SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

22 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

That's where they lose respect with the majority

I don't have a problem with this statement.  Again, per nickname committee minutes, "it should be remembered that respect for and acceptance of the new nickname cannot be mandated, but rather needs to be earned".  I agree with F4S that this group represents the majority; those that don't accept and/or respect the FH name.  I don't have any stats to prove it.  Sorry Darrell.

29 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

I don't have a problem with this statement.  Again, per nickname committee minutes, "it should be remembered that respect for and acceptance of the new nickname cannot be mandated, but rather needs to be earned".  I agree with F4S that this group represents the majority; those that don't accept and/or respect the FH name.  I don't have any stats to prove it.  Sorry Darrell.

There are a small group of us that accepted the retirement of the old name 6 years ago because suing did nothing, the state law did nothing, the cooling off period did nothing to help with that loss. So moving on with a new name, logo, and now mascot helped with that grief. We will never forget the past, but because we accepted the new change, we get crusified on social media, in the REA (booing of the name), and on this board. It sucks for both fan bases that we can’t agree with the other side, no other school can possibly have this much division. I still wear my Sioux gear that will never change, that shouldn’t make me the bad guy. I wear Hawks gear and that shouldn’t make me the bad guy. We all cheer for UND and that should be the main point. Let’s put down people in Bison gear or Gophers gear, but not UND gear. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

There are a small group of us that accepted the retirement of the old name 6 years ago because suing did nothing, the state law did nothing, the cooling off period did nothing to help with that loss. So moving on with a new name, logo, and now mascot helped with that grief. We will never forget the past, but because we accepted the new change, we get crusified on social media, in the REA (booing of the name), and on this board. It sucks for both fan bases that we can’t agree with the other side, no other school can possibly have this much division. I still wear my Sioux gear that will never change, that shouldn’t make me the bad guy. I wear Hawks gear and that shouldn’t make me the bad guy. We all cheer for UND and that should be the main point. Let’s put down people in Bison gear or Gophers gear, but not UND gear. 

#powerful

• Upvote 1

I am OK with those that accepted the name and logo.  To get along with my relatives, we just agree to disagree.  That is the same here Darrell.  I will never say anything negative to those that wear FH gear in public or at UND games. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND1981 said:

I am OK with those that accepted the name and logo.  To get along with my relatives, we just agree to disagree.  That is the same here Darrell.  I will never say anything negative to those that wear FH gear in public or at UND games

This statement should go without saying.  Unfortunate that the culture among UND fans require the topic of being civil to one another is even being discussed.  Especially when we are talking about fans wearing merchandise of the official name and logo of the University of North Dakota.  

Just for kicks, I  decided to email Jody Hodgson regarding how the Fighting Hawks logo will be integrated in the new floor at the Betty and if there was a chance we would see it on the ice at the Ralph.  Here is what I emailed him: 

Hello Mr Hodgson,

I am curiuos as to how the Fighting Hawks logo will be integrated more at the Betty and at the Ralph.  With the interlocking ND logo retired and UND joining the Summit League, I am wondering if the Fighting Hawks logo will be at center court when the floor is redone this summer for the upcoming 2018-2019 athletic school year.  Also wondering if the Ralph is going to put the Fighting Hawks logo at center ice of the Ralph.  The Sioux logo as well as the interlocking ND logo both looked great at center ice.  But the "North Dakota" script just seems a little bland.  Especially for a world class arena like the Ralph.

I really hope to see the Fighting Hawks logo proudly displayed at the Betty and the Ralph at center court/ice this upcoming season.

And here was he response: 

Thanks for the note.

We continue to integrate the UND logo and brand in a number of different ways as we update the game presentation plan and facility during the off-season. You’ll see some new things in the Betty this year such as new artwork on team locker room doors, new LED scorer’s tables, new electronic designs on video boards and the new LED scorer’s tables, and new artwork on both the south and north walls of the venue. We’re also building in new game presentation elements in the Main Arena for the hockey games as well.  The new UND mascot is also going to be used next season at home events, so that will certainly be a visible new piece of Fighting Hawks branding.  

The North Dakota wordmark text will be used at both center court and center ice next season.

Thanks for your support and interest.

Sincerely, Jody

I have to say I am a little disappointed the "North Dakota" text will not only again be at center ice at the Ralph, but at center court at the Betty.  It is unfortunate, and pathetic if you ask me, that the Ralph continues to reject the Fighting Hawks logo at all costs.  They have an opportubnity to help UND promote the new logo but they choose not to do so.   

17 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Just for kicks, I  decided to email Jody Hodgson regarding how the Fighting Hawks logo will be integrated in the new floor at the Betty and if there was a chance we would see it on the ice at the Ralph.  Here is what I emailed him: 

Hello Mr Hodgson,

I am curiuos as to how the Fighting Hawks logo will be integrated more at the Betty and at the Ralph.  With the interlocking ND logo retired and UND joining the Summit League, I am wondering if the Fighting Hawks logo will be at center court when the floor is redone this summer for the upcoming 2018-2019 athletic school year.  Also wondering if the Ralph is going to put the Fighting Hawks logo at center ice of the Ralph.  The Sioux logo as well as the interlocking ND logo both looked great at center ice.  But the "North Dakota" script just seems a little bland.  Especially for a world class arena like the Ralph.

I really hope to see the Fighting Hawks logo proudly displayed at the Betty and the Ralph at center court/ice this upcoming season.

And here was he response: 

Thanks for the note.

We continue to integrate the UND logo and brand in a number of different ways as we update the game presentation plan and facility during the off-season. You’ll see some new things in the Betty this year such as new artwork on team locker room doors, new LED scorer’s tables, new electronic designs on video boards and the new LED scorer’s tables, and new artwork on both the south and north walls of the venue. We’re also building in new game presentation elements in the Main Arena for the hockey games as well.  The new UND mascot is also going to be used next season at home events, so that will certainly be a visible new piece of Fighting Hawks branding.  

The North Dakota wordmark text will be used at both center court and center ice next season.

Thanks for your support and interest.

Sincerely, Jody

I have to say I am a little disappointed the "North Dakota" text will not only again be at center ice at the Ralph, but at center court at the Betty.  It is unfortunate, and pathetic if you ask me, that the Ralph continues to reject the Fighting Hawks logo at all costs.  They have an opportubnity to help UND promote the new logo but they choose not to do so.   

He literally just gave you a list of all the ways the logo will be integrated further and yet this doesn't do it.... C'mon, give a little! Cripes! The new text is 100% a part of the new brand.

Maybe if you see everything as a step forward instead of demanding a leap, this will ease your mind a little.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He literally just gave you a list of all the ways the logo will be integrated further and yet this doesn't do it.... C'mon, give a little! Cripes! The new text is 100% a part of the new brand.

Maybe if you see everything as a step forward instead of demanding a leap, this will ease your mind a little.

It's not like I am making outrageous demands.  Jut our new logo prominently displayed where literally every other college in the country displays it.  In a time where UND is spending thousands of dollars on a re branding campaign, you would think that a great way to brand the new logo would be to display it at its 2 most attended venues.  Not sure who is calling the shots on this decision, but it is definitely not UND.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He literally just gave you a list of all the ways the logo will be integrated further and yet this doesn't do it.... C'mon, give a little! Cripes!

I'm not terribly upset about it, but where?  The logo was already in the video board electronic designs, on the walls of the Betty, and I believe on the Betty locker room doors.  The only actual addition appears to be the live mascot, which is being done by UND.

I think we can all have a good laugh at that "stencil wasn't available yet" excuse they used the other year.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

It's not like I am making outrageous demands.  Jut our new logo prominently displayed where literally every other college in the country displays it.  In a time where UND is spending thousands of dollars on a re branding campaign, you would think that a great way to brand the new logo would be to display it at its 2 most attended venues.  Not sure who is calling the shots on this decision, but it is definitely not UND.

The ND word mark is absolutely a part of the marketing brand. The logo, as he just said, will be placed many other places, this year. Again, take it as a step forward instead of such a travesty of justice.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm not terribly upset about it, but where?  The logo was already in the video board electronic designs, on the walls of the Betty, and I believe on the Betty locker room doors.  The only actual addition appears to be the live mascot, which is being done by UND.

I think we can all have a good laugh at that "stencil wasn't available yet" excuse they used the other year.

I have no idea if those logos were in those places last year, honestly. Your word/memory versus Hodgson's, I guess. I have no reason to disbelieve either of you haha.

If the list of what he provided was new adaptations and uses of the logo, I see that as a step forward. 

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I have no idea if those logos were in those places last year, honestly. Your word/memory versus Hodgson's, I guess. 

If the list of what he provided was new adaptations and uses of the logo, I see that as a step forward. 

He kind of danced around it by pointing out the "oh, shiny" new things coming to the Betty. 

New artwork on the locker room doors - Good, I'm sure they'll have the new hawk, but I'm pretty sure the doors already did have the hawk.

New LED scorers table - Good, this was needed.

New designs on the video boards and LED scorers table - Good, the old designs also had the Hawk, but I'm sure the new ones will too.  With the addition of an LED scorers table, they will be able to place the Hawk designs on the scorers table, so this is something.

New artwork on the venue walls - Good, but the Betty already had the Hawk logo on the walls.  I'm assuming the new artwork consists of replacing the Big Sky teams' logos with the Summit teams' logos.

New game presentations in the REA - Good, we'll see what they are.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

He kind of danced around it by pointing out the "oh, shiny" new things coming to the Betty. 

New artwork on the locker room doors - Good, I'm sure they'll have the new hawk, but I'm pretty sure the doors already did have the hawk.

New LED scorers table - Good, this was needed.

New designs on the video boards and LED scorers table - Good, the old designs also had the Hawk, but I'm sure the new ones will too.  With the addition of an LED scorers table, they will be able to place the Hawk designs on the scorers table, so this is something.

New artwork on the venue walls - Good, but the Betty already had the Hawk logo on the walls.  I'm assuming the new artwork consists of replacing the Big Sky teams' logos with the Summit teams' logos.

New game presentations in the REA - Good, we'll see what they are.

All of that is fair. Like I said, I see any addition to the process as a welcomed step forward and while some fans haven't gotten the ultimate prize of the center ice/court logo, it's moving along. I think seeing this progress is good and ignoring it and focusing on one piece is not going to improve anything at all.

21 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I'm sure the logo will make its way to center ice soon enough, I believe 2030 has been bandied about in a few other threads.

BTW .... How big is the hawk logo at midfield of the Alerus?....   or is it prominently painted in the end zone?....

maybe its not as big of a conspiracy as you'd like everyone to believe.

I replied back to his first email:

Thanks for your reply.  I really appreciate it.  I guess I am wondering why the logo will not be at center court and center ice next year.  We have a new logo.  It should be displayed prominently at our two most high profile venues.  Having a logo at midfield/court/ice/etc is something that literally every college program does.  Why is it that the Ralph chooses not to do so.  In my personal opinion, it is like REA Inc is ashamed of the new logo and is reluctant to display it.  The REA could help in a huge way to help people accept the Fighting Hawks name and logo by displaying it, but they choose not to do so.

I realize that this may not be your decision.  But I would like to know who makes this type of decision.  It is REA Inc?  Is it the Engelstad Foundation?  Maybe it is you!!  Just know that even that it may not seem like it, there are many UND fans out there that want the Ralph to be leading the way in the adoption of the Fighting Hawks name and logo.  When the Ralph shows they are ashamed to do that, it is disappointing to say the least.

Here was his response:

We plan to use the North Dakota wordmark in both locations (center ice and center court) because we believe there are still two very entrenched groups of fans, those who have more enthusiastically embraced the new name and symbol and those who have not yet enthusiastically embraced the new name and symbol. We seek to utilize artwork that we believe continues to be universally accepted by fans in both the of the prominent center ice and center court locations. Simply stated, we believe the name and symbol remains a polarizing issue and we don’t seek to alienate those in either camp mentioned above.  

The decision on this matter rests with Ralph Engelstad Arena, not the Engelstad Family Foundation. Those are two different entities. Ralph Engelstad Arena is governed by an independent and separate Board of Directors from the Engelstad Family Foundation. It is an arena decision and a local decision.

Ralph Engelstad Arena is not ashamed of the new name and symbol and we utilize the new name and symbol in a lot of different ways – and I should add an increasing number of ways. We utilize and will continue to utilize the new name and symbol in a lot of different ways. You are correct when you say that we are not leading the charge with regards to implementation of the new name and symbol. We try to balance out competing thoughts and competing interests as best we can. I realize that this isn’t fast enough for some and I understand that point of view.

We are proud of UND and proud to be a part of the UND campus community. We are certainly not ashamed, but we do have a different opinion from those who seek to have us lead the charge.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks, Jody

49 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

No. It’s pure chicken !@#$. Put the damn logo where it belongs.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

In my opinion, Hodgson's reply is embarrassing.  He talks about alienating a group of fans.  What is he worried about!?  Will that group stop going to games? 

They have an opportunity to be leaders in action, but like geaux_sioux noted above, it's pure chicken !@#$!

• Like 1