SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On 9/8/2016 at 5:15 PM, Blackheart said:

For the three or four guys out here that like the 'NO' logo...Does it get old trying to polish this turd?

Not trying to polish anything.  Once you get beyond longing for the "good old days" of the Sioux logo and come to the realization that it is not coming back, you move on to respecting the traditions, cherishing the memories, and cheering for the University of North Dakota and its new identity.  If you replace the knee jerk rejection of anything that is not "Fighting Sioux" with an appreciative look at the new logo, you begin to see that SME did a remarkable design and produced a logo that you can be proud to display if for no other reason than IT IS the symbol for UND athletics and I will support UND and its athletics in any avatar they choose.  It is time to move ahead, because

On 9/11/2016 at 6:35 AM, Oxbow6 said:

............but the SME design is a "remarkable design" and completely unique as some have suggested. 

Didn't say anything about "unique" but for those who believe the old logos were "unique" look at and compare them to the Chicago Blackhawks logo, the Washington Redskins logo, the Florida State logo, the retired Dartmouth logo, the Eastern Michigan Hurons logo, the AHL Springfield logo (which ahas an alternate 'geometric' design, and the interlocking ND of Notre Dame which has the 'N' behind the 'D' on the right instead of the left.  Unique may be in the eye of the beholder.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

Not sure what people were expecting for a logo when a non original name was chosen.  Unfortunately SME wasn't given alot to work with in regards to originality. If they would have came out with a generic bird that looks like the other bird logos out there, only difference being ours would be green, white, and black, would that have been better?  

SME developed a logo that is very unique in regards to college logos.  I can't think of any logo in college (or other sports team for that matter) that integrates the letters of the state with the name of the team the way they did it with the Fighting Hawks.  Given what they had to work with for a name, they really did a pretty good job.  I am glad we didn't just get another generic bird logo.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

THIS.  I blame everyone that voted for fighting hawks.

.........but........but those that voted for it were tricked into thinking they were going to get that Blackhawks looking bird logo at was floating around the internet. Right?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

.........but........but those that voted for it were tricked into thinking they were going to get that Blackhawks looking bird logo at was floating around internet. Right?

Ahh didn't think of that...  Headdresses on birds are perfectly normal.  SME is just stupid.

8 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

The vote might have been different if the last 3 standing options were Fighting Hawks, Fighting RR and Fighting Nodaks.  I believe keeping Fighting in the name was an advantage for FH. 

So we basically settled this process based on an adjective?  Unfortunately I believe it was an advantage for FH with many voting. 

16 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

Oh, ABSOLUTELY!!  I saw and interview with a female UND student on WDAZ after the announcement, and she admitted that she "like, voted for, like, Fighting like, Hawks, because, like, it had like, Fighting like, in, like the name, and stuff."

I believe she was one that was polled and thought Judge Judy serves on the Supreme Court too.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Northcountry said:

Not trying to polish anything.  Once you get beyond longing for the "good old days" of the Sioux logo and come to the realization that it is not coming back, you move on to respecting the traditions, cherishing the memories, and cheering for the University of North Dakota and its new identity.  If you replace the knee jerk rejection of anything that is not "Fighting Sioux" with an appreciative look at the new logo, you begin to see that SME did a remarkable design and produced a logo that you can be proud to display if for no other reason than IT IS the symbol for UND athletics and I will support UND and its athletics in any avatar they choose.  It is time to move ahead, because

Didn't say anything about "unique" but for those who believe the old logos were "unique" look at and compare them to the Chicago Blackhawks logo, the Washington Redskins logo, the Florida State logo, the retired Dartmouth logo, the Eastern Michigan Hurons logo, the AHL Springfield logo (which ahas an alternate 'geometric' design, and the interlocking ND of Notre Dame which has the 'N' behind the 'D' on the right instead of the left.  Unique may be in the eye of the beholder.

Yes, actually it did if you go back and look at the criteria used by the committee to select the name and what stakeholders (other than Ed, of course) told SME what they wanted for a symbol. Of the criteria used to select the name they certainly missed the mark with being unique, and likelihood of name being abridged resulting in different name or name similar to existing name. As one other “Hawks” institution put it, “welcome to the hawk family”. Even another college in the state was concerned that people could become confused with their nickname, the Blue Hawks. Seems that the Blue Hawks and Fighting Hawks have already been shortened to just “Hawks” justifying their concerns. It’s early, but the nickname being a unifying and rallying symbol don’t seem to have been met as well. Just because the old name and symbol aren’t coming back means I have to like the new one. Why are you trying to force people to like it??

Here’s what some UND students are doing with their “free” shirts and propaganda that is being spread all over campus this fall. You can't turn around without seeing ed's logo. Brainwashing in full force. It's crazy!

5 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Unfortunately for the students they are not the majority and never will be.  

.....but.....but I remember reading on this site it was the students that were the deciding voting block that pushed FH to the victory?  Majority........you are correct they are not but this vote was really never won on a majority.

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

.....but.....but I remember reading on this site it was the students that were the deciding voting block that pushed FH to the victory?  Majority........you are correct they are not but this vote was really never won on a majority.

How did anybody know that for a fact?  Not arguing just wondering if there was a way to prove it true.