SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Northeastern // Mich vs. Notre Dame

AZSIOUX

3 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Keep in mind that there was not a lot to play for. This is not an excuse but it is a reality. It is hard to get up for games against team you have played five times each, when you already know you will be a top seed in your regional next weekend. I also bet Ladue would have played Saturday if this was a Regional game.

I noticed a lack of urgency last weekend. I would be willing to be we do not see that this Friday.

You noticed a lack of urgency because there was truly no huge reason to play urgently.

Absolutely Duey would have played if it weren't the third place game.

1 minute ago, ericpnelson said:

I'm very nervous. There, I said it. I know it happened last year, but that had the whole home crowd energy injection of energy. I'm hyper nervous, and I probably don't need to be.

On neutral ice, the best team usually wins. We'll see if we are. I have confidence that a 30-6-4 season isn't simply a mirage.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Uh I believe we lost two at the NCHC last year and we made it to the Frozen Four - I'm saying what happens at the NCHC has no bearing on what happens in the national tournament. 

The Fargo Regional was about as big of a gift as has ever been giving to UND Hockey, or second to Ralph's. :)  There was no chance they were losing with that crowd on hand.  Haven't seen any building that amped up in a long time.

Then, reality set in the next week at the FF and it was a boat race.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I watched both games. It happened the last two years and we went to the Frozen Four both weekends following. Of those three teams, this one is FAR AND AWAY the most talented. I don't understand.

What happened in MPLS this past weekend? UND lost to a team who had everything to lose in a game that realistically meant nothing and tied a team when both really didn't care to be there.

I saw parts in both games that we played very well and with it now being one-and-done, I'd be surprised to see anything less than our best.

I understand the logic and I was telling myself that over the weekend. But I get uneasy when the team has off games in March and I don't blame anyone else for feeling the same way.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

The Fargo Regional was about as big of a gift as has ever been giving to UND Hockey, or second to Ralph's. :)  There was no chance they were losing with that crowd on hand.  Haven't seen any building that amped up in a long time.

Then, reality set in the next week at the FF and it was a boat race.  

Well, we could have gotten the St. Paul regional if we had won just one game at Target Center. But that didn't happen, so we won't have all that awesome fan support we always get when we play at the Xcel Energy Center.

38 minutes ago, Hhound said:

I'm afraid you may be correct. There's no evidence that we're running out of steam - yet, but statistically the odds of extending the streak get longer each time we take the ice. We're bound to lay an egg sooner or later or just have a bad run of negative puck luck. We had a bit of that vs. Lowell.

Our defense has been so porous for so long that the pundits have found it easy to pick on them. They are much better as individuals have matured and the rest of the team has taken responsibility and done their share. Kevin Roy (pronounced Wah) who came to us as an offensive wizard has learned to play a 200 foot game. In turn, this has helped the goalie to progress to the point where he is pretty good - not all-world - but good enough that the players believe in him and play confidently in front of him. We lost one of our more offensive Ds with a broken finger Friday night. Fortunately we got another one back, also from a broken finger, and there was a very slight dropoff.

Another thought occurred to me. One poster commented about how the Huskies couldn't overcome opponents early leads ("chase the game"). During the first 10-12 games we were absolutely terrible, especially in the first period. Our returning goalie was simply awful. He lasted les than 10 minutes against the Goophers (maybe less than 5 minutes) and was pulled after giving up three black marshmellows. The team scored something like 4 goals in the first period during that run. Of course we fell  behind and we lost every one of those games! Since Thanksgiving things have been radically different. We've been more concern with holding leads. BTW, Against BC on Friday, our goalie gave up a softie  after 15         seconds. We then scored four of the next 5 goals and never trailed again. BC never scored until they picked up two in garbage time to make the game look closer than it was.

I know our kids are having the time of their lives. Your team has been where they are. You don't really want to spoil their fun, do you?:wink:

In short, yes :D

Also, I will be forwarding your scouting report to Coach Berry for review, thank you for your contributions to UND hockey.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Well, we could have gotten the St. Paul regional if we had won just one game at Target Center. But that didn't happen, so we won't have all that awesome fan support we always get when we play at the Xcel Energy Center.

We have lost in the X and recently just won a Cincy regional (13-14?) .... Long story short.... let's GO.

Two things are different this year than last year.  1)  We have more talent across the roster this year on D, F and C.   2) We have BB as head coach who I believe has a more calming influence behind the bench.  I loved Hak but do believe his demeanor during games was very tense and rubbed off on the players.  We will bring our "A" game both nights and beat NU and the ugly helmets!

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, Hhound said:

I'm afraid you may be correct. There's no evidence that we're running out of steam - yet, but statistically the odds of extending the streak get longer each time we take the ice. We're bound to lay an egg sooner or later or just have a bad run of negative puck luck. We had a bit of that vs. Lowell.

Our defense has been so porous for so long that the pundits have found it easy to pick on them. They are much better as individuals have matured and the rest of the team has taken responsibility and done their share. Kevin Roy (pronounced Wah) who came to us as an offensive wizard has learned to play a 200 foot game. In turn, this has helped the goalie to progress to the point where he is pretty good - not all-world - but good enough that the players believe in him and play confidently in front of him. We lost one of our more offensive Ds with a broken finger Friday night. Fortunately we got another one back, also from a broken finger, and there was a very slight dropoff.

Another thought occurred to me. One poster commented about how the Huskies couldn't overcome opponents early leads ("chase the game"). During the first 10-12 games we were absolutely terrible, especially in the first period. Our returning goalie was simply awful. He lasted les than 10 minutes against the Goophers (maybe less than 5 minutes) and was pulled after giving up three black marshmellows. The team scored something like 4 goals in the first period during that run. Of course we fell  behind and we lost every one of those games! Since Thanksgiving things have been radically different. We've been more concern with holding leads. BTW, Against BC on Friday, our goalie gave up a softie  after 15         seconds. We then scored four of the next 5 goals and never trailed again. BC never scored until they picked up two in garbage time to make the game look closer than it was.

I know our kids are having the time of their lives. Your team has been where they are. You don't really want to spoil their fun, do you?:wink:

Nice to have you here, Hhound.  You obviously know your hockey and your team and know how to be civil, which is much appreciated.   With the rivalries we have here with Denver, Wisconsin, and various Minnie schools, we are not always accustomed to civility and can be a little gruff ourselves at times. 

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

We wouldn't have gotten the X unless St. Clown lost and that didn't happen. I understand your point and your concern, for that matter. Just let the year as a whole speak for itself. Every piece is there, just gotta get it done.

• Upvote 2

19 Sat   W 2 - 1    Michigan State (nc)  Box   Metrics     7:30 ET 
January 2016
02 Sat   T 3 - 3  ot  Quinnipiac (nc)  Box   Metrics     7:00 ET 
08 Fri   W 3 - 0    at St. Lawrence (nc)  Box   Metrics     7:00 ET 
09 Sat   W 4 - 2    at St. Lawrence (nc)  Box   Metrics     7:00 ET 
15 Fri   W 4 - 2    New Hampshire  Box   Metrics     7:00 ET 
16 Sat   W 6 - 2    at New Hampshire  Box   Metrics     7:00 ET 
22 Fri   W 5 - 2    at Merrimack  Box   Metrics     7:05 ET 
23 Sat   W 4 - 1    Merrimack  Box   Metrics     7:00 ET 
February 2016
01 Mon   L 1 - 3    vs. Boston University (nc)  Box   Metrics     8:00 ET 
05 Fri   T 2 - 2  ot  at Mass.-Lowell  Box   Metrics     7:15 ET 
08 Mon 3 W 5 - 1    Harvard (nc)  Box   Metrics     4:30 ET 
12 Fri   W 5 - 0    at Massachusetts  Box   Metrics     8:30 ET 
13 Sat   W 4 - 2    Massachusetts  Box   Metrics     7:00 ET 
19 Fri   W 5 - 2    at Connecticut  Box   Metrics     7:05 ET 
20 Sat   W 4 - 1    Connecticut  Box   Metrics     7:00 ET 
26 Fri   W 5 - 3    Maine  Box   Metrics     7:00 ET 
27 Sat   W 7 - 1    Maine  Box   Metrics     7:00 ET 
March 2016
04 Fri 4 W 3 - 2  ot  Maine (nc)  Box   Metrics     7:00 ET 
05 Sat 4 W 4 - 3  ot  Maine (nc)  Box   Metrics     7:00 ET 
11 Fri 5 W 3 - 1    at Notre Dame (nc)  Box   Metrics     7:35 ET 
12 Sat 5 W 6 - 4    at Notre Dame (nc)  Box   Metrics     7:05 ET 
18 Fri 6 W 5 - 4    vs. Boston College (nc)  Box   Metrics     8:00 ET 
19 Sat 7 W 3 - 2    vs. Mass.-Lowell (nc)  Box   Metrics     7:00 ET 
25 Fri

1 minute ago, runaroundsioux said:
January 2016
February 2016
March 2016
25 Fri

Fair point.  Their last 2 wins are the only impressive ones.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

In short, yes :D

Also, I will be forwarding your scouting report to Coach Berry for review, thank you for your contributions to UND hockey.

Be my guest.:lol: 

If your coaches don't know 10x what I said about our team, you really do have something to be concerned about! BTW FedEx has a great business shipping game tapes on Monday for Tuesday delivery each week.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:
January 2016
February 2016
March 2016
25 Fri

BC UML, ND and Harvard are hardly cupcakes, and they tied Q.   This team scores goals, it appears. 

10 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

By the way, for all you Nattering Nabobs of Negatism. Check out the teams NU beat in their epic,historic,hottest team in college hockey run. Mostly little sisters of the poor more than the Titans of College Hockey. 

Has nothing to do with UND's opponent.  

25 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

By the way, for all you Nattering Nabobs of Negatism. Check out the teams NU beat in their epic,historic,hottest team in college hockey run. Mostly little sisters of the poor more than the Titans of College Hockey. 

You are correct, except for a 5-1 romp over Hahvahd , a sweep at St. Lawrence, and ties with BC, QPac and UMLowell, and a 1 goal+EN loss to bu. The schedule we had us playing the lions in the league before Christmas and the pussycats in 2016. It was an early nightmare until we got our act together, IOW, We played the hand that was dealt us.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Hhound said:

Just to make my own personal case .....

I have been a hardcore Sioux fan since 2003 when I first got to UND. Prior to that I grew up a Gopher fan (It was a fairly dark place in my like that I prefer not to think about ;) ) So despite all of UND's Championship banners, I have been doomed to 12 years of playoff disappointment.

-Losing to Denver in'03 and again in '04; the year of the all-WCHA frozen four

-More early exits to BC that I prefer to think about. ('06, '07, '08)

-Strange early exits to New Hampshire ('09) and Yale('10). (Also lost to Yale in '13, though they won it all that year)

-Sean Hunwick vs. The Pony Express (winner Hunwick) (in '11)

-Gopher ('12) .... at least they didn't win it all

-Bounced by the Goofers with .6 seconds left in the game. ('14)

-Zano Insano vs Eichel and Company ('15)

I'm getting very tired of these playoff losses, often in epic fashion. Time to win one! C'mon Hockey Gods, time to play fair!! :) 

Go Sioux!

3 minutes ago, Hhound said:

Thank you. I have had nothing but pleasant encounters with UND (do you prefer Nodak?) fans in the past. Your enthusiasm is unmatched if the activity on this message board is any indication. I know some of you would show up at the South Pole if your team had a game there!

Just not Fighting Hawks ;) 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hhound said:

You are correct, except for a 6-1 romp over Hahvahd , a sweep at St. Lawrence, and ties with BC and QPac and a 1 goal+EN loss to bu. The schedule we had us playing the lions in the league before Christmas and the pussycats in 2016. It was an early nightmare until we got our act together, IOW, We played the hand that was dealt us.

Agreed, you can't pick you whole schedule, kids have to play regardless of whether they are tough opponents. We had a few people on here saying we can't finish our regular season with cream puffs and expect to be competitive with better teams in the NCHC and Nat'l tourneys. Truth is, you have to play your schedule and play it strong regardless of whom is on it.