SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 4:47 PM, OgieOgilthorpe said:

GFC is the clear #1 in the state this season and HB is the obvious bottom feeder, but what are your thoughts on all of the teams in between? 

My early season rankings:

East:   1. Grand Forks Central

2. Grand Forks Red River

3. Fargo Davies

4. Devils Lake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Fargo South/Shanley

6. Fargo North

7. West Fargo

8. Grafton

West:  1. Bismarck High

2. Jamestown

3. Bismarck Century

4. Minot

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Mandan

6. Dickinson

7. Bott

8. Williston

9. Hazen/Beulah

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if South beat Davies tonight. South took a tough loss to DL early on but kept within one goal against RR. They are a tough team to read. I also predict that both South and DL will end up passing Davies in the standings, but I had to give them the #3 spot just with how things have played out so far. I also see South, Davies and/or DL beating RR at some point this season, as they are showing to be playing well below expectations thus far. Costello has been far from spectacular, does anyone know the story with him?

Bismarck High is the easy favorite out West again. And as always, the mix of Mandan, Century and Minot is hard to read. Just when you think you have them figured out, one of them gets blown out by a lower ranked team. Should make for an interesting season! 

I personally look forward to the West/East clash in the GF Holiday tournament when BHS comes to town. I think Central will take care of BHS but RR will fall short to the Western King. 

Nice call, Ogie.  Switch Minot and Jamestown around, and you almost ran the table.

Side topic: I just found out about the 'Midwest High School Hockey League'. It looks like Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska joined together to make one league for high school. Pretty interesting. 

Also, I noticed on their site that they had tryouts listed for a team going to americas showcase. It sounds like it's the sequel to the laid off Chicago showcase. I didn't even realize it existed. ND had a team in it last year and got spanked. They lost to Florida, San Diego and Colorado. They were in the C pool. Yikes! Seems a little unrepresentative obviously. 

Anyone know if ND is attempting to get a better tryout process set up for his team? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Playoff hockey started in ND tonight.  Williston beats Hazen 8-0.  

And their reward is Bismarck High on Thursday.  

Going to go watch Davies/North game tomorrow then head to Bismarck Thursday to watch Jamestown/Dickinson. That one should be good. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Going to go watch Davies/North game tomorrow then head to Bismarck Thursday to watch Jamestown/Dickinson. That one should be good. 

Yeah that j-town vs dicky will be a good one. I don't see a top 4 team losing in either the west or east, but that'll be the best matchup. 

With Grant Johnson playing at his own level above the rest of the state this season, who are some past players that you remember being as good if not better than him? 

Just to name a few main stream and not so main stream names--- I remember Eric Meland from RR in 08 (Princeton), Chad Demers from GPR in 08 (Air Force), the morelands from central in the early 2000s, Mario Lamoureux at central (und) Jake Marto from central(und) , Harrison Aide from Bott, obviously Peluso in the 90s (UMD) and many more... 

others? 

4 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

With Grant Johnson playing at his own level above the rest of the state this season, who are some past players that you remember being as good if not better than him? 

Just to name a few main stream and not so main stream names--- I remember Eric Meland from RR in 08 (Princeton), Chad Demers from GPR in 08 (Air Force), the morelands from central in the early 2000s, Mario Lamoureux at central (und) Jake Marto from central(und) , Harrison Aide from Bott, obviously Peluso in the 90s (UMD) and many more... 

others? 

Tom Philion

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

others? 

Brandon Askew from South.  Great multi sport athlete.  Mihulka from RR always found ways to score.  Paul Weisgarber from South.  Believe he ended up at Air Force as well.