SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 football uniforms

77iceman

. . . add identical socks, jersey and helmet and I'd call it a "throw back".

Saying the gray is valid because it's in the brand guideline is great.  Not arguing that at all.  But i guess a throw back uniform must mean something different to me than to everyone else.

who cares ... we now have some gray uniforms that look cool. Whether they are throwback or not is irrelevant. If incoming players like them .... good. If some fans want to consider them nostalgic ... good. Doesn't matter. Just win on the field!

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

. . . add identical socks, jersey and helmet and I'd call it a "throw back".

Saying the gray is valid because it's in the brand guideline is great.  Not arguing that at all.  But i guess a throw back uniform must mean something different to me than to everyone else.

The green jersey says North Dakota on it and is green so that's good enough for me. I'd love a matte silver helmet to go with it. Now that would look great and make it more of a throw back but a modern twist.

20 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The green jersey says North Dakota on it and is green so that's good enough for me. I'd love a matte silver helmet to go with it. Now that would look great and make it more of a throw back but a modern twist.

Wouldn't matte silver just be gray?

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Depends on how matte. Too much and yea it's just grey. Oregon did a nice one once.

image.jpg

doesn't this look a awful lot like a headdress? do you think if we tried to use a wing like this we would get a letter from the NCAA?

6 hours ago, 77iceman said:

Claiming that the gray is "throwback" seems to be a bit of a stretch.  Let's be honest . . . other teams are doing gray uniforms and it's the trend, that's why UND has jumped on the gray uniform bandwagon.  (not diss'ing it, just calling it)

I disagree. Bubba has fond memories of some of the 70s teams that donned gray helmets and pants. I definitely think this move is more geared towards a throwback look than it is to be contemporary. After all, Bubba is real old school when it comes to uniforms. 

1 minute ago, 77iceman said:

agree to disagree, i guess.  Now if they take the field with gray pants, green jerseys, and the gray helmet with the interlocking ND on it . . . I'll call that a "throwback UNIFORM" for sure!

While I understand that they are losing the interlocking logo, so they can get everyone onboard with the new logo (even though I'm not a fan of that approach), I do hope that eventually they bring back the ND logo, even if it just for a throwback uniform once a year. I understand the branding concerns and confusion with Notre Dame, but its still a cool logo, we did have it for a very long time, and it looks great on football helmets.

• Upvote 2

Obviously a little late for this discussion, but it is unfortunate that SME didn't take the existing interlocking ND logo and modify it by adding a hawk to it.  Would have been a great way to link the past to the future.  This type of logo is certainly not something new.  We have all seen them before.

letterlogos.jpg

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Obviously a little late for this discussion, but it is unfortunate that SME didn't take the existing interlocking ND logo and modify it by adding a hawk to it.  Would have been a great way to link the past to the future.  This type of logo is certainly not something new.  We have all seen them before.

letterlogos.jpg

Unfortunately the interlocking nd was not uniquely ours even though we had it first by a wide margin.  That didn't meet the guidelines for the rebranding.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Having logos on both sides doesn't look that bad.  Sure, the hawk is facing backwards.  But it's not horrible.  is it?  I'm cool with the logo on 1 side.  As long as they do numbers on the other.  

both.jpg

Looking at these just reaffirms to me that we should use the number on one side of the helmet. No because the logo looks bad, it actually looks fairly sharp on the helmets; but it does bother me to see the bird facing the back of the helmet. probably just my OCD. :)

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2016 at 5:10 PM, geaux_sioux said:

Depends on how matte. Too much and yea it's just grey. Oregon did a nice one once.

image.jpg

Even if it was almost a straight copy, I always thought those would have been awesome as Sioux football helmets....fortunately with it still might one day be a reality.

9 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Had the same thought.

Still unfortunate UND (not university of Notre Dame) had to lose a long standing identity just because it adapted a new nickname.

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Don't get the "backward facing" argument....wouldn't every sports logo on a helmet be backward facing, sans, symmetrical ones.

No because most logos can be inverted.  Because UND uses the letters 'ND,' it can't be inverted.