SiouxSports.com Forum

NC A&T/Richmond 4 right to lay an egg in the Hawks' Nest!

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

• 2 weeks later...

U Richmond football coach Danny Rocco goes to Delaware

UTC Mocs football coach Russ Huesman is leaving his alma mater to return to the place he once served as a defensive coordinator. The University of Richmond confirmed on Wednesday morning it has hired Huesman to be its next head football coach.

This list of FCS coaches salaries has been floating around a few message boards: Richmond, Delaware, Chat

Do not know how accurate it is:

Turner Gill received a base salary of $658,492 and a total compensation package of $750,116 for the Liberty fiscal year ending June 30, 2015, according to tax documents retrieved online. Liberty’s 5th year head coach had the highest compensation package of any other FCS coach we researched. The full list of 24 other head coaches’ salaries we reviewed is listed below:.

Richmond’s Danny Rocco received a total package worth $437,672. *
Northern Iowa’s Mark Farley had a base salary of $350,000. %
Villanova’s Andy Talley received a base salary of $304,642 with a total package of $341,096. *
James Madison’s Mike Houston had a starting salary of $300,000 in his first year this season. #
Illinois State’s Brock Spack had a base salary of $300,000. %
North Carolina A&T’s Rod Broadway had a base salary of $285,000. #
In Samford’s Pat Sullivan’s final season before Chris Hatcher took over, he had a base salary of $274,665 and a total package worth $438,196. *
North Dakota State’s Chris Klieman had a base salary of $261,177 with a total package worth 300,000. #%
Sam Houston State’s KC Keeler had a base salary of $250,000. %
Youngstown State’s Bo Pelini had a base salary of 213,894 in his first year this season. #
Cal Poly’s Tim Walsh had a base salary of $205,200. #
New Hampshire’s Sean McDonnell had a base salary of $200,000. #
Grambling State’s Broderick Fobbs had a base salary of $195,000. #
South Dakota State’s John Stiegelmeier had a base salary of $190,000. %
Jacksonville State’s John Grass received a base salary of $181,000 with a total package of $251,000. ^
Eastern Washington’s Beau Baldwin received a package worth $212,717. !
Central Arkansas’ Steve Campbell had a base salary of $185,000. #
Coastal Carolina’s Joe Moglia had a base salary of $175,000. #
Montana’s Bob Stitt had a base salary of $175,000 in 2015. %#
The Citadel’s Brent Thompson received a base salary of $175,000 in 2016. $
Samford’s Chris Hatcher had a base salary of $152,650 in his final season at Murray State in 2014. *#
Chattanooga’s Russ Huesman had a base salary of $150,000. #
North Dakota’s Kyle Schweigert had a base salary of $150,000. #

Charleston Southern’s Jamey Chadwell received a base salary of $120,542 and total package worth $139,670. *

Obviously, this is not an exhaustive list of all 125 FCS programs, but we concentrated our research on teams’ currently ranked in the FCS Top 25 polls and a few other top programs. All salaries are listed for the 2014-15 academic year, unless otherwise noted.

The average compensation package for the above listed FCS head coaches is $260,888.44. If you remove Gill’s numbers, the average drops to $240,503.96. Gill’s compensation would put him 87th amongst all Division I coaches, including the FBS, according to a recent USA Today study.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Bubba makes the unofficial top 25?

I heard Bubba get's about $175,000 for 2016.

Maybe cuz home playoff game incentive? guessing.

By going to Richmond, it's rumored that  former Chattanooga's Russ Huesman's salary went from $150,000 to $430,000.

This is a list of coaches whose team was ranked in the top 25 in FCS this year, not the top 25 salaries.  I would guess that Bubba's salary is in the bottom half (total of 125 teams) of FCS since the average for all of FCS is $260k+.   

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

This list of FCS coaches salaries has been floating around a few message boards: Richmond, Delaware, Chat

Do not know how accurate it is:

Turner Gill received a base salary of $658,492 and a total compensation package of $750,116 for the Liberty fiscal year ending June 30, 2015, according to tax documents retrieved online. Liberty’s 5th year head coach had the highest compensation package of any other FCS coach we researched. The full list of 24 other head coaches’ salaries we reviewed is listed below:.

Richmond’s Danny Rocco received a total package worth $437,672. *
Northern Iowa’s Mark Farley had a base salary of $350,000. %
Villanova’s Andy Talley received a base salary of $304,642 with a total package of $341,096. *
James Madison’s Mike Houston had a starting salary of $300,000 in his first year this season. #
Illinois State’s Brock Spack had a base salary of $300,000. %
North Carolina A&T’s Rod Broadway had a base salary of $285,000. #
In Samford’s Pat Sullivan’s final season before Chris Hatcher took over, he had a base salary of $274,665 and a total package worth $438,196. *
North Dakota State’s Chris Klieman had a base salary of $261,177 with a total package worth 300,000. #%
Sam Houston State’s KC Keeler had a base salary of $250,000. %
Youngstown State’s Bo Pelini had a base salary of 213,894 in his first year this season. #
Cal Poly’s Tim Walsh had a base salary of $205,200. #
New Hampshire’s Sean McDonnell had a base salary of $200,000. #
Grambling State’s Broderick Fobbs had a base salary of $195,000. #
South Dakota State’s John Stiegelmeier had a base salary of $190,000. %
Jacksonville State’s John Grass received a base salary of $181,000 with a total package of $251,000. ^
Eastern Washington’s Beau Baldwin received a package worth $212,717. !
Central Arkansas’ Steve Campbell had a base salary of $185,000. #
Coastal Carolina’s Joe Moglia had a base salary of $175,000. #
Montana’s Bob Stitt had a base salary of $175,000 in 2015. %#
The Citadel’s Brent Thompson received a base salary of $175,000 in 2016. $
Samford’s Chris Hatcher had a base salary of $152,650 in his final season at Murray State in 2014. *#
Chattanooga’s Russ Huesman had a base salary of $150,000. #
North Dakota’s Kyle Schweigert had a base salary of $150,000. #

Charleston Southern’s Jamey Chadwell received a base salary of $120,542 and total package worth $139,670. *

Obviously, this is not an exhaustive list of all 125 FCS programs, but we concentrated our research on teams’ currently ranked in the FCS Top 25 polls and a few other top programs. All salaries are listed for the 2014-15 academic year, unless otherwise noted.

The average compensation package for the above listed FCS head coaches is $260,888.44. If you remove Gill’s numbers, the average drops to $240,503.96. Gill’s compensation would put him 87th amongst all Division I coaches, including the FBS, according to a recent USA Today study.

Here's the link and full blog post to where that info came from:  http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2016/12/13/the-fcs-coaching-salary-market/

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dmksioux said:

This is a list of coaches whose team was ranked in the top 25 in FCS this year, not the top 25 salaries.  I would guess that Bubba's salary is in the bottom half (total of 125 teams) of FCS since the average for all of FCS is $260k+.   

My bad, thanks for the correction. 

10 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Bubba needs a raise, and the assistant coaches as well.

I agree fully, but considering we've had to drop some sports and are considering switching conferences to save money, I don't think a raise is anywhere to be seen in the near future.   Someone is going to pop up and say Bubba's loyal but I really fear that a couple more good years and we could lose him.   Sad to think about but there is no way we can afford to pay him what he's worth.

40 minutes ago, TRex said:

I agree fully, but considering we've had to drop some sports and are considering switching conferences to save money, I don't think a raise is anywhere to be seen in the near future.   Someone is going to pop up and say Bubba's loyal but I really fear that a couple more good years and we could lose him.   Sad to think about but there is no way we can afford to pay him what he's worth.

No we won't ever be able to pay him what he's worth, however give the coaches at least a little love (money)  Can't remember the numbers for sure so just use some easy round numbers, attendance is up at least 1,000 per game from 2-3 years ago.  Even at just $15/ticket that is 15k a game x 5 game is 75k a year in more brought in from ticket sales, and those numbers are pretty conservative.   I don't think it's about money for Bubba though, he's got his dream job and I think he will stay at UND until he is ready to retire.  Even if that is the case hopefully some monetary increase for him at some point will happen as he deserves it.  Probably more important is keeping a guy like Schmidt around.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, hky said:

So remind me why we still have too many sports at UND?  I thought the philosophy was going to be, let's fully fund sports and win championships. 

Agree 100% with this. Letting Bubba walk because he costs too much is not acceptable and should not even be discussed. We'll just end up where we were three years ago, with our team getting blown out at home and the visitor's section in The Al becoming a party zone. I don't want to go back to that. Do you?

Faison and Kennedy need to figure out how to keep coaches that meet and exceed their job expectations or we'll just keep treading water.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I'm just worried that when this ND Legislature meets next month, more cuts are coming. Somehow UND has to figure out how to pay Bubba more.

And NDSU will face the same problems with paying their coaches. Unless they have some big wad of cash saved someplace that I don't know about.