SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

Not sure limiting coverage is a smart move. Few bad years and you might regret that. I know UND doesnt have a forum contract but Bubba and UND should invite Fargo Forum people up to GF to cover UND games. 

What better way for the forum to stick it to NDSU then to send koplack izzo and mcfeely up to UND to do a pre game show with miller and schlossman and cover und games. That and start putting UND games on the front page in fargo. I'd love to see forum comm step up their UND football coverage. The job Bubba has done deserves more exposure & coverage from them in the paper and on tv anyways.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, bison73 said:

I think JJ has gotten full of himself. I dont like this at all. Restricting access? You gotta be kidding me. In North Dakota?????? You need as much exposure as you can get.

"Gotten" full of himself?   Pretty sure he has been stuffed for awhile.

• Upvote 3

North Dakota Governor just issued a press release:

All future Legislative sessions and press conferences will only be made available to the highest bidding member of the media, claiming a need to control the message and bring more money into the state.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, nodakhoops said:

Not sure limiting coverage is a smart move. Few bad years and you might regret that. I know UND doesnt have a forum contract but Bubba and UND should invite Fargo Forum people up to GF to cover UND games. 

What better way for the forum to stick it to NDSU then to send koplack izzo and mcfeely up to UND to do a pre game show with miller and schlossman and cover und games. That and start putting UND games on the front page in fargo. I'd love to see forum comm step up their UND football coverage. The job Bubba has done deserves more exposure & coverage from them in the paper and on tv anyways.

Except there isn't a market for UND football right now

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 12

7 minutes ago, ndsubison1 said:

Cratter, this isn't an open records meeting. 

The press release also stated one on one interviews with the Governor will only be granted to the one media member...all other will continue to be denied...want to interview the governor you will need to be the highest bidder for the contract in three years when it's available.

Granted I don't understand the ins and outs of the media business and if this this is the right move business wise for NDSU, but on its face this feels like a HUGE mistake to me and feels very wrong. Kolpack and Izzo specifically have, in my mind, become synonymous with NDSU football and deserve more than they seem to be getting with this new deal. I can't understand how this could possibly be a good thing for NDSU sports.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Granted I don't understand the ins and outs of the media business and if this this is the right move business wise for NDSU, but on its face this feels like a HUGE mistake to me and feels very wrong. Kolpack and Izzo specifically have, in my mind, become synonymous with NDSU football and deserve more than they seem to be getting with this new deal. I can't understand how this could possibly be a good thing for NDSU sports.

This feels like NDSU just did a very anti NDSU thing and alienated a huge number of people and made some very important people very bitter. There is now contempt against NDSU from very loyal people. That doesn't bode well.

• Upvote 4

Not getting all the outrage.  How is this different than any of the megabuck media and broadcast deals that have defined sports for decades?  Pretty much every sports property has been willing to trade exclusivity for money.  Blackouts, embargoes, all of those things trace back to exclusive rights having been granted to singular entities.  It's NDSU's events and venues...why should they be chastised for monetizing media access when that is the norm?  Go ahead and try to broadcast your little, indie sports show from the grounds of the Super Bowl, Final Four, World Series, etc., and see what happens.

3 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Not getting all the outrage.  How is this different than any of the megabuck media and broadcast deals that have defined sports for decades?  Pretty much every sports property has been willing to trade exclusivity for money.  Blackouts, embargoes, all of those things trace back to exclusive rights having been granted to singular entities.  It's NDSU's events and venues...why should they be chastised for monetizing media access when that is the norm?  Go ahead and try to broadcast your little, indie sports show from the grounds of the Super Bowl, Final Four, World Series, etc., and see what happens.

I'm as big of an ndsu guy as there is, but I don't believe ndsu is at a place where they should be restricting access due to a contract. In its evolution, ndsu is still in brand building, fan base generating mode. Guys like Izzo and kolpack are the best thing ndsu could ever ask for at this stage. Even if financially this is good for NDSU, I think that dollar amount pales in comparison to the revenue that could be generated by attracting new fans to the brand through as many media outlets as possible.

The comparison with the Super Bowl or the others you mentioned doesn't fit because those events could not be more well known in the US. NDSU certainly hasn't reached the level of omnipresence or anything close to it.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Did you really just compare ndsu to the Super Bowl, Final Four, and World Series? Just delusional.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

Even if financially this is good for NDSU, I think that dollar amount pales in comparison to the revenue that could be generated by attracting new fans to the brand through as many media outlets as possible.

NDSU has been on a five year media bender with more publicity than money can buy.  I don't think there are too many viable markets that remain to be penetrated.  If the media rights money is good, shouldn't they strike while the proverbial iron is hot?

Just now, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

NDSU has been on a five year media bender with more publicity than money can buy.  I don't think there are too many viable markets that remain to be penetrated.  If the media rights money is good, shouldn't they strike while the proverbial iron is hot?

More publicity than money can buy? Oh the irony.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Difference of degree, not character.  NDSU is selling media rights, and apparently there's a buyer.  How is it any different?

So catch me up on the details here. How did this come about? Did KVLY make exclusivity a clause in their offer or how did this happen?