SiouxSports.com Forum

New Logo on Helmets

UND-FB-FAN

I'll need to see it before I comment too much. I am cool with putting a new logo on the helmets, but I'm really not impressed with this particular logo. Some of the concept art that has come out in the past several months all seemed better than this. I'll be interested to see how the new logo looks on the helmets, but I am beyond disappointed that the school is phasing out the interlocking ND logo that has been a part of the school for long. The only possible reason for this is to give fans nothing historical to hold on to, to try to force people into fully accepting the new logo.

IMO, they are going about this all the wrong way. Force people, and you actually piss people off. Pick the right name and the right logo, and you will get more (not all) to buy in.

I would never full buy into the name and logo (I admit I have a tough time, particularly with hockey), but I have been fairly open with football and basketball. Hawks was one of my least favorite choices, but even so, had they chose the right logo they could have got many more people to buy in. Unfortunately, they did not.

Any alternative logo, will be ESSENTIAL at some point (SOON).

This is what happens when you let the public decide things that involve design and branding. Leave it to the pros. It's too bad Schafer wasn't here the whole time because the process to pick a name would have made sense and I would assume our nickname would have been better than Foghting hawks. O well... Time to make the best of what we have. I'm just glad we have Bubba leading the way.

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is what happens when you let the public decide things that involve design and branding. Leave it to the pros. It's too bad Schafer wasn't here the whole time because the process to pick a name would have made sense and I would assume our nickname would have been better than Foghting hawks. O well... Time to make the best of what we have. I'm just glad we have Bubba leading the way.

Agreed, I think Schaeffer would have handled it much better; but I've never like Kelly. Hawks it is, but the logo they provided is just pathetic. I can accept the name (at least for football and basketball; it'll always be Sioux Hockey to me), but they need to at least put a better or alternative logo out there. This would be ok, if it wasn't the only one, but they definitely need an alternative. I really just don't see this being a great "helmet" logo. Like I said, some of the concept art I've seen has been much better than this.

I'm sure it will improve with additional logos and changes over time.

7 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed, I think Schaeffer would have handled it much better; but I've never like Kelly. Hawks it is, but the logo they provided is just pathetic. I can accept the name (at least for football and basketball; it'll always be Sioux Hockey to me), but they need to at least put a better or alternative logo out there. This would be ok, if it wasn't the only one, but they definitely need an alternative. I really just don't see this being a great "helmet" logo. Like I said, some of the concept art I've seen has been much better than this.

This new logo would make a nice secondary logo in the future. We can do better but could have done much much worse. Like a lot worse.

18 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This new logo would make a nice secondary logo in the future. We can do better but could have done much much worse. Like a lot worse.

Agree with all of this. The current logo isn't horrible if it's considered under the context of a secondary logo. But as a primary logo, there certainly are some deficiencies. I'll embrace it, but I sure would like to see some color alternatives for this (it's going to be on a kelly green helmet, so revealed color scheme won't work) and, eventually, a primary logo developed that features just the hawk with more detail. 

28 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is what happens when you let the public decide things that involve design and branding. Leave it to the pros. It's too bad Schafer wasn't here the whole time ...

... because his father Herald did just fine setting an image and a branding for his western ND venture. (This is where Siouxphan27 breaks out in hives.) 

13 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Bubba disclosed at the release that the new logo will be on the helmets starting this season. It should add nice color to the matte grey alternate helmets. I like it for the helmets.

Go UND!

Not sure how that will look, but I guess we'll see. The only place so far where I can see this logo really looking good is on the Airplanes.

1 minute ago, 77iceman said:

ND v.2.png

I just think the current version lacks some depth that most are used to seeing in a sports logo.

Some black accents take it up a notch and help define the shapes.  Bold instead of subtle.

Better

13 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

... because his father Herald did just fine setting an image and a branding for his western ND venture. (This is where Siouxphan27 breaks out in hives.) 

Your avatar looks like a seagull :lol:

Couldn't help myself.

I would still like to see how UND plans to utilize it on the helmet.  With the current logo, as is, it will not work very well as the hawk will be facing a different direction on one side, or the ND would have to be backwards.  If it needs to be on the helmet, then I like the idea of a logo on one side and the players number on the other side.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dmksioux said:

I would still like to see how UND plans to utilize it on the helmet.  With the current logo, as is, it will not work very well as the hawk will be facing a different direction on one side, or the ND would have to be backwards.  If it needs to be on the helmet, then I like the idea of a logo on one side and the players number on the other side.

someone mentioned logo on one side, player number on other side...

Just now, 90siouxfan said:

someone mentioned logo on one side, player number on other side...

Yup...which I also mentioned in my post above. :)

3 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

Toronto blue jays

i guess . . . if their logo was green, had the letters ND in the background, looked like a hawk, and faced the other direction they would be pretty much identical ;)

i was just trying to get across that with some bold accents and little more definition to the space it looks more like a sports logo.

15 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

According to the information released by UND, Schafer picked this logo.  Not great.

3 hours ago, 77iceman said:

ND v.2.png

I just think the current version lacks some depth that most are used to seeing in a sports logo.

Some black accents take it up a notch and help define the shapes.  Bold instead of subtle.

Its better but its difficult to distinguish the letters as N D.