SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UNO - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Just watched my recording of last nights game. Finally I saw some sioux hockey. The pogo line was brutalizing Omaha all night. Boeser has his mojo back and cajewels is getting his back as well. Schmaltz still makes nice plays even when he isn't as dominant. I liked everything about the game. Great checking. Ferocity on the puck. Good passing. And a full game played as a team. Western better watch out because they're running into a buzz saw.

• Upvote 4

They might have wanted to do this after Miami swept them at the "dealership" a little late to be concerned with their season.

Nick Beaulieu@NickBeaulieu2 19h19 hours ago

1/2 After the game, the UNO players stayed in the locker room for a long time. Brian Cooper said the best point made was by Kirk Thompson.

k Beaulieu@NickBeaulieu2 19h19 hours ago

2/2 Thompson said they were the No. 1 team in the nation with that group of guys in the locker room and that the guys seem to forget that

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

They might have wanted to do this after Miami swept them at the "dealership" a little late to be concerned with their season.

Nick Beaulieu@NickBeaulieu2 19h19 hours ago

1/2 After the game, the UNO players stayed in the locker room for a long time. Brian Cooper said the best point made was by Kirk Thompson.

k Beaulieu@NickBeaulieu2 19h19 hours ago

2/2 Thompson said they were the No. 1 team in the nation with that group of guys in the locker room and that the guys seem to forget that

Who was? UND's locker room or Omaha's?

Sitting here with my foam hockey stick hat on, courtesy of the UNO (#mavspirit), great weekend to go on a road trip. Solid performance by UND - defense was dominating. 

Considering they have been swept 4 times at home since December their crowd wasn't that bad. Their students have got several routines down and they have some great video productions that get the crowd going. Thank you Joanna and Al for putting together another great bus trip. 

(By the way it's been my experience that on a road trip this team and its fans are all "Fighting Sioux")

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Just watched my recording of last nights game. Finally I saw some sioux hockey. The pogo line was brutalizing Omaha all night. Boeser has his mojo back and cajewels is getting his back as well. Schmaltz still makes nice plays even when he isn't as dominant. I liked everything about the game. Great checking. Ferocity on the puck. Good passing. And a full game played as a team. Western better watch out because they're running into a buzz saw.

Was at the games this weekend, and it was in the second period of Friday night when the CBS line had a couple of shifts that showed things coming together.  That continued into the third on Friday and all through the game on Saturday.  I believe there are still injury issues with C and S, but things seem to be coming back together at the right time.  And yes, Poganski was a beast all weekend.  When he was around the front of the net they were committing two defensemen to try to move him from the front of the goalie.  As a result UND started getting some key shot opportunities right in the slot.

And the Luke Johnson line was tasked with the chore of trying to contain the taco line.  They did a very good job of it (other than when LJ left the game on Friday night) in containing that line.  Both nights the game started out with UNO building their shot total, and then UND stepping it up and outshooting UNO the rest of the game, especially on Saturday.  Faceoffs were a huge issue on Friday, less of an issue on Saturday night, but something needs to be done in this area.  UND just does not have a key dominant faceoff guy.

And we really enjoyed the UND fan celebrations at DJ's Dugout by the Century Link Center both nights.  Somewhere there are pictures.

• Upvote 3

If you'd have told me on the morning of Friday, February 26 that come Sunday, February 28:

- one NCHC team has 53 points and locked up no worse than a share of a regular season title
- that same team is one point from an outright title
- there's a tie with 47 points for second place in the NCHC

I'd have expected that SCSU swept UMD and UND had a bad weekend in Omaha. 

Whups. ;) 

• Upvote 1