SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

7 hours ago, darell1976 said:

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4215212-ndsu-believes-reduction-state-funding-will-not-adversely-affect-athletics

In other words, no sports will be cut.

"That's off the table, 100 percent," said athletic director Matt Larsen.

Also off the table is any cut to the student-athlete experience, Larsen said. That would mean no reduction in scholarships and each sport maintaining the necessary resources to win a championship.

I don't get the negative spin of UND looking to cut sports.  Anyone looking at our athletic dept. should be able to realize we sponsor way to many sports programs.  The reason NDSU isn't looking to cut teams is because they can't cut any teams if they want to continue to offer the glimmer of hope of an FBS move.  Talk about setting the ball on the tee for Larsen to hit out of the park and get a good quote in the paper.  Wouldn't expect anything less from the Forum.  Kolpack never bothers to take the knee pads off.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I have no clue where Caillou gets his numbers (but I know where he got his education!!). Per USA Today, in 2015, NDSU got $6.6 million from direct institutional support out of their $22.3 million budget (29.4%). UND got $7.3 million of direct institutional support out of their $24.3 million budget (30.2%). So pretty close on that front. This doesn't include student fees, which UND relies heavier on and was approved by UND students in a vote. NDSU students rejected NDSU's athletic department to raise theirs last year, mostly due to how bad they botched their presentations. Because travel and equipment and stuff...

Using 2015 numbers (most recent available) and rough calculations, if the state funding is going to be cut around 20%, that means that UND and NDSU will have to come up with ways to shore up around $1.46 million and $1.32 million respectively for the athletic departments to take on their fair share of budget reductions. UND is doing what it needs to do and looking at cutting sports, mainly because they sponsor too many for their size at the D-1 level and can't possibly make them all competitive (and finally doing what they should have done a decade ago). NDSU obviously can't cut any sports if it wants to keep any hope at all for a move up or (at least the illusion of one) since the FBS requires 16, which NDSU currently sponsors, while FCS requires 14. NDSU's fundraising is up around $300K, which, assuming no other rising costs, still leaves around $1 million of what they hypothetically need, but that doesn't include any funding any of the FCOA. Maybe the Teammakers donations don't account for those funds but reading their releases, I have a hard time seeing how they wouldn't. Per the Forum article, apparently their budget for this year is slated to be less than it was in 2015, so it is possible they had done some reductions already to cover some of it but somehow the rest of the plan seems to be not hiring two positions that previously didn't even exist and that is going to bridge the shortfall. I am really confused on where the Forum got their data from, which actually make UND look better than they are. But looking at what is publicly available and seems to be more accurate, I guess I'm not following the numbers and have no clue how they make any sense but I'm sure now that the Forum did their "duty" and said there won't be any issues, it won't be brought up or questioned again.

You're including tuition dollars, Kolpack's number is what is directly appropriated from the state.  From what I understand, each university has flexibility in where they can appropriate their tuition dollars.

7 hours ago, bison73 said:

Obviously. But that seems to be the focus of a few.

So where is the cuts going to come from? Eliminating two job positions isn't going to be enough.  

One funding stream the athletic department will not touch is an increase in student fees. In January of 2016, it proposed a hike of $100 per student over three years to help fund travel, equipment and supplies. It was rejected by the NDSU Student Finance Advisory Board.

2 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

So where is the cuts going to come from? Eliminating two job positions isn't going to be enough.  

Who says they will need to cut anything? Their not nearly as bloated as UND. Maybe their private donors will cover the cuts. Their fundraising has been pretty damn good. 

Just tired of some UND fans constantly hoping NDSU falls to make UND look better. I want UND to start making better decisions and pass them not wait for them to blow a tire. Cut the fat and streamline the AD and get ALL of our programs to championship level!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, bison73 said:

FCOA is fully funded as well.  I thought that was in the article.

I used that assumption. But that means the increase (which is impressive but doesn't actually cover the full announced amount of FCOA) is being used entirely for scholarships/FCOA and isn't being used to fund what would on the surface should equate to a $1.3 million cut.

34 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

You're including tuition dollars, Kolpack's number is what is directly appropriated from the state.  From what I understand, each university has flexibility in where they can appropriate their tuition dollars.

I'm using the definition of school funds that USA today uses: "Includes both direct and indirect support from the university, including state funds, tuition, tuition waivers etc., as well as federal Work Study amounts for student workers employed by athletics department. It also includes the value of university-provided support such as administrative services, facilities and grounds maintenance, security, risk management, utilities, depreciation and debt service that is not charged to the athletics department."

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why the rest of the campus would have to look at their budget and make cuts why the athletic department would get to pick and choose and only look at less than 10% of their budget and trim that. The numbers don't add up. Maybe there is still excess funds available from the dining hall, who knows?

Just now, North Dakota said:

Who says they will need to cut anything? Their not nearly as bloated as UND. Maybe their private donors will cover the cuts. Their fundraising has been pretty damn good. 

Just tired of some UND fans constantly hoping NDSU falls to make UND look better. I want UND to start making better decisions and pass them not wait for them to blow a tire. Cut the fat and streamline the AD and get ALL of our programs to championship level!

1. Who says? Governor Bergum

2.  If you go to Bisonville, you can post that you are tired of NDSU constantly hoping UND falls to make NDSU look better, it works both ways.

Just now, darell1976 said:

1. Who says? Governor Bergum

2.  If you go to Bisonville, you can post that you are tired of NDSU constantly hoping UND falls to make NDSU look better, it works both ways.

1. He specifically said the AD needs to be cut? If so I missed that.....

2. I don't give a !@#$ what BV says unlike you apparently.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

2. I don't give a !@#$ what BV says unlike you apparently.

Don't come on a UND board and tell us you are tired of what we say about NDSU. Your true colors of yellow and green are showing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

Considering it is going to be around a 20% across the board on state funding to the Universities and the athletic department receives state and school support, I'm not sure how you could read it any other way. I guess they could just exempt the athletic department but the backlash would be huge (and rightfully so) if academics had to pick up extra cuts because they didn't do their fair share.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Considering it is going to be around a 20% across the board on state funding to the Universities and the athletic department receives state and school support, I'm not sure how you could read it any other way. I guess they could just exempt the athletic department but the backlash would be huge (and rightfully so) if academics had to pick up extra cuts because they didn't do their fair share.

They tried to push a hike on the students but it was voted down. I think the students said enough's enough. 

Just now, North Dakota said:

Lol that's basically what I said but I'm wearing yellow and green apparently.......

No it isn't. geaux_sioux is talking about UND sports, you are talking NDSU sports and got butt-hurt about anyone posting something that seems negative about them. Big difference.

So if the cuts "will most likely be felt in the athletic department at North Dakota State" and Larsen said that no sports would be cut, no scholarships as well as "resources to win a championship" (which I assume he means FCOA), then were are the cuts in the athletic deparment going to be made?  Not sure how you can cut 1.5 million from the budget elsewhere without anyone noticing.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So if the cuts "will most likely be felt in the athletic department at North Dakota State" and Larsen said that no sports would be cut, no scholarships as well as "resources to win a championship" (which I assume he means FCOA), then were are the cuts in the athletic deparment going to be made?  Not sure how you can cut 1.5 million from the budget elsewhere without anyone noticing.

It's the money tree in the middle of campus. 

• Upvote 4