SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

How is this so difficult for you to understand?  you keep saying things not based in facts but fantasied reality of misappropriated opinions, This is not hard.

How does it look to new donors and new customers not to mention the new recruits. The email said all the coaches in the Betty want the logo on center court, so obviously their programs don’t matter? Hockey only wins again.

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The argument REA missed is the easiest one:

From REA's POV I'd have said ...

Dear President Kennedy, 

The new hawk logo is not fully recognized and identified with UND yet. In the interim we plan to leave the wordmark at the center of playing surfaces and continue use of the hawk around it until the two become synonymous. We will leave the wordmark at center ice and will put the hawk behind the nets for the coming season and make a decision after that. 

That’s like saying we would use the Hawk logo but don’t have the stencil yet. They are buying time until 2030. 

4 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Kennedys response should have been,

"that is reasonable and a good strategy to integrate acceptance. How do you feel we can further this synergy in the ice arena?  Your help in this process is greatly appreciated."

Or maybe "Hey, how bout you keep me and other leaders here at UND , you know your primary tenant who makes you all your money at the Ralph, in the loop in regards to big issues like this in the future.  Thanks."

22 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Center ice/court/field makes a different statement. It’s the most important graphic real estate for any sports venue. Their stance is clear and it only widens the gap between the fragmented fan base. Having it at center ice would do wonders.

Agree. It most likely would do "wonders".......but it would still look like ****! ;)

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

By more slowly integrating the logo, you avoid alienating the largest segment. There's something to the "band-aid" approach, but they aren't doing it. Oh well.

Bull Sh*t!! UND hasn’t been the Sioux in 6 years, but the REA doesn’t want to offend the fans holding on to that name so to appease them they go with the bland North Dakota on the ice. If they were going any slower they would be going backwards. How long in your opinion is the right time to go slow enough and start putting the logo on the center ice/court? 5 years, 20 years? 

8 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

How is this so difficult for you to understand?  you keep saying things not based in facts but fantasied reality of misappropriated opinions, This is not hard.

Funny how all we heard after the Sioux name was retired that donations were going to go down.  Yet they have gone up at record levels every year.  Same thing applies here.  If they put the logo at center ice/court, sure there would be people that wouldn't like it.  But would people be giving up their season tickets so they wouldn't have to look at the logo they despise?  Highly unlikely.  Eventually people would get used to it and, god forbid, maybe start to appreciate it and maybe pick up a shirt or hat at the Siouxshop after the game.  

II think the biggest fear of the Sioux Forever crowd is that their die hard/anti nickname base may be less and less as the years go by and that the majority of UND fans will embrace the Fighting Hawks name and logo.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Just now, darell1976 said:

Bull Sh*t!! UND hasn’t been the Sioux in 6 years, but the REA doesn’t want to offend the fans holding on to that name so to appease them they go with the bland North Dakota on the ice. If they were going any slower they would be going backwards. How long in your opinion is the right time to go slow enough and start putting the logo on the center ice/court? 5 years, 20 years? 

It's literally not BS, regardless of what you think. More people don't want the Hawk logo than do. You can believe differently, but it's nonsense to do so. I think the "right time" is arbitrary to the person, but you have no say in it, as much as you want it. REA is gonna do what REA wants to do. Not sure what else I can tell ya.

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Funny how all we heard after the Sioux name was retired that donations were going to go down.  Yet they have gone up at record levels every year.  Same thing applies here.  If they put the logo at center ice/court, sure there would be people that wouldn't like it.  But would people be giving up their season tickets so they wouldn't have to look at the logo they despise?  Highly unlikely.  Eventually people would get used to it and, god forbid, maybe start to appreciate it and maybe pick up a shirt or hat at the Siouxshop after the game.  

II think the biggest fear of the Sioux Forever crowd is that their die hard/anti nickname base may be less and less as the years go by and that the majority of UND fans will embrace the Fighting Hawks name and logo.

You make some very valid points but let's not get totally silly and carried away.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It's not like I am making outrageous demands.  Jut our new logo prominently displayed where literally every other college in the country displays it.  In a time where UND is spending thousands of dollars on a re branding campaign, you would think that a great way to brand the new logo would be to display it at its 2 most attended venues.  Not sure who is calling the shots on this decision, but it is definitely not UND.

The text and new script are the only salvageable part of the new logo and should be highlighted. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

STRAWMAN!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It's literally not BS, regardless of what you think. More people don't want the Hawk logo than do. You can believe differently, but it's nonsense to do so. I think the "right time" is arbitrary to the person, but you have no say in it, as much as you want it. REA is gonna do what REA wants to do. Not sure what else I can tell ya.

Even though the president of the school, the AD, 3 head coaches want the logo on it to help with the game atmosphere, recruiting, etc. it all doesn’t matter because the poor FSF snowflakes may get butthurt over a little Hawk invading their safespace. Pathetic!!

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

REA is fighting gravity on this one.
Every day that goes by is another day away from the old name and logo and another day with the new. 

Ask GF Central. 

Sadly, I do agree with this. However, I think the slow integration isn't a bad idea with how people think about all of this.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It's not like I am making outrageous demands.  Jut our new logo prominently displayed where literally every other college in the country displays it.  In a time where UND is spending thousands of dollars on a re branding campaign, you would think that a great way to brand the new logo would be to display it at its 2 most attended venues.  Not sure who is calling the shots on this decision, but it is definitely not UND.

It would be a better look if they used a scripted Hawks or Fighting Hawks at center court or center ice instead of the logo. The new wordmark text is a cool look. Both would be infinitely better than the Hawk logo which should be used in small versions at most. i.e. left chest or back tag size on a shirt or sweatshirt but never in a full front decoration. On Uniforms it could be on the shoulder or sleeve but would look terrible adorning the front of a jersey, again the name Hawks itself would be preferable to that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Even though the president of the school, the AD, 3 head coaches want the logo on it to help with the game atmosphere, recruiting, etc. it all doesn’t matter because the poor FSF snowflakes may get butthurt over a little Hawk invading their safespace. Pathetic!!

I find this very funny since you often get "butthurt" by the reciprocal. I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here, I promise. Just an observation.

Anyway, the prez, AD and 3 HCs don't represent the entire population of UND fans. So, there ya go.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Anyway, the prez, AD and 3 HCs don't represent the entire population of UND fans. So, there ya go.

Represent? No. But they definitely have a much better pulse on what is actually best for the University. Almost like it's their job or something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

REA is fighting gravity on this one.
Every day that goes by is another day away from the old name and logo and another day with the new. 

Ask GF Central. 

GF Central Knights was voted on 24 years ago. I was proud to be part of that process to name the school that will last forever. It sucked when they got rid of Redskins and I graduated as a Maroon and Grey because of the cooling off period, but now Knights is cemented into the hearts and minds of GF and people playing GFC. There are no Redskin Forever chants, no booing of the Knights name, just love and support of a school.

Maybe, the REA just thinks the new logo and more so the name are totally lame and bland and think that "North Dakota" is less lame and bland.  Golly, at some schools, all they use is the school "letter" logo and the school name and you have to dig deep to even figure out what their nickname is.  

I surely would have jumped onboard with a new nickname/logo a bit quicker if it had been something unique and cool.  As it is, I would rather just get UND stuff with maybe the scripted "fighting hawks" in real small print on it somewhere.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Represent? No. But they definitely have a much better pulse on what is actually best for the University. Almost like it's their job or something.

Fair, but tough comparison. One side... doing what's best for the collective (and yes, I agree that's what they are doing).... the other .... we don't like the logo and don't want it. The majority group is serving themselves, right or wrong. I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down, jdub. I'm just saying that the REA is simply trying to not alienate the largest group. 

4 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Maybe, the REA just thinks the new logo and more so the name are totally lame and bland and think that "North Dakota" is less lame and bland.  Golly, at some schools, all they use is the school "letter" logo and the school name and you have to dig deep to even figure out what their nickname is.  

I surely would have jumped onboard with a new nickname/logo a bit quicker if it had been something unique and cool.  As it is, I would rather just get UND stuff with maybe the scripted "fighting hawks" in real small print on it somewhere.  

Only Denver has words with no logo at center court in the SL, everyone else has a logo. South Dakota has both a logo with South Dakota around it. 

I can understand the REA's resistance to placing the logo at center ice, as it would piss off the Sioux Forever crowd (mostly hockey-only fans) and the coaches and players don't want it.  That Sioux Forever crowd is indeed quite large.  However, there's no excuse for not placing the logo at center court of the Betty.  They should also "slowly integrate" the logo into the REA by placing it behind the nets or on other less central parts of the ice, as others have suggested.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

I can understand the REA's resistance to placing the logo at center ice, as it would piss off the Sioux Forever crowd (mostly hockey-only fans) and the coaches and players don't want it.  That Sioux Forever crowd is indeed quite large.  However, there's no excuse for not placing the logo at center court of the Betty.  They should also "slowly integrate" the logo into the REA by placing it behind the nets or on other less central parts of the ice, as others have suggested.

Agreed to all!

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm just saying that the REA is simply trying to not alienate the largest group. 

By keeping the small Fighting Hawk group even smaller? They don’t want them as a fan base. Keeping the words North Dakota is like making the name, no nickname. So they are pleasing 2 groups the no nickname group and the Sioux Forever group which is all one big group.