SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

8 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

With Grant Johnson playing at his own level above the rest of the state this season, who are some past players that you remember being as good if not better than him? 

Just to name a few main stream and not so main stream names--- I remember Eric Meland from RR in 08 (Princeton), Chad Demers from GPR in 08 (Air Force), the morelands from central in the early 2000s, Mario Lamoureux at central (und) Jake Marto from central(und) , Harrison Aide from Bott, obviously Peluso in the 90s (UMD) and many more... 

others? 

Darin Erstad of Jamestown. Could of been a D1 player had he not been such a great baseball player. Rocket for a shot. 

45 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Brandon Askew from South.  Great multi sport athlete.  Mihulka from RR always found ways to score.  Paul Weisgarber from South.  Believe he ended up at Air Force as well. 

Yeah I forgot about Weisgarber. He led the 2006 Fargo South team that won State and you're correct, he also played at Air Force.

9 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

With Grant Johnson playing at his own level above the rest of the state this season, who are some past players that you remember being as good if not better than him? 

Just to name a few main stream and not so main stream names--- I remember Eric Meland from RR in 08 (Princeton), Chad Demers from GPR in 08 (Air Force), the morelands from central in the early 2000s, Mario Lamoureux at central (und) Jake Marto from central(und) , Harrison Aide from Bott, obviously Peluso in the 90s (UMD) and many more... 

others? 

Ryan Potulny was a wrecking ball. Shocked he wasnt mentioned already.

• Upvote 1

On 2/12/2017 at 1:59 PM, Wilbur said:

That AA grand forks bantam team would beat a few high school teams in North Dakota.  Look at some of the names on that team and you just know they're good. 

I've seen two of their game in the Twin Cities.  They are awesome....and very big.  

6 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Must be; I was thinking of Rob Mihulka, who played for Grafton back in the 70's.  He was also a big running back in football, as I remember.

Yes, Rob is Marc's dad.  Marc went to RR and his friends call him "Ten Bears" because he's as strong as ten bears.  Marc's cousins Paul and Thomas Campbell were from Grafton and were very good players as well.

I went to the south DL game tonight. It was a hard fought close game all throughout. 3-0 score is deceiving. DL got a late PP goal and an empty netter. DL's home advantage was huge for them. They announced that there were over 500 students in attendance. That must be k-12, but still. It'll be a different story for them here in GF on Friday. I don't see both semi games being blow outs but it would take a miracle to knock off either GF team right now. They're in their own separate pack. I think DL, Davies and BHS are in their own pack a little ways behind RR+Central. 

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:39 AM, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Side topic: I just found out about the 'Midwest High School Hockey League'. It looks like Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska joined together to make one league for high school. Pretty interesting. 

Also, I noticed on their site that they had tryouts listed for a team going to americas showcase. It sounds like it's the sequel to the laid off Chicago showcase. I didn't even realize it existed. ND had a team in it last year and got spanked. They lost to Florida, San Diego and Colorado. They were in the C pool. Yikes! Seems a little unrepresentative obviously. 

Anyone know if ND is attempting to get a better tryout process set up for his team? 

Just an FYI, the MWHSHL has been in existence since 1976 when it started as the Iowa High School Hockey League.  It was all-Iowa for many years until it expanded into Nebraska and included Omaha.  At one time it even included Sioux Falls in the league until they left to go back to the SD league.  It now includes teams from Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas. 

If you follow youth hockey at all, or have kids in youth hockey, you will recognize many of the programs as they play often in North Dakota.  Sioux City, Omaha, and Des Moines are the programs you might be most familiar with as they venture up quite often.  Heck, I've been to Grand Forks twice this year already and usually have gone to Fargo a couple of times a year in the past for my kid's tournaments.

Level of play, judging on what I have seen in the youth ranks, is comparable to North Dakota High School Hockey.  I don't think there is a team that would topple the GF schools but would match up with the rest of the league very well.  The MW league also has the issue of losing its best players to AAA & junior hockey by the time they reach midgets, something I sense a lot of NoDak schools struggle with too.

I enjoy reading this thread as it is the only info I can find on NDHS hockey.  Yeah, I'm kind of a hockey junkie and enjoy following what's going on in ND, SD, MN, and IA/NE.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:59 PM, Wilbur said:

That AA grand forks bantam team would beat a few high school teams in North Dakota.  Look at some of the names on that team and you just know they're good. 

Disappointed I didn't get a chance to see the Aviators when I was up there.  Schedule just didn't line up.  I wanted to see the best Bantam team in the entire Upper Midwest in person.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:30 AM, sioux rube said:

Darin Erstad of Jamestown. Could of been a D1 player had he not been such a great baseball player. Rocket for a shot. 

Probably could have been a D1 track athlete as well.

Friends of mine who went to school in Jamestown say that if he didn't play hockey he would have probably been their best basketball player as well.