didn't even look for what he pointed out. Maybe they were looking for goalie interference and he pointed out a high stick or an off sides or something. 

Yah, I was thinking Haviland was contesting that it was either an offsides or goaltender interference but upon getting home and watching the video replay, it was clearly none of that. It was a good goal.

10 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Yes believe Berry did it last Friday against Duluth. The challenge was for offsides and I don't think they look at that on their own reviews during the regular season. I think they can only look for whether the puck crossed the line, timing, and goalie interference.

37 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Didn't get to watch the game but sounded like the Bowen, Yon, and Gornall line was our best line and although Gornall hasn't played a whole lot Bowen and Yon have been very good together all year so I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise. Also sounded like Peski was very good last night. The 1st period wasn't very good at all but seemed like the team woke up after the 1st intermission. I wasn't surprised to see Tomek get the start over Hrynkiw with Johnson being out but with the way things went in the 1st I also wasn't surprised to see Hrynkiw start the 2nd. The 1st goal wasn't Tomek's fault at all but the 2nd goal was a bad goal where he was caught out of position. I'm not sure how long Johnson will be out but I think Hrynkiw will be getting the call until he is back unless he gets absolutely lit up one game. It isn't because of anything Hrynkiw showed last night but more a comfortability thing for Berry knowing that Hrynkiw stepped in and was solid last year when Johnson was out.

The second goal was an absolute snipe. As noted in your post, u clearly didn't watch the game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Can we have a Brock sighting tonight?

Goodness..........

Brock gets off his game when he is complaining to the refs.  Hennessy called it on the radio coverage last night.  Took a bad penalty and had no basis to argue the call.  I have a feeling Brock will have a better game tonight.  What an effort by Gornall last night.  This year's version of Coltyn Sanderson?

10 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Brock gets off his game when he is complaining to the refs.  Hennessy called it on the radio coverage last night.  Took a bad penalty and had no basis to argue the call.  I have a feeling Brock will have a better game tonight.  What an effort by Gornall last night.  This year's version of Coltyn Sanderson?

I think that's the most underrated thing about good and great teams. You need guys who "lack talent" and have only their work rate to lean on. It holds everyone accountable for their effort and sets a tone every game.

22 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I think that's the most underrated thing about good and great teams. You need guys who "lack talent" and have only their work rate to lean on. It holds everyone accountable for their effort and sets a tone every game.

Gornall has a better skill set than Sanderson did though, even as a sophomore.