SiouxSports.com Forum

Check out the new Logo concepts by Gridiron Labs

GLABS

1 hour ago, GLABS said:

Thanks for checking out the designs and the whole presentation is available at UND REBRAND PRESENTATION

More back story: We worked independently on this major re-brand all last Summer and Fall as part of a project to come up with concepts and strategies for transitioning teams around America with Native American nicknames.  In the sports design world this is a huge issue, made even harder by the battle lines that are drawn by both sides. Another such battle we were following was also occurring at Watertown High in (MA) last June.

The designs that we released today are totally free of design by committee compromises that would water down a true "transition brand" direction, which is needed to appeal to the most number of fans in the UND Community, create a wide adoption and set the brand up for a successful future.  To that end, we purposely nuanced the back feathers of the revered Native American hawk symbol to create an identity that would serve as a source of pride for those on all sides of the issue.  Our 2nd "Thunderbird" design does this in a  slightly different way.  We were also keenly aware that the only way to break through the deep passion for the Fighting Sioux nickname, is a with a powerful brand identity that respects the past with elements that tie the new brand to the old.

For those wondering, definitely, we have no affiliation with other designers.  Just wanted to put solid design concepts out there and let fans weigh in.

I really like your second concept. It would look great on UNIs and hats and shirts. I'd buy it.

7 hours ago, Hayduke said:

A hawk is a bird.  A bird has feathers.  I doubt the NCAA would take any action. 

I like this logo design.  Get 'er done!

Only the freaking NCAA could find trouble with a bird having feathers and I wouldn't put it past them.  My God, if that happens then ban all nicknames/logos now.  Nice design!

14 hours ago, GLABS said:

Thanks for checking out the designs and the whole presentation is available at UND REBRAND PRESENTATION

More back story: We worked independently on this major re-brand all last Summer and Fall as part of a project to come up with concepts and strategies for transitioning teams around America with Native American nicknames.  In the sports design world this is a huge issue, made even harder by the battle lines that are drawn by both sides. Another such battle we were following was also occurring at Watertown High in (MA) last June.

The designs that we released today are totally free of design by committee compromises that would water down a true "transition brand" direction, which is needed to appeal to the most number of fans in the UND Community, create a wide adoption and set the brand up for a successful future.  To that end, we purposely nuanced the back feathers of the revered Native American hawk symbol to create an identity that would serve as a source of pride for those on all sides of the issue.  Our 2nd "Thunderbird" design does this in a  slightly different way.  We were also keenly aware that the only way to break through the deep passion for the Fighting Sioux nickname, is a with a powerful brand identity that respects the past with elements that tie the new brand to the old.

For those wondering, definitely, we have no affiliation with other designers.  Just wanted to put solid design concepts out there and let fans weigh in.

Did your company fill out the rfp for the UND project? 

2 hours ago, choyt3 said:

Did your company fill out the rfp for the UND project? 

No, we didn't participate. We felt it was more important to release visuals that would work best for this situation, and that meant tying them back to the Native American heritage and tapping into the deep #SiouxForever fans base. With 73% of fans still disapproving of the Fighting Hawks nickname (especially compared Fighting Sioux), we were of the opinion that it will be very tough for any design firm to overcome the situation with a generic "hawk" logo and totally break form the past. Designs have to fit the situation.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, GLABS said:

No, we didn't participate. We felt it was more important to release visuals that would work best for this situation, and that meant tying them back to the Native American heritage and tapping into the deep #SiouxForever fans base. With 73% of fans still disapproving of the Fighting Hawks nickname (especially compared Fighting Sioux), we were of the opinion that it will be very tough for any design firm to overcome the situation with a generic "hawk" logo and totally break form the past. Designs have to fit the situation.

Interesting theory/thought process and some pretty decent designs. I don't disagree that it will be tough for SME (or whoever else would have got the contract) to come up with something, that is just a given but I'm not really following the part where a firm just does something like this "just because" and then releases. I'm also pretty curious on where you are getting the 73% disapproval figure from.

25 minutes ago, GLABS said:

Great work. I really do like them both, but, you did it just for funsies?

Looking for the cheap pop. Thanks for pandering to us. Bravo. :silly:

28 minutes ago, GLABS said:

I get where you are coming from, but don't see a market for a "transitional logo", as UND is certain to block any representation of their name at the very least. As much as those 73% dislike the new nickname, and I'm certainly included in that though not certain on the numbers, the Fighting Hawks is not going away in the foreseeable future. We are stuck with it. And SME has been tasked with creating the new official logo to accompany that nickname.

I must be missing something.

2 minutes ago, choyt3 said:

I get where you are coming from, but don't see a market for a "transitional logo", as UND is certain to block any representation of their name at the very least. As much as those 73% dislike the new nickname, and I'm certainly included in that though not certain on the numbers, the Fighting Hawks is not going away in the foreseeable future. We are stuck with it. And SME has been tasked with creating the new official logo to accompany that nickname.

I must be missing something.

Yeah, you must have missed GLABS' previous two business ventures:  driving an ice cream truck outside the walls of a fat farm, and selling roller skates at the Shriners Hospital.  Next they will be selling meth outside of rehab clinics.

Not sure I get the point of teasing angry and emotionally-fried people with what they cannot have, but whatever.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

I desgned a logo just for fun...took me ten minutes.

That looks to be a lot of effort for zero return.

5 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Yeah, you must have missed GLABS' previous two business ventures:  driving an ice cream truck outside the walls of a fat farm, and selling roller skates at the Shriners Hospital.  Next they will be selling meth outside of rehab clinics.

Not sure I get the point of teasing angry and emotionally-fried people with what they cannot have, but whatever.

It's simple... get the support from a group of people that are supporting their logos.... get twitter follows/mentions, facebook comments/shares, IG posts.... retweet, share, repost.... "HEY look at the potential new FH logo! These are sweet! I'd TOTALLY be on board if they looked like this!" .... exposure of brand.... $$$

Well done, GLABS.

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

It's simple... get the support from a group of people that are supporting their logos.... get twitter follows, facebook mentions/share, IG posts.... exposure of brand.... $$$

Well done, GLABS.

But honestly, how many Sioux fans are in the market for design services at any given moment?  The ROI on the design time here has got to be super low.  Did these yahoos even submit a bid to UND?

Just now, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

But honestly, how many Sioux fans are in the market for design services at any given moment?  The ROI on the design time here has got to be super low.  Did these yahoos even submit a bid to UND?

No, they didn't. And it's not about any of us buying anything from them... it's about exposure. Every retweet/share/repost from a Sioux fan goes out to thousands of new people that can see their logos.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Exactly right Stone

It's EXACTLY what they are doing...

get the support from a group of people that are supporting their logos.... get twitter follows/mentions, facebook comments/shares, IG posts.... retweet, share, repost.... "HEY look at the potential new FH logo! These are sweet! I'd TOTALLY be on board if they looked like this!" .... exposure of brand.... $$$

1 hour ago, jimdahl said:

It's concept art. You do it for practice, to develop a portfolio, and to get your work seen.

https://www.behance.net/danestorrusten

My prior was against transitional logos that incorporate the feathers, but this one does feel well done to me. Good job.

Serious question, as I don't know the field.  Are there not ethical problems with including in one's "portfolio" work that was neither solicited nor used, where the "clients" never engaged the artist and are otherwise readily identifiable?  Does "concept art" permit an artist to mislead future prospective clients as to past engagements? 

• Upvote 1