SiouxSports.com Forum

New Logo on Helmets

UND-FB-FAN

15 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

No bird had feathers that come from one spot at different angles like that. It's clearly a head dress. Feather are on birds but that is a bird with at the very least some type of feather ear ring.

Had we never had the Brien logo, and this mockup was made, nobody would give it a second look. I think it is a pretty unique look for a hawk logo. Regardless, I think UND needs some variation of that type of logo. I personally like that 'head dress/feathers" because it gives a flavor of the former logo that everyone loved, while still being completely a hawk logo. Want to get more people to buy into the new name? I think something like that would help.

Getting rid of the name and logo was bad. The new nickname process was painful. Phasing out the ND is pointless. The new logo works, but more is needed.

UND seems to be focusing on purging everthing historical about the program from the name to the logos. Not sure what the intent was on the ND, but I think fans would like to have something to hold on to. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 3

The intent of this whole thing was to erase the Sioux name and imagery from the school's current identity.  Too keep the Sioux name would have taken the right people to speak up and the right time . . . and that just didn't happen.  And here's where I'll get the most kick back.  I'm glad the new logo has no ties to the Sioux imagery.  In fact, if this is all about the Sioux name being offensive, let's be consistent and take it off of all of the rivers, lakes, streets, cities, etc . . . if it's so truly offensive to people, why is it used ANYWHERE anymore?  Same with FIghting Irish, Seminoles, Vikings, Bucaneers, Raiders . . . anything that is derived from a certain group of people should be deemed offensive then, too, right?

If people are going to be this stupid about being PC, then bury it!  I'm not going to be one of the guys still yelling "Go Sioux".  In fact, I'm to the point that I just don't miss it at alll.

I certainly don't blame the University.  I doubt this helped their image, their heritage, or their finances.

And getting rid of the interlocked ND was a way of forcing the new logo onto ALL of the teams.  There's no other option anymore.  Like I said before, "well played UND, well played."

GO HAWKS!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

UND seems to be focusing on purging everthing historical about the program from the name to the logos. Not sure what the intent was on the ND, but I think fans would like to have something to hold on to. Just my opinion.

My guess is the want/need to create an identity that isn't constantly confused with Notre Dame. I am surprised and a little disappointed that they are phasing out the interlocking ND but I've also heard how frustrating the identity confusion is for the athletes and athletic department.

7 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

None of this matters, really . . . but I still don't think the logo is as far off as everyone thinks.  I just added a little

shape and form with some black and made the D more D'like.  And I'll add that the only reason I'm doing this is because I actually do like the new logo, if the logo were for a bank or real estate agency.

(and in no way shape or form is this actually going to get anywhere, i'm just having some fun on the inter web)

ND v.2.png

I really really like the details you've added. Slap that on the helmets and uniforms and eventually people will get use to it, especially if the teams wearing it are winning.

Go UND!

28 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

ND v.2.png

The bolder lines are a very good addition.  Would be nice if UND made similar alterations (I also wouldn't mind seeing the top left corner of the "N" be more in line with the bottom right corner of the "N")

1 hour ago, 77iceman said:

The intent of this whole thing was to erase the Sioux name and imagery from the school's current identity.  Too keep the Sioux name would have taken the right people to speak up and the right time . . . and that just didn't happen.  And here's where I'll get the most kick back.  I'm glad the new logo has no ties to the Sioux imagery.  In fact, if this is all about the Sioux name being offensive, let's be consistent and take it off of all of the rivers, lakes, streets, cities, etc . . . if it's so truly offensive to people, why is it used ANYWHERE anymore?  Same with FIghting Irish, Seminoles, Vikings, Bucaneers, Raiders . . . anything that is derived from a certain group of people should be deemed offensive then, too, right?

If people are going to be this stupid about being PC, then bury it!  I'm not going to be one of the guys still yelling "Go Sioux".  In fact, I'm to the point that I just don't miss it at alll.

I certainly don't blame the University.  I doubt this helped their image, their heritage, or their finances.

And getting rid of the interlocked ND was a way of forcing the new logo onto ALL of the teams.  There's no other option anymore.  Like I said before, "well played UND, well played."

GO HAWKS!!

Agreed whole heartily on your first paragraph. 

I might add that the NCAA picked on the small guy (und) because it showed the PC police they are on top of the "issues" involving race religion, etc..... but cowardly will not touch the florida st's of the world since they are the $$$$$$ makers.  Plain and simple, the NCAA was able to pat their shoulder making und the lab rat.  And because of that, like it or not, we are now left with what we have. The painfully long drawn out process has callused me to the point that I'm glad it is done.   Do I like the new logo and name, HELL NO!!  Not necessarily because it is god awful but because a couple of gray haired pencil pushers forced Unds hand to rid the university or their "torn, racist"  no good logo and name!??  

I have cautiously accepted the new ideas only because it has been a painful ride and I want it to end!!  I'm at the age that I grew up as a sioux fan and they will forever  be the sioux to me.  I will not be negative out loud or boo the name as the young men and women deserve better.  Und succumbed to the NCAA but that does not mean I need to.   

Also, und is making a massive mistake by ridding the interlock!!   That has nothing to do with the NCAA, that is all und!   Huge huge mistake and just another stain in this process.    

With whatever they have on the helmets,  Bubba and co have me as excited about und football as I have been in 8 years. 

The interlocking ND disappearing is probably UND's way of making the new logo valid.  It's harsh way of doing so, but I see where they are coming from.  I see it as a way to get ALL teams to use the new logo with no other option.  Honestly, I think Notre Dame every time I see the interlocking ND.  I liked it, but it always felt like a "me too" image.

Bubba is the man.

Side note (I wish UND could have just used the Atlanta Falcons identity with black and green) . . . I've always like that logo.

Will would approve :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 77iceman said:

None of this matters, really . . . but I still don't think the logo is as far off as everyone thinks.  I just added a little

shape and form with some black and made the D more D'like.  And I'll add that the only reason I'm doing this is because I actually do like the new logo, if the logo were for a bank or real estate agency.

(and in no way shape or form is this actually going to get anywhere, i'm just having some fun on the inter web)

ND v.2.png

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I really really like the details you've added. Slap that on the helmets and uniforms and eventually people will get use to it, especially if the teams wearing it are winning.

Go UND!

Agreed, this is a nice improvement.

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

The bolder lines are a very good addition.  Would be nice if UND made similar alterations (I also wouldn't mind seeing the top left corner of the "N" be more in line with the bottom right corner of the "N")

Looks a little Dallas Stars-ish/an 80s futuristic look but at least I can pigeonhole it. (I mean, its an improvement, at least).

would black lines near the top of each feather, converging toward the head be too much?

4 hours ago, 77iceman said:

GO HAWKS!!

This is unbelievable:

https://twitter.com/jackrweinstein/status/745668126927261697

The abject smarminess of his delivery alone ought to get his behind bounced from the university.  If he truly believes that the "Fighting Sioux" name was racist, he is so delusional that it's hard to believe he can get two steps out of his front door without curling up into the fetal position.  How does he square his insular world model with the very real existence of people like Eunice Davidson - for which there is strong evidence that her line of thinking is much closer to the position of a significant majority of Sioux members than his own?

• Upvote 2

On 6/23/2016 at 10:32 AM, The Sicatoka said:

What'd he have to pick from? :0

On 6/23/2016 at 10:44 AM, geaux_sioux said:

Schafer would not have picked this nickname and the logo would then have been very different.

Of course we don't know what he had to choose from.  But we do know that it was important to him to have a logo picked out before his interim pres was up. Also, we know that UND graphic design student and others publicly released ideas equal to or better to this logo.  Regardless, Ed picked this.

7 hours ago, 77iceman said:

The interlocking ND disappearing is probably UND's way of making the new logo valid.  It's harsh way of doing so, but I see where they are coming from.  I see it as a way to get ALL teams to use the new logo with no other option.  Honestly, I think Notre Dame every time I see the interlocking ND.  I liked it, but it always felt like a "me too" image.

Bubba is the man.

Side note (I wish UND could have just used the Atlanta Falcons identity with black and green) . . . I've always like that logo.

Will would approve :)

The interlock is only a representation of 2 schools as where a hawk/ eagle is representing 1000s.  Very generic and boring as far as I'm concerned. Oh well, it is what it is.  

In reality I could card less about logos, jerseys, colors or whatever else just as long as und football is producing on the field. At this point they could have a logo of a construction cone or a jelly bean  and my support for them would never waver.  I (my mouth) would still be a pain in the ass to the opposition that comes to the alerus.  Logos don't win you games. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NDRPinLV said:

Of course we don't know what he had to choose from.  But we do know that it was important to him to have a logo picked out before his interim pres was up. Also, we know that UND graphic design student and others publicly released ideas equal to or better to this logo. Regardless, Ed picked this.

50510290.jpg

• Upvote 4

"(and in no way shape or form is this actually going to get anywhere, i'm just having some fun on the inter web)"

Quoting myself :)    I really think that once the current version of the logo gets used, some tweaks will occur.  Most logos evolve a bit . . . over the years.

Again, I like the general dynamic and imagery of the SME original logo . . . I (my opinion) just felt that it lacked the "sport" look.  I was just having some fun and developing it further as the comments on here were suggesting.  It's basically the same logo here, I just added some more frosting.

Even just a black outline to the logo that they have now makes a huge difference in the boldness of it.

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Email this to Schafer 

I agree.   Send this to him.   It is a major improvement. Much more defined.  The original was very bland,  the changes make it much more interesting.  

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Irish said:

Isn't it clear that Schafer was paid big bucks to be the ass that settled this issue and doesn't personally give a crap if the logo is good or not.  He is the least likely person in the state to take feedback. 

OK.  Then send it to someone else who does care and who could take suggestions to improve the current logo.  Doubt anything will be done anytime soon but at least it appears there are options to improve the current logo. 

• Upvote 1

When other schools issue revised logos, there is normally many varieties to choose with the logo dispersed along the University's abbreviation, or the logo by itself, or with different major color, or with the state outline etc.  A logo used on a helmet or hat generally won't work for a jersey or tshirt, so alternatives of the same logo are made availiable to maximize the sales and revenue potential.  NDSU, SDSU, USD, UM, etc all have a number of different logo combinations to put on their uniforms and items for sale.

That is a major problem with the logo, as it is the only current choice.  The New York firm should know better.  It's for all practical purposes fireable offense that UND didn't pursue.

• Upvote 1