SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

18 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

One would think NDSU could garner somebody a bit better after all the success (and money) they had.  The drop off in your defensive line coach is dramatic.  Your staff got worse at both positions.  

Messingham's a grand slam hire. He'll be a wash to a slight improvement over Polasek. I know less about Williams. He'll need to pull in the recruits like Cain could. That will take a few years to evaluate. 

6 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

Messingham's a grand slam hire. He'll be a wash to a slight improvement over Polasek. I know less about Williams. He'll need to pull in the recruits like Cain could. That will take a few years to evaluate. 

:silly:  Okie dokie.

3 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

With UND now with a conference title, playoff berth, and things looking up, NDSU better not slip up and lose out on the recruiting trail. 

12 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

With UND now with a conference title, playoff berth, and things looking up, NDSU better not slip up and lose out on the recruiting trail. 

Cain mainly recruited out of the tri-state  area. I doubt the area Williams will be recruiting in are regions where you guys normally recruit. We will have to shift some responsibilities over for Wisconsin, since that was Polasek's main responsibility.  

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Based on what? I don't see anything in his resume that screams that.

Polasek had 0 years experience coordinating at any level. Messingham has about 10, including for a quasi P5 team (it is Iowa State after all). I'm also excited about potentially recruiting Dallas/Ft. Worth, which is where he recruited for MSU. Like I said, at worse a wash, but I really think there's a better chance it's an upgrade. 

50 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

One would think NDSU could garner somebody a bit better after all the success (and money) they had.  The drop off in your defensive line coach is dramatic.  Your staff got worse at both positions.  

I didn't watch much ndsu football the last couple years,  but I got a lot of texts/calls from people complaining about Polasek....

3 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I didn't watch much ndsu football the last couple years,  but I got a lot of texts/calls from people complaining about Polasek....

I wasn't as down on Polasek as most, but it's not like he's some offensive genius. I really like Messingham's experience. The NDSU offense really needs to find someway to push the ball down the field with the passing game. 

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

First year staff running and totally different system. Nice try.

Not so fast!

That 2-quarterback system that Montana State was trying to run was a disaster! If that was Courtney Messingham's doing, then he may be more questionable as an OC than you think; reminded me of Mussman and the 2013 UND season ....

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

Polasek had 0 years experience coordinating at any level. Messingham has about 10, including for a quasi P5 team (it is Iowa State after all). I'm also excited about potentially recruiting Dallas/Ft. Worth, which is where he recruited for MSU. Like I said, at worse a wash, but I really think there's a better chance it's an upgrade. 

If you are talking about comparing Polasek vs. Messingham when they were each hired at NDSU, that is a different argument than replacing Polasek as he is right now with Messingham. Again, nothing in the results from his previous teams screams grand slam. His tie to Klieman was the main reason behind the hire, not his past success. He may very well turn out just fine but calling it a grand slam is really stretching it.

Related to recruiting, Montana State signed a total of zero recruits from Texas the last two classes (Messingham joined the staff in December 2015). Based on that, I'm not sure how you think NDSU will start pulling players out of there, though I for one really hope they start focusing resources on Texas. Polasek leaving also weakens NDSU's presence in Wisconsin, which is a bonus for UND.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

I hope NDSU spends more time recruiting in Texas.  Sprinkle in a little Arizona while you're down there, as well.  ;)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

I hope NDSU spends more time recruiting in Texas.  Sprinkle in a little Arizona while you're down there, as well.  ;)

I do as well. It's about finding the right kids when you go far out of your traditional recruiting area. Florida's been a goldmine for NDSU lately. Bruce Anderson, Tre Dempsey, Jaylaan Wimbush. I'd like to get back into Texas again. We had success there with Warren Holloway and D.J. McNorton. 

1 hour ago, NDSU grad said:

So which is it....is he a "grand slam hire" or is he about the same as Polasek?  Time will tell how good he is, but his resume certainly is blowing anyone away.

17 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

If you are talking about comparing Polasek vs. Messingham when they were each hired at NDSU, that is a different argument than replacing Polasek as he is right now with Messingham. Again, nothing in the results from his previous teams screams grand slam. His tie to Klieman was the main reason behind the hire, not his past success. He may very well turn out just fine but calling it a grand slam is really stretching it.

Related to recruiting, Montana State signed a total of zero recruits from Texas the last two classes (Messingham joined the staff in December 2015). Based on that, I'm not sure how you think NDSU will start pulling players out of there, though I for one really hope they start focusing resources on Texas. Polasek leaving also weakens NDSU's presence in Wisconsin, which is a bonus for UND.

Well, Messingham still has tons of experience compared to Polasek now. Polasek was only OC for one year, and only at one school.  

40 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

I wasn't as down on Polasek as most, but it's not like he's some offensive genius. I really like Messingham's experience. The NDSU offense really needs to find someway to push the ball down the field with the passing game. 

NDSU's offense has never done anything exceptional; however, what they do they do exceptionally well*. Guys do not miss blocks; backs hit the holes on time; routes are run correctly; the QB just has to be efficient (and anything more makes the precision lethal). When you watch them closely, they have maybe four run block schemes, six primary pass routes. They just do them, as I said, exceptionally well so it is hard to defend them. 

If NDSU stays with that formula, well, meet the new OC, same as the old OC. If the new OC thinks he's going to bring in something "kinda cool kinda now kinda hip kinda wow" he (and Klieman) better be ready for some tough, ugly criticism if it doesn't fire on all cylinders immediately. 

*I consider that a great compliment. 

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So which is it....is he a "grand slam hire" or is he about the same as Polasek?  Time will tell how good he is, but his resume certainly is blowing anyone away.

As you said, time will tell.

But as far as FCS hires go, his resume does blow most candidates' out of the water. Any time an FCS school hires a coach that has been at a Big 12 school for the same position, that's more impressive than 99% of resume's FCS coaches have.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Any time an FCS school hires a coach that has been at a Big 12 school for the same position, that's more impressive than 99% of resume's FCS coaches have.

But it begs the observation: He's moving down the coaching ranks. (P5 to FCS is not moving up.) 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

As you said, time will tell.

But as far as FCS hires go, his resume does blow most candidates' out of the water. Any time an FCS school hires a coach that has been at a Big 12 school for the same position, that's more impressive than 99% of resume's FCS coaches have.

Just because you were a coach at the FBS level doesn't mean you were a good coach.

14 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Just because you were a coach at the FBS level doesn't mean you were a good coach.

"The Cyclones' offense was stuck in neutral for the majority of the season. It finished in the bottom three of the Big 12 in points per game (24.8), yards per game (363), yards per play (4.82), rushing yards (143.83) and passing yards (219.17)."

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

But it begs the observation: He's moving down the coaching ranks. (P5 to FCS is not moving up.) 

You make a fair point,and it would be interesting to find out any/all details of his time at ISU, but my point still stands.

It's exceedingly rare for an FCS coordinator to have at any point in his career held the same position at a P5 school. That alone makes his resume quite impressive which is what I was responding to.