SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher football drama

Teeder11

44 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

It will be interesting to see who else becomes available from a transfer standpoint. I don't think you want to waste too much effort with transfers, but again, if you can find the right guy to fit the right need, then it is worth looking at. Also want to find a good character guy, which is something I would tend to question from players who protested the bowl, or are looking to transfer because of the Claeys situation. 

I am for freedom of speech, and standing up for what you believe in; but all too often people (especially young kids) don't understand that there is a responsibility that comes with that freedom. They tend to be a little over reactive, outspoken and unaware of the full scope of the situation before they run their mouths. All too often these kids forget they have an opportunity to play big time football, for a free education; something that is pretty unique to a small percentage of athletes overall. Though, as it goes with the up and coming generation, too many of these kids think this is an entitlement rather than an opportunity. You play for the University, you don't run the University. If you're that high and mighty about how much you disagree then by all means, forfeit, your spot on the team and all of the benefits that come wi

I also find it interesting that the underclassmen kid is willing to make comments like that in an interview, but is not willing to attach his name to those comments. As for Leidner, I've never been a big fan; Glad to see him go.

Nevertheless, from a purely on the field standpoint, and talent wise, it will be interesting to see if UND or other regional FCS schools benefit from what is going on at the U.

An underclassman starter is also skeptical many players will stick around.

"I honestly don't think it matters who the coach is," he told ESPN. "People don't want to play for the administration. So I think countless people will transfer if possible.

Leidner said he wonders how many players with eligibility will come back.

"No one is happy with the administration right now. I don't know who would want to be a part of this program at this time," he said.

Really classy response by Claeys too. Solid move to make yourself attractive to other schools.

"I won't be up here freezing my ass off, so y'all enjoy the winter," Claeys told Minneapolis TV station KSTP a few hours after being fired.

What a sh!#t show.

3 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

What a sh!#t show.

What makes it even more of a Sh!#t show, is all of the fans and even some alumni that are so upset that Claeys got fired. IMO, the U finally made a smart decision.

Players have a party resulting in alleged sexual assuauly (regardless of charges/no charges ... disgusting all around)

Players "support" their teammates (and essentially their actions" by boycotting bowl game. (Kind of a middle finger from the players to boosters, donors, fans, etc)

Coach supports players, for supporting their teammates, for deplorable actions at a party (Kind of a middle finger to his bosses, and those listed above)

Coach and players back peddle and then say they are boycotting the lack of due process ( :blink: )

Administration fires coach ... but players and coaches can't understand why ... SMH

Players are upset with the school for firing this guy and not supporting him, even though he couldn't support the decisions of the school.

Players are upset with the school for moving on from this guy, even though their teammates ultimately put him in position to begin with.

Players are upset that their coach is gone after a 9-4 season, but can't understand that coaches are accountable for more than just on field results.

NOW, former Head Coach Jerry Kill is upset and states he will never step foot on campus again .... despite being the OC for another Big Ten team ... You just can't make this stuff up! :lol:

Worth the read!

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/03/gopher-football-john-shipley-whos-to-blame-for-gophers-mess-apparently-anyone-but-the-players/

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I am for freedom of speech, and standing up for what you believe in; but all too often people (especially young kids) don't understand that there is a responsibility that comes with that freedom. They tend to be a little over reactive, outspoken and unaware of the full scope of the situation before they run their mouths. All too often these kids forget they have an opportunity to play big time football, for a free education; something that is pretty unique to a small percentage of athletes overall. Though, as it goes with the up and coming generation, too many of these kids think this is an entitlement rather than an opportunity. You play for the University, you don't run the University. If you're that high and mighty about how much you disagree then by all means, forfeit, your spot on the team and all of the benefits that come wi

These players are not employees, as our "friends" at the NCAA are quick to point out. Their position on following due process was essentially correct; their response was too abrasive and thus was misconstrued by the media and others.

And please don't broad-brush the millennial generation based on this ugly incident. This stuff has went on for years on countless campuses; the difference is today you have social media and cell phones with visual recording capability. The U of M will follow their internal processes and whatever will happen will happen.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

These players are not employees, as our "friends" at the NCAA are quick to point out. Their position on following due process was essentially correct; their response was too abrasive and thus was misconstrued by the media and others.

And please don't broad-brush the millennial generation based on this ugly incident. This stuff has went on for years on countless campuses; the difference is today you have social media and cell phones with visual recording capability. The U of M will follow their internal processes and whatever will happen will happen.

The student are not employees, but they still represent the university and receive benefits for playing for the university. They are still required to abide by a certain code a of conduct/ethics. They may not be technical employees, but even that could be argued in today's world where athletes want additional pay/stipend/etc. for playing sports.

They can take whatever position they want, but they look like whiny babies boycotting the bowl game, unless they're players were reinstated and they received apologies from the AD and the President (wouldn't want any hurt feelings). Read the article I posted, they act like a hurt bunch of grade school kids. Saying the administration doesn't support the program, despite everything else that is being done to build the program (facilities?!?!?!), despite the scholarship money that these kids (excuse me, young men) are receiving. Honestly, if I was the new coach coming in, I would rather take a bunch of new Walk Ons that a good portion of these kids, that are willing to stand up for their buddies after some pretty disgusting acts were made public.

As for the millennial generation, technically I'm a part of it. And no, the stereotypical millennial definition does not apply to everyone, but millennials are stereotyped for a reason. There is a large percentage of this generation that were raised with a Cry Baby, "don't hurt my feelings", "I'm Entitled", "It's my right", "I'll protest/boycott", "I'm offended" mentality. This group of kids is no different. My friends got in trouble, so I'm going to take my ball and go home .... Rather than, my friends did something really stupid, hopefully they learn from it and come back better people.

12 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

The student are not employees, but they still represent the university and receive benefits for playing for the university. They are still required to abide by a certain code a of conduct/ethics. They may not be technical employees, but even that could be argued in today's world where athletes want additional pay/stipend/etc. for playing sports.

Only in the world of academia are people guilty until proven innocent. Didn't North Dakota pass a law giving students a right to legal counsel when litigating a dispute with a college and/or university?

They can take whatever position they want, but they look like whiny babies boycotting the bowl game, unless they're players were reinstated and they received apologies from the AD and the President (wouldn't want any hurt feelings). Read the article I posted, they act like a hurt bunch of grade school kids. Saying the administration doesn't support the program, despite everything else that is being done to build the program (facilities?!?!?!), despite the scholarship money that these kids (excuse me, young men) are receiving. Honestly, if I was the new coach coming in, I would rather take a bunch of new Walk Ons that a good portion of these kids, that are willing to stand up for their buddies after some pretty disgusting acts were made public.

I think the issue is that it looked like due process wasn't being followed. I don't like how they went about it, but their beef was not entirely illegitimate.

As for the millennial generation, technically I'm a part of it. And no, the stereotypical millennial definition does not apply to everyone, but millennials are stereotyped for a reason. There is a large percentage of this generation that were raised with a Cry Baby, "don't hurt my feelings", "I'm Entitled", "It's my right", "I'll protest/boycott", "I'm offended" mentality. This group of kids is no different. My friends got in trouble, so I'm going to take my ball and go home .... Rather than, my friends did something really stupid, hopefully they learn from it and come back better people.

Name one generation that wasn't blamed for all the ills of society. The Baby Boomers were savaged by the WW2 Generation for every problem in the world, when in fact the Baby Boomers were responsible for civil rights reform, environmental reform and giving back to the world with the Peace Corps. And if protests and boycotts (which were the bedrock of the civil rights struggle) mean someone is acting "entitled", then that should be worn as a badge of honor. If you don't stand up for yourself, no one else will either.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Only in the world of academia are people guilty until proven innocent. Didn't North Dakota pass a law giving students a right to legal counsel when litigating a dispute with a college and/or university?

I think that is the issue here; it looked like due process wasn't being followed. I don't like how they went about it, but their beef was not entirely illegitimate.

Name one generation that wasn't blamed for all the ills of society. The Baby Boomers were savaged by the WW2 Generation for every problem in the world, when in fact the Baby Boomers were responsible for civil rights reform, environmental reform and giving back to the world with the Peace Corps. And if protests and boycotts (which were the bedrock of the civil rights struggle) mean someone is acting "entitled", then that should be worn as a badge of honor. If you don't stand up for yourself, no one else will either.

You understand that the President and AD were going to get fried for this either way, correct? They are in a position to take action for their students mishaps, and once those mishaps are made public the school has to deal with the fallout of the court of public opinion, which translates to school reputation and ultimately dollars for the University.

Had the President and AD not suspended the player or fired the dimwit coach, they would have then been criticized for not taking action, and having a weak stance when their players were accused of sexual assault. Given the previous issues this school has had (Norwood Teague; The basketball players videos last year; the Wrestling team's drug incident) the President took a stance (IMO the correct one). These incidents have been piling up for the U, and it causes a ton of public embarrassment.

Punishment is not solely dictated by the law, if it was then we could eliminate punishment for drinking in the dorms ... unless caught by a police office, we can eliminate all other University punishment, as these should be dictated by a court. We might as well eliminate the notion of school suspension and expulsions unless ordered by a judge. Sh!t, I should probably stop giving my kid a time out for "not playing nicely with their siblings". But you're right, I'm painting Millenials with too broad of a brush. C'mon Man.

Protests and Boycotts are not acting Entitled, a generation of youth (Millenials) demanding free public education is acting entitled. A generation of youth (who took out more loans than they should have) and want their student debt repaid is acting entitled. Protest and Boycotts are great ... when you know what you are boycotting for. Boycotting for your buddies that ran a train on a girl, probably isn't a very worthy cause. Unfortunately, today's youth also tend to confuse the terms Protest and Riot, and half of those that are out there doing their "protesting" couldn't give you a straight answer as to what they are protesting. We're talking about a generation where kids are given "safe rooms" to be in because they didn't get the results they wanted in a Presidential election. A generation who, even when I was at UND, would bring dog and cats on campus during Finals week, to help "de-stress" the students. Good Lord, I know not every single person that is a "Millenial" is like that ... but how soft are we becoming.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

You understand that the President and AD were going to get fried for this either way, correct? They are in a position to take action for their students mishaps, and once those mishaps are made public the school has to deal with the fallout of the court of public opinion, which translates to school reputation and ultimately dollars for the University.

Had the President and AD not suspended the player or fired the dimwit coach, they would have then been criticized for not taking action, and having a weak stance when their players were accused of sexual assault. Given the previous issues this school has had (Norwood Teague; The basketball players videos last year; the Wrestling team's drug incident) the President took a stance (IMO the correct one). These incidents have been piling up for the U, and it causes a ton of public embarrassment.

Punishment is not solely dictated by the law, if it was then we could eliminate punishment for drinking in the dorms ... unless caught by a police office, we can all other University punishment, as these should be dictated by a court. We might as well eliminate the notion of school suspension and expulsions unless ordered by a judge. Sh!t, I should probably stop giving my kid a time out, as "not playing nicely with their siblings". But you're right, I'm painting Millenials with too broad of a brush. C'mon Man.

Protests and Boycotts are not acting Entitled, a generation of youth (Millenials) demanding free public education is acting entitled. A generation of youth (who took out more loans than they should have) and want their student debt repaid is acting entitled. Protest and Boycotts are great ... when you know what you are boycotting for. Boycotting for your buddies that ran a train on a girl, probably isn't a very worthy cause. Unfortunately, today's youth also tend to confuse the terms Protest and Riot, and having of those that are out there doing their "protesting" couldn't give you a straight answer as to what they are protesting. We're talking about a generation where kids are given "safe rooms" to be in because they didn't get the results they wanted in a Presidential election. A generation who, even when I was at UND, would bring dog and cats on campus during Finals week, to help "de-stress" the students. Good Lord, I know not every single person that is a "Millenial" is like that ... but how soft are we becoming.

Good stuff. In regard to protests, it seems protests only work when there are legitimate human rights violations on a large scale.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Personally, I think Bubba should absolutely put in a few phone calls to Gopher recruits, depending on the positions and what UND needs. Normally, I would say if a kid commits, then you can respect the decision, but this is a different kind of situation. I understand a kid wanting to play in a power 5 conference, but as a parent, I would have some serious reservations about my kid going to the U with everything that has happened there over the past several years. Just seems to be bad decision after bad decision.

I understand that Claeys may have been somewhat of a fall guy in a bad situation, but he didn't help himself any, in tweeting support of players who wanted to boycott a bowl game in supports of fellow players who were involved in a pretty nasty situation. Supporting your teammates is good and all, but you also need to be aware of the situation. Student athletes have more than 1 set of rules to follow, there is the law, and there is also a student/athlete code of conduct. If the University sees the need to suspend the players, regardless of what comes out of the legal process, they have the right to do so. Personally, I though the players made themselves look pretty dumb and ignorant.

And if Claeys and the players had that information prior to their boycott and standing up for their teammates it probably would not have went the way it did.

I also have to believe that Mark Coyle is not going to let anything tying to a sexual assault, or those types of allegations go without much attention, considering he got the job at the U because of what Norwood Teague did to get himself fired. It amazes me, how much uproar there is over Claeys getting fired. Yes he got them 2 bowl wins (Lets face it, he wasn't winning the Rose Bowl). Yes, he had a winning record (which was still underwhelming, given his schedule. But seriously, there are way more qualified coaches than Tracy Claeys, who was really in the right spot at the right time to get this job in the first place. Altogether, Claeys doesn't come across as the brightest bulb on the tree, and he showed that when he undermined the University that was paying him pretty decent money, by supporting kids that were choosing to ignore sexual assault allegations, in favor of sticking with their buddies.

Back to the original point, if there are some Gopher recruits that UND would be interested in, it is absolutely worth the phone call. Probably won't land the kids, but its still worth the call. (Of course, a lot of this depends on how fast the U announces a new coach, who he is, and what his approach is with the current players and recruits)

Per 247sports

•  
    •  
    • Eric Abojei
      Eric AbojeiRobbinsdale Cooper (Minneapolis, MN)
      OT6-4310 0.8422

•  

Top 2 prospects out of MN, both committed to the Gophers, bother with a bunch of FBS offers. Probably no shot at all, but still worth pickin up the phone, given the uncertainty of the situation. Ott wasn't really expected to go to UND either, and while there are both FBS caliber O-lineman and I'd be surprised to see a switch, its still worth looking into.

• Boye Mafe
    Boye MafeHopkins (Hopkins, MN)
    WDE6-4225 0.8247

•  

Has and offer from UND, as well as several other FCS schools. Has an offer from MN, Wyoming and Rutgers. There has been some talk about this kid wanting to land somewhere he can play with his HS buddies. Not sure how serious that is, or how important that is, but again hopefully UND is still recruiting the kid.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Already has an offer from UND. Doesn't look like he had an offer from the U, but possibly some interest. Hopefully the coaches are still fighting hard for this kid.

17 minutes ago, petey23 said:

And if Claeys and the players had that information prior to their boycott and standing up for their teammates it probably would not have went the way it did.

Possibly, but I have a hard time believing they didn't know what was going on. There was enough that had been published to give you a flavor of what was going on. Also fair to say that what happened wouldn't have been kept silent from one player to another. That kind of stuff just doesn't stay secret on a team.

Even so, its really tough to believe that the players were suspended, but the coach wasn't told why. Claeys would have been kept informed, but rather than talking to his team, he defied his employers, and goes on record in public support of what these kids are doing. That is some weak leadership right there.

But lets say these kids didn't know anything at all (impossible the coach had no information), everyone sort of double down with their public twitter rant yesterday. 

Nevertheless, I think the U is better off without him. He seemed like kind of an idiot from the moment he was hired. Now Jerry Kill is showing off his true color as well. 

Sorry but these kids protesting the suspension of their buddies, after what went down, (to me), is no better than the kids that were protesting Joe Paterno's firing, after that happened.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

What makes it even more of a Sh!#t show, is all of the fans and even some alumni that are so upset that Claeys got fired. IMO, the U finally made a smart decision.

Players have a party resulting in alleged sexual assuauly (regardless of charges/no charges ... disgusting all around)

Players "support" their teammates (and essentially their actions" by boycotting bowl game. (Kind of a middle finger from the players to boosters, donors, fans, etc)

Coach supports players, for supporting their teammates, for deplorable actions at a party (Kind of a middle finger to his bosses, and those listed above)

Coach and players back peddle and then say they are boycotting the lack of due process ( :blink: )

Administration fires coach ... but players and coaches can't understand why ... SMH

Players are upset with the school for firing this guy and not supporting him, even though he couldn't support the decisions of the school.

Players are upset with the school for moving on from this guy, even though their teammates ultimately put him in position to begin with.

Players are upset that their coach is gone after a 9-4 season, but can't understand that coaches are accountable for more than just on field results.

NOW, former Head Coach Jerry Kill is upset and states he will never step foot on campus again .... despite being the OC for another Big Ten team ... You just can't make this stuff up! :lol:

Worth the read!

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/03/gopher-football-john-shipley-whos-to-blame-for-gophers-mess-apparently-anyone-but-the-players/

Tried and convicted in the public arena.  Maybe give the players their day in court.  Pigs?  Sure!  Criminals? To be determined but doesn't sound like it.

• Upvote 1

I think the bigger issue is that there were players who were suspended when it happened and the police reviewed it and no charges while filed. Then a few months later, even more players were suspended, with half of them being recommended for expulsion for something that they had already felt being addressed and people punished for. While not condoning or defending anything that took place, I can see where the confusion and anger comes from on the players part. I'm also not sure they were explained the difference between the burden of proof that the police and the Title IX offices work off of, because the difference is huge and without understanding that, it adds even more confusion why this came back out of seemingly nowhere. I don't know who knew what, how much of it they knew and when they knew it, but that obviously plays a part in it as well. While I truly believe most involved were acting with good intentions and likely less than the full amount of information that is now public, there isn't anyone that comes out of this looking good.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Possibly, but I have a hard time believing they didn't know what was going on. There was enough that had been published to give you a flavor of what was going on. Also fair to say that what happened wouldn't have been kept silent from one player to another. That kind of stuff just doesn't stay secret on a team.

Even so, its really tough to believe that the players were suspended, but the coach wasn't told why. Claeys would have been kept informed, but rather than talking to his team, he defied his employers, and goes on record in public support of what these kids are doing. That is some weak leadership right there.

But lets say these kids didn't know anything at all (impossible the coach had no information), everyone sort of double down with their public twitter rant yesterday. 

Nevertheless, I think the U is better off without him. He seemed like kind of an idiot from the moment he was hired. Now Jerry Kill is showing off his true color as well. 

Sorry but these kids protesting the suspension of their buddies, after what went down, (to me), is no better than the kids that were protesting Joe Paterno's firing, after that happened.

That may be how it should have went down...but from what I have heard, it didn't.

Players protest. Claeys supports them. Team leaders and Claeys are shown the 80 page report. Team leaders and Claeys say "oh, screw those guys, we'll play...sorry for the inconvenience."

Incompetence by the A.D. and Prez.

27 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Tried and convicted in the public arena.  Maybe give the players their day in court.  Pigs?  Sure!  Criminals? To be determined but doesn't sound like it.

Not criminal. No charges were filed in the end....character guys you want in your program? Nope.

9 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Personally, I think Bubba should absolutely put in a few phone calls to Gopher recruits, depending on the positions and what UND needs. Normally, I would say if a kid commits, then you can respect the decision, but this is a different kind of situation. I understand a kid wanting to play in a power 5 conference, but as a parent, I would have some serious reservations about my kid going to the U with everything that has happened there over the past several years. Just seems to be bad decision after bad decision.

I understand that Claeys may have been somewhat of a fall guy in a bad situation, but he didn't help himself any, in tweeting support of players who wanted to boycott a bowl game in supports of fellow players who were involved in a pretty nasty situation. Supporting your teammates is good and all, but you also need to be aware of the situation. Student athletes have more than 1 set of rules to follow, there is the law, and there is also a student/athlete code of conduct. If the University sees the need to suspend the players, regardless of what comes out of the legal process, they have the right to do so. Personally, I though the players made themselves look pretty dumb and ignorant.

I also have to believe that Mark Coyle is not going to let anything tying to a sexual assault, or those types of allegations go without much attention, considering he got the job at the U because of what Norwood Teague did to get himself fired. It amazes me, how much uproar there is over Claeys getting fired. Yes he got them 2 bowl wins (Lets face it, he wasn't winning the Rose Bowl). Yes, he had a winning record (which was still underwhelming, given his schedule. But seriously, there are way more qualified coaches than Tracy Claeys, who was really in the right spot at the right time to get this job in the first place. Altogether, Claeys doesn't come across as the brightest bulb on the tree, and he showed that when he undermined the University that was paying him pretty decent money, by supporting kids that were choosing to ignore sexual assault allegations, in favor of sticking with their buddies.

Back to the original point, if there are some Gopher recruits that UND would be interested in, it is absolutely worth the phone call. Probably won't land the kids, but its still worth the call. (Of course, a lot of this depends on how fast the U announces a new coach, who he is, and what his approach is with the current players and recruits)

Per 247sports

•  
    •  
    • Eric Abojei
      Eric AbojeiRobbinsdale Cooper (Minneapolis, MN)
      OT6-4310 0.8422

•  

Top 2 prospects out of MN, both committed to the Gophers, bother with a bunch of FBS offers. Probably no shot at all, but still worth pickin up the phone, given the uncertainty of the situation. Ott wasn't really expected to go to UND either, and while there are both FBS caliber O-lineman and I'd be surprised to see a switch, its still worth looking into.

• Boye Mafe
    Boye MafeHopkins (Hopkins, MN)
    WDE6-4225 0.8247

•  

Has and offer from UND, as well as several other FCS schools. Has an offer from MN, Wyoming and Rutgers. There has been some talk about this kid wanting to land somewhere he can play with his HS buddies. Not sure how serious that is, or how important that is, but again hopefully UND is still recruiting the kid.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Already has an offer from UND. Doesn't look like he had an offer from the U, but possibly some interest. Hopefully the coaches are still fighting hard for this kid.

As a Gopher football fan I'm not happy at all with Claeys being fired. This staff had brought Minnesota back to respectability and was starting to take the next step. The staff is a great group of guys and most of them won't be out of work for long especially those on the defensive side of the ball. Claeys and then Sawvel are some of the best defensive minds out there and showed as DC's. I mean just look at the gameplan they put together to shut down one of the best passing offenses in the country even though they were missing 3 of their top 4 corners and a freshman All American safety. There are major problems with the administration and their mishandling of the alleged sexual assault is just one thing. A major problem is they just don't communicate very well at all which is also a big part of the boycott took place. The players feel very little respect, support, and trust from the AD and president. When they suspended the 10 players for the bowl game coaches found out about a half hour before a practice and the news came out during practice and no new information was given to the coaching staff. The AD Coyle lied about and continues to lie about Claeys being behind the players being suspended as Claeys was in San Diego for the Holiday Bowl press conference. Coyle also wouldn't answer any questions when he met with the team about the suspension citing student privacy laws but somehow the names of who was suspended was able to get out to the media quickly. A lot of the frustration from players, fans, and coaches with the suspension for the bowl game was 5 of the players had been suspended earlier in the year for the same incident and then suddenly another 5 appeared in this suspension for the same situation because of the EOAA which isn't exactly a fair unbiased group to determine an outcome in this situation. The boycott started because of the way administration didn't communicate the process but the players took that action because of the lack of the due process the players received. It wasn't really about the first 5 who had been investigated and suspended earlier this year before being allowed to come back. It was about the 2nd 5 who from all reports really weren't involved in any sexually activity at all but were in the same apartment at 1 time or another for some amount of time during the night in question. When meeting with some regents and the AD they ask for the 2nd 5 to be reinstated and the AD had ok'd that but the university's attorney eventually shut it down saying that the victim would have to give the athletic department the ok to reinstate those players which makes absolutely no sense. Not sure how many people know but the players also almost reinstated the boycott after they announced they would play as President Kaler spoke to the media after the players announced it and basically took all the credit for the players ending the boycott. Kaler had nothing to do with the boycott ending and he is lucky 2 members of the board of regents went to go calm the players down again to keep them from reinstating the boycott. The alleged sexual assault case is nowhere close to over either one of the Gophers top freshmen Carter Coughlin tweeted this today.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Both sides of the story deserve to be heard. <a href="https://t.co/uLm1JjSgWp">pic.twitter.com/uLm1JjSgWp</a></p>&mdash; Carter Coughlin (@Cmoe34) <a href="https://twitter.com/Cmoe34/status/816712814312247297">January 4, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Anyway more about what concerns UND I'm not sure how many transfers there will be from Minnesota. I know this team was very attached to this staff and there are a lot of strong statements and feelings right now but that is often the case when a coach is fired. PJ Fleck is rumored to be the next coach at Minnesota and while I'm not sold on him at all he does seem like the type of guy who could sell a lot of these guys on staying. The biggest thing with the transfers is the players aren't necessarily transferring because of the coach but because of the AD/President and as a coach how do you sell these players on those guys supporting you when the players have seen they haven't and the AD has flat out lied to these players. As for current commits if they decide to look elsewhere Andries had offers from pretty much everybody Oklahoma, Nebraska, Miami, Florida, etc. so he wouldn't be looking at UND. Abojei would probably look at Iowa St. as that was one of the other schools who got multiple visits from him this summer. Rousemiller does have a PWO offer from Minnesota.

56 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

As a Gopher football fan I'm not happy at all with Claeys being fired. This staff had brought Minnesota back to respectability and was starting to take the next step. The staff is a great group of guys and most of them won't be out of work for long especially those on the defensive side of the ball. Claeys and then Sawvel are some of the best defensive minds out there and showed as DC's. I mean just look at the gameplan they put together to shut down one of the best passing offenses in the country even though they were missing 3 of their top 4 corners and a freshman All American safety. There are major problems with the administration and their mishandling of the alleged sexual assault is just one thing. A major problem is they just don't communicate very well at all which is also a big part of the boycott took place. The players feel very little respect, support, and trust from the AD and president. When they suspended the 10 players for the bowl game coaches found out about a half hour before a practice and the news came out during practice and no new information was given to the coaching staff. The AD Coyle lied about and continues to lie about Claeys being behind the players being suspended as Claeys was in San Diego for the Holiday Bowl press conference. Coyle also wouldn't answer any questions when he met with the team about the suspension citing student privacy laws but somehow the names of who was suspended was able to get out to the media quickly. A lot of the frustration from players, fans, and coaches with the suspension for the bowl game was 5 of the players had been suspended earlier in the year for the same incident and then suddenly another 5 appeared in this suspension for the same situation because of the EOAA which isn't exactly a fair unbiased group to determine an outcome in this situation. The boycott started because of the way administration didn't communicate the process but the players took that action because of the lack of the due process the players received. It wasn't really about the first 5 who had been investigated and suspended earlier this year before being allowed to come back. It was about the 2nd 5 who from all reports really weren't involved in any sexually activity at all but were in the same apartment at 1 time or another for some amount of time during the night in question. When meeting with some regents and the AD they ask for the 2nd 5 to be reinstated and the AD had ok'd that but the university's attorney eventually shut it down saying that the victim would have to give the athletic department the ok to reinstate those players which makes absolutely no sense. Not sure how many people know but the players also almost reinstated the boycott after they announced they would play as President Kaler spoke to the media after the players announced it and basically took all the credit for the players ending the boycott. Kaler had nothing to do with the boycott ending and he is lucky 2 members of the board of regents went to go calm the players down again to keep them from reinstating the boycott. The alleged sexual assault case is nowhere close to over either one of the Gophers top freshmen Carter Coughlin tweeted this today.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Both sides of the story deserve to be heard. <a href="https://t.co/uLm1JjSgWp">pic.twitter.com/uLm1JjSgWp</a></p>&mdash; Carter Coughlin (@Cmoe34) <a href="https://twitter.com/Cmoe34/status/816712814312247297">January 4, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Anyway more about what concerns UND I'm not sure how many transfers there will be from Minnesota. I know this team was very attached to this staff and there are a lot of strong statements and feelings right now but that is often the case when a coach is fired. PJ Fleck is rumored to be the next coach at Minnesota and while I'm not sold on him at all he does seem like the type of guy who could sell a lot of these guys on staying. The biggest thing with the transfers is the players aren't necessarily transferring because of the coach but because of the AD/President and as a coach how do you sell these players on those guys supporting you when the players have seen they haven't and the AD has flat out lied to these players. As for current commits if they decide to look elsewhere Andries had offers from pretty much everybody Oklahoma, Nebraska, Miami, Florida, etc. so he wouldn't be looking at UND. Abojei would probably look at Iowa St. as that was one of the other schools who got multiple visits from him this summer. Rousemiller does have a PWO offer from Minnesota.

Reading all of that made my blood boil a bit. Academia at its finest. 

5 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

My guess is Fleck or the BSU coach, for Coyle's sake he better get either one and fast.

Doubt any of the in-state kids flee, Andries already stated his commitment to stay

9 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

My guess is Fleck or the BSU coach, for Coyle's sake he better get either one and fast.

Doubt any of the in-state kids flee, Andries already stated his commitment to stay

Andries would have never picked UND anyway, but you do have to wonder, even if these kids wanted to leave, would some of there other offers still stand? Abojei was offered by Iowa St, but maybe they have filled the spot by now.

Definitely interested to hear what is going on with Mafe, since he still hasn't committed anywhere. Same with Rousemiller, as we can always use some more big guys.

I believe National Signing Day is Feb1 , anyone know how many more commits we can expect?

14 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Reading all of that made my blood boil a bit. Academia at its finest. 

Maybe so,  but Minny's athletic department has been a fiasco the last few years, at least in the Men's sports.  Here's an excerpt from Patrick Reusse's (Star Tribune) annual Turkey of the Year article for 2016...

The Turkey of the Year for 2016 is a large and costly entity:

Men’s Athletics at the University of Minnesota.

The male athletes provided the university with the worst basketball team in 120 years of the sport in 2015-16, the once-proud hockey team just won the second of its past 17 games vs. other Minnesota teams, the 2015 football team went 5-7 and reacted to a bowl bid as if it was deserved, and even last Saturday, there were fewer than 25,000 spectators in the stadium for a season-saving victory over Northwestern.

Also on the résumé of men’s athletics is the Xanax ring that was operating inside the wrestling team and wound up getting legendary coach J Robinson dismissed.

Oh, yeah. The fellows also had so many videos of sexual encounters floating around in the ether that the Turkey Committee was wondering if a couple of coaches had brought in Ray J as a motivational speaker.

I wondered about Claeys when he came out in support of the players and their boycott. When the report was "leaked" and it was that bad and the team backtracked, I knew Claeys was jammed up bad. He'd basically stuck a finger into the eye of the UM administration. Seems he got a boot in the < bleep > for it. 

4 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Andries would have never picked UND anyway, but you do have to wonder, even if these kids wanted to leave, would some of there other offers still stand? Abojei was offered by Iowa St, but maybe they have filled the spot by now.

Definitely interested to hear what is going on with Mafe, since he still hasn't committed anywhere. Same with Rousemiller, as we can always use some more big guys.

I believe National Signing Day is Feb1 , anyone know how many more commits we can expect?

Rousemiller, so far anyway, has only been offered by UND and has a walk-on available at UM. I personally would be shocked if he walked on at that program rather than take a scholarship at UND, but crazier things have happened. 

Just now, Hardcore Hawk said:

Rousemiller, so far anyway, has only been offered by UND and has a walk-on available at UM. I personally would be shocked if he walked on at that program rather than take a scholarship at UND, but crazier things have happened. 

Agreed, I certainly hope he take the scholarship. We can always use more big guys.

• Upvote 1