SiouxSports.com Forum

Check out the new Logo concepts by Gridiron Labs

GLABS

49 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Serious question, as I don't know the field.  Are there not ethical problems with including in one's "portfolio" work that was neither solicited nor used, where the "clients" never engaged the artist and are otherwise readily identifiable?  Does "concept art" permit an artist to mislead future prospective clients as to past engagements? 

There are no ethical problems if you do the work, if it is original, and if you don't make any false claims. In this case they should be fine because they have stated that they did this on their own and that it was never submitted to UND. If they claimed that they did it for UND, then it would be a problem. A portfolio is used to show your skills and abilities. I've seen people submit writing samples that were never submitted to anyone. They are fine as long as they don't make false claims about being printed somewhere. The people just use them to show what they are capable of doing.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Don't understand why everyone is being so rude here.  I think the logo looks great.  Better work than the others I've seen....

Exactly............easy to take shots by some who are working on their "Frozen" coloring book in their parent's basement while eating Cheetos.

In GLABS we trust........

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, jimdahl said:

It's concept art. You do it for practice, to develop a portfolio, and to get your work seen.

https://www.behance.net/danestorrusten

My prior was against transitional logos that incorporate the feathers, but this one does feel well done to me. Good job.

I agree. It's very well done, IMO. I think it would actually be an awesome logo for UND. Kind of modern, aggressive and definitely different enough from other bird logos to be considered unique.

• Upvote 1

On 2/24/2016 at 1:15 PM, GLABS said:

Check out Fighting Hawks logo and uniforms concepts from sports brand designers Gridiron Labs that deliver a true transition brand for backers of the Fighting Sioux nickname.  The full package along with logo stories can be checked out here:  bit.ly/1R1qTuP 

Cb_8QX1UkAAuknU.jpg

Cb_8QUhUEAEHdu6.jpg

Thats not bad. But I really like the one where it had a hawk face and the feathers  that looked like it came off the Brein logo.

Just now, bison73 said:

Thats not bad. But I really like the one where it had a hawk face and the feathers  that looked like it came off the Brein logo.

Of course you do.........and so did 95% of those that wound up voting for F-n Hawks. 

2 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

The guy that developed this is a talent. I really hope we end up with something this good. 

I agree, and if we don't, our fanbase should be outraged again at how much money  the University laid out for a poor result.  In other words, at the least, this should represent a standard that SME needs to meet or exceed, otherwise we have been led down the generic route once again.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

In other words, at the least, this should represent a standard that SME needs to meet or exceed, otherwise we have been led down the generic route once again.

You have arbitrarily designated as the "standard" against which all future drawings are to be judged an unsolicited, off the cuff rendering from God-knows-who who just happened to throw something together as a "concept" but who couldn't be bothered to submit a bid to UND so their qualifications could be vetted.  That, and we don't know what these yahoos would have charged, or whether they've done any due diligence to ensure originality, and I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they didn't do any of the things that UND promised it would do in terms of gathering public input from a diverse group of stakeholders.

59992898.jpg.01b602f7e23c6eaa08058342dde

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, tnt said:

I agree, and if we don't, our fanbase should be outraged again at how much money  the University laid out for a poor result.  In other words, at the least, this should represent a standard that SME needs to meet or exceed, otherwise we have been led down the generic route once again.

The poll on the left came from Anna's article, the poll on the right was a screen shot from Fox9.  Bridging this divide is a must for a new brand.

Poll on left:
http://www.inforum.com/news/3885425-decades-long-debate-ends-new-und-nickname-revealed

Polls.png

2 minutes ago, GLABS said:

The poll on the left came from Anna's article, the poll on the right was a screen shot from Fox9.  Bridging this divide is a must for a new brand.

Poll on left:
http://www.inforum.com/news/3885425-decades-long-debate-ends-new-und-nickname-revealed

Polls.png

Using unscientific internet polls as marketing research doesn't actually prove a lot. Especially when one of them is from the day of the announcement and the other is from a television station in Minneapolis, about 325 miles away from Grand Forks, and the home of a rival school in a major sport.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Using unscientific internet polls as marketing research doesn't actually prove a lot. Especially when one of them is from the day of the announcement and the other is from a television station in Minneapolis, about 325 miles away from Grand Forks, and the home of a rival school in a major sport.

Use any scientific polling you want today, next month or next year and you get similar results.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

They should do the poll about 5 years from now when a new logo is born and in 5 years of use, and when all UND teams has had a chance to embrace it (football, volleyball hasn't had their chance at it), and I bet those numbers will be changed a lot. 

Don't get me wrong...these concepts are great.  I really like both directions (university wouldn't touch the first one with the feathers representing a head dress), but it's some quality work.

i just wondered why.  Why go through the time and effort knowing that it's not going to even be on the table...or that you wouldn't want to deal with difficult situation.  

Since they said they had developed concepts for other teams thathad to develop new logos, i wonder if these logos were originally developed and not used for another project.  (Which is all good...good work is still good work)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

They should do the poll about 5 years from now when a new logo is born and in 5 years of use, and when all UND teams has had a chance to embrace it (football, volleyball hasn't had their chance at it), and I bet those numbers will be changed a lot. 

nope

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It's simple... get the support from a group of people that are supporting their logos.... get twitter follows/mentions, facebook comments/shares, IG posts.... retweet, share, repost.... "HEY look at the potential new FH logo! These are sweet! I'd TOTALLY be on board if they looked like this!" .... exposure of brand.... $$$

Well done, GLABS.

This... They are building their brand and portfolio... All of us here are building the brand just by talking about it... Pretty simple concept

I actually really like the Thunderbird logo... 

It is unique.  The Fighting Sioux Name and logo were unique and amazing.  The F'n Hawks is not unique... However the Thunderbird logo that this guy put together is very cool.  I would buy a hat with that circle logo for sure... Also, just to have something that isn't like every other Hawk, Eagle, Falcon, whatever...

1 hour ago, FBAlum said:

I actually really like the Thunderbird logo... 

It is unique.  The Fighting Sioux Name and logo were unique and amazing.  The F'n Hawks is not unique... However the Thunderbird logo that this guy put together is very cool.  I would buy a hat with that circle logo for sure... Also, just to have something that isn't like every other Hawk, Eagle, Falcon, whatever...

The problem is that the Thunderbird is often considered Native American imagery. The NCAA does not allow Native American imagery of any kind. The NCAA would have major issues with a school using a Thunderbird logo.

39 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

The problem is that the Thunderbird is often considered Native American imagery. The NCAA does not allow Native American imagery of any kind. The NCAA would have major issues with a school using a Thunderbird logo.

I call bull$%!#. The Bison is a considered a sacred animal to native americans. No problems there. The Seawolf is native american imagery. No problem there.

1 hour ago, chicofelipe said:

I call bull$%!#. The Bison is a considered a sacred animal to native americans. No problems there. The Seawolf is native american imagery. No problem there.

What's the matter with native american imagery anyway.  Does any particular tribe have a right to that imagery?  If Florida State, etc. can still use logos based on getting permission from the tribe, then who owns the rights to what imagery?  Who owns the right to a totem pole, a bison, bird feathers etc.   I am sure there are Native American schools that are using imagery that is tied with American symbols.  Should we be offended by that and call for it to stop.  No, because it is all just plain ludicrous.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, chicofelipe said:

Wow. what an idiotic statement.  There is no policy banning the use of "animals Native Americans deem to be sacred" by the NCAA.  We are talking about specific native american imagery.  The symbol of the Thunderbird that they used is one that is specifically tied to Native Americans. The designer even said that.  Google "native american thunderbird" and you can see for yourself.  You are really reaching here!!