SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

4 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

I love how you ignore the financial mess UND is still in.  Will be interesting to see what the athletic dept and school has for deficits at the end of the school year.

It seems like the one ignoring problems is you.  Glass house. Both schools will be making some tough decisions...personally,  I don't believe in the state funded athletics at public schools.  I'd slash the #@$% out of them and arts programs. 

9 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

It seems like the one ignoring problems is you.  Glass house. Both schools will be making some tough decisions...personally,  I don't believe in the state funded athletics at public schools.  I'd slash the #@$% out of them and arts programs. 

Slash it.jpeg

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Not at all but I'd rather have a balanced budget than running a deficit when cuts are to be made. 

43 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'd rather have cuts made than kicking the can down the road. You eventually have to pay the piper.

Kind of like what your pres did by agreeing to the recommendation not to cut sports even though he knew he would have to? By doing that all he did was save his azz to not look like the bad guy and it gave him more time. Thats kicking the can down the road.

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

Kind of like what your pres did by agreeing to the recommendation not to cut sports even though he knew he would have to? By doing that all he did was save his azz to not look like the bad guy and it gave him more time. Thats kicking the can down the road.

Here's the difference: I or most here won't argue they screwed that up (even though two sports had previously been chopped along with numerous other real cuts). Not a chance FargoU fanboys would dare be critical of the hard pass NDSU took on anything resembling a meaningful cut. I mean that article today sure reinforced the narrative that they were further along than people think. :silly:

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Here's the difference: I or most here won't argue they screwed that up (even though two sports had previously been chopped along with numerous other real cuts). Not a chance FargoU fanboys would dare be critical of the hard pass NDSU took on anything resembling a meaningful cut. I mean that article today sure reinforced the narrative that they were further along than people think. :silly:

Of course thats what you would like as it fits your narrative. If you really think they dont have a plan----- I will leave you with those thoughts.

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So how important was the Bison OC to heir success? Will one of the assistants be able to follow the same philosophy and  skip any learning curve?

Sure OC Tim Polasek helped, and there will be a slip felt by the team because of the departure. He had a reputation as a good recruiter in Wisco & Iowa and he's going to U Iowa, maybe that's the part that will hurt the most. OC position always gets some crap from the fans, and he got his share, but overall he did a very good job, he will be missed. 

I would imagine with the Bizon now slipping, the new OC is going to get the bulk of the beef from the arrogant fans, the new guy is always easier to pick on.

11 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Sure OC Tim Polasek helped, and there will be a slip felt by the team because of the departure. He had a reputation as a good recruiter in Wisco & Iowa and he's going to U Iowa, maybe that's the part that will hurt the most. OC position always gets some crap from the fans, and he got his share, but overall he did a very good job, he will be missed. 

I would imagine with the Bizon now slipping, the new OC is going to get the bulk of the beef from the arrogant fans, the new guy is always easier to pick on.

Polaseks strength was as a position coach and recruiter. I dont think OC was a good fit for him .

9 hours ago, bison73 said:

Of course thats what you would like as it fits your narrative. If you really think they dont have a plan----- I will leave you with those thoughts.

I didn't say they didn't have some sort of plan, I said I don't think they are further along than people think (which was your claim).  The comments from the article that ran sure make it seem like nothing is very concrete at this point and the fact that nothing outside of some buyouts and early retirement having been made public is telling, especially since some areas are apparently going to take a much bigger haircut than others. Weird how that comes out right after an article about how the athletic department likely won't see much in terms of negative effects from budget cuts.

If dealt a 20 percent cut, NDSU would be forced to cut employees, including faculty, a step the university hasn't taken yet in handling state-required budget cuts.

In scaling back, NDSU will set priorities. "We have not taken the approach of across the board budget cuts,"

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I didn't say they didn't have some sort of plan, I said I don't think they are further along than people think (which was your claim).  The comments from the article that ran sure make it seem like nothing is very concrete at this point and the fact that nothing outside of some buyouts and early retirement having been made public is telling, especially since some areas are apparently going to take a much bigger haircut than others. Weird how that comes out right after an article about how the athletic department likely won't see much in terms of negative effects from budget cuts.

Is there a deadline when these cuts have to take place for either UND or NDSU?

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

When the FINAL numbers are given to them they will inact their plan. Dont see what the tizzy is about.

5 minutes ago, bison73 said:

When the FINAL numbers are given to them they will inact their plan. Dont see what the tizzy is about.

They are already taking steps in preparation of the final numbers.  Only reason why no one is talking about it is because eliminating jobs and departments isn't as exciting to write about in the papers as dropping sports.  

21 minutes ago, bison73 said:

If they are so far along in planning, why the big secret? Obviously things aren't set in stone until the final budget numbers are presented (and even then there is a lot of room for changes) but I think it is more than fair for people to be curious about what the "priorities" in Fargo are, especially after Bresciani stated that cuts won't be across the board, especially considering the amount of cuts coming. Because of how they handled the last round, they will actually have to make some real cuts this time around and all we know so far is that they've offered some early retirements and that it will have a minimal effect on athletics.

44 minutes ago, Tolna said:

Courtney Messingham, new OC hired today by NDSU. He was the OC at Montana St last year.

In 2016 Montana State had a 4-7 record, won 2 games in the conference and whose offense scored the least in conference play and the second least overall (ISU scored the least). Good luck in Fargo.

8 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

In 2016 Montana State had a 4-7 record, won 2 games in the conference and whose offense scored the least in conference play and the second least overall (ISU scored the least). Good luck in Fargo.

What was Rudolph's record at Minot State before he came to the Hawks?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The schoold as a whole, with the steps UND made in bugeting last year to finish this bienium, which ends June 30th, we could be around a 13%-14% reduction for the next two years. We'll have to see what our final apporpriation is from the state. Thinking for NDSU not so good. Wishing the best for all of HE.