SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 football uniforms

77iceman

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

So why is it that Michigan, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, etc. couldn't dump Adidas fast enough?

$169,000,000 / $96,000,000 / $90,000,000. For some reason the perception is that Adidas is second tier. That's not even close to true. 

http://campusinsiders.com/news/richest-apparel-contracts-college-sports-10-22-2015

UCLA switched over to UA for $280,000,000.  Looking at that list Adidas is right up there. My personal pick would be UA but in reality you can't go wrong with Adidas, UA, or Nike. In terms of football UA makes the best gloves, Adidas makes the best shoes, and Nike has the swoosh. The uniforms are a wash these days in terms of quality.

13 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Grey helmet, grey jersey, grey pants?  Just say "no" to monochrome, whether it's blue-blue-blue, ketchup packets, unitard black, or grey.  NO!

Green helmet with grey and grey would look pretty nice. Old school grey helmet white jersey grey pants would be interesting. Green grey green? Maybe. Grey green grey? 

If you look at the pic of the uni combos you can notice the grey pants have a green and white stripe down the side. I wish they would have done that with the white and greens. They will looks great. Now we just need to have our PR people pull their heads out of their asses because Clive was wearing Nike socks in the picture.....

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Green helmet with grey and grey would look pretty nice. Old school grey helmet white jersey grey pants would be interesting. Green grey green? Maybe. Grey green grey? 

As I mentioned earlier, grey helmet, green jersey, and grey pants would look the sharpest in my opinion. 

33 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If you look at the pic of the uni combos you can notice the grey pants have a green and white stripe down the side. I wish they would have done that with the white and greens. They will looks great. Now we just need to have our PR people pull their heads out of their asses because Clive was wearing Nike socks in the picture.....

Lots of jersey combinations there!!  Might as well ad a white helmet to the mix too!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

$169,000,000 / $96,000,000 / $90,000,000. For some reason the perception is that Adidas is second tier. That's not even close to true. 

http://campusinsiders.com/news/richest-apparel-contracts-college-sports-10-22-2015

UCLA switched over to UA for $280,000,000.  Looking at that list Adidas is right up there. My personal pick would be UA but in reality you can't go wrong with Adidas, UA, or Nike. In terms of football UA makes the best gloves, Adidas makes the best shoes, and Nike has the swoosh. The uniforms are a wash these days in terms of quality.

As someone who is a die hard Michigan football fan I can tell you it's widely known that Michigan left millions on the table to get away from Adidas.  They've had issues such as the student body/athletes not wanting Adidas, Adidas screwing up their school colors, and uniforms literally falling apart during games.

"According to ESPN's Darren Rovell, Nike was actually the lowest bidder for the rights to be U'M's official outfitters."

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/07/nike_michigan_1.html

Whether people want to admit it or not Adidas has a MAJOR perception problem in the States.  Nike is far and away the most popular provider followed by UA.  Adidas is in a distant third.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-adidas-aims-to-get-its-cool-back-1427072066

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewUNDAlum said:

As someone who is a die hard Michigan football fan I can tell you it's widely known that Michigan left millions on the table to get away from Adidas.  They've had issues such as the student body/athletes not wanting Adidas, Adidas screwing up their school colors, and uniforms literally falling apart during games.

"According to ESPN's Darren Rovell, Nike was actually the lowest bidder for the rights to be U'M's official outfitters."

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/07/nike_michigan_1.html

Whether people want to admit it or not Adidas has a MAJOR perception problem in the States.  Nike is far and away the most popular provider followed by UA.  Adidas is in a distant third.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-adidas-aims-to-get-its-cool-back-1427072066

Im firmly of the opinion that any apparel deal is better than no deal at all. I'm thankful UND is at least consistent now in wearing Adidas gear. 

45 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

WRONG in regards to Michigan.  The Wolverines walked away from a TON of Adidas cash.

Maybe technically but Nike still gave them the richest athletic deal in college sports (at the time). Supposedly adidas offer was reportedly worth more, but as far as I can tell there was never any public release of what the differences were in value and actual cash, not to mention other stipulations. Michigan has also historically been a Nike school until Nike refused to match adidas offer in 2008 that was again, at the time, the largest one in college athletics (publicly known) and there had been people pushing to go back to Nike as soon as they switched. So they moved to adidas because of money and guessing they didn't leave a ton on the table going back to Nike.

1 hour ago, Old School Guy said:

Adidas is simply not on par with Nike but they support college football and probably charge less to do so. Therefore, it balances out. They do need to improve the quality of football cleats IMO. 

I can't really disagree with you more here. UND had Nike shoes when I play and we constantly had shoes where the cleats would tear off. Most people looked past that because of the almighty swoosh of course. We had a guy go through 3 pairs of nikes before buying his own pair of adidas cleats that could stay together. Cleats are not Adidas' problem. It's mostly a perception thing due to missing out on MJ and LeBron.

1 hour ago, dakotadan said:

I didn't realize that gray was now a school color. 

You didn't get the memo - grey (or gray) is now EVERY school's color.  Just ask Oklahoma State...or Kansas...or Eastern Michigan...or Baylor...or West Virginia...or UCLA...or Washington State...or...

5 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

So why is it that Michigan, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, etc. couldn't dump Adidas fast enough?

I dont know about the other two, but ND follows the money.  They have the easiest uniforms to make in football.  Navy blue.  Gold pants.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.  Now that I think about it, same goes for those other two....nice simple uniforms. 

5 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I dont know about the other two, but ND follows the money.  They have the easiest uniforms to make in football.  Navy blue.  Gold pants.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.  Now that I think about it, same goes for those other two....nice simple uniforms. 

adidas had issues getting Michigan's maize right.