SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS @ DU - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Judas.  Relax.  The team hasn't taken 2 in Denver since 2003.  That includes names like Parise, Bochenski, Toews, Osh, Duncan, Fratts, Malone, Genoway. 

Chill the hell out.  We've lost 4 freakin games this year.  Best it happens now then in March when a loss ends it all.  CBS will get it their timing back and our D is rarely going to be that piss poor.

Go SIOUX!

• Upvote 2

My take... we didn't play great, but for long stretches of the game, showed our ability to control play with speed and heavy forecheck. CBS lacked a bit of their dynamic play at times, but still scored twice and had a couple of assists. Cam didn't play poorly, but never made a really big, game-changing save like he has many times this year.

We always get our opponents best game, every night and DU elevated theirs a bit past ours, yet, it took an ENG to put us away on the road against a highly-talented team.

We'll be fine. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Goon said:

4 and 6 had a very tough night tonight. Luke Johnson also had a rough night, L.J. was a -4. 

Luke's defense and skating as a center were exposed with the speed of play last night vs a quality team....but he got lots of help in racking up a -4. Others played much worse. #4 is getting tough to watch. He seems to lack any fire and is not playing anywhere near his talent. #6 did have a rough night but he'll be better tonight.

My guess is LJ goes to a wing and Sanderson is tonight's 4th centermen and if Shaw plays it can't be for Wolanin.

I thought #19 was really good and Colton got better as the game went on. JJ and Olson sit with Wilke in tonight.

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Not a hockey mind but wondering what are the odds statistically of winning when you give up a shorty and an ENG. Maybe Jim can crunch some numbers on that. ;)

Giving up an eng is 0, if you aren't BU and Miami in a championship game

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, brianvf said:

That means UND blocked 8 shots and DU blocked 27.
Which means that the UND had 72 shot attempts with 41 being saved, 27 being blocked, and 4 goals.
While DU had 39 shot attempts with 25 being saved, 8 being blocked, and 6 goals.
Posts not included.

Thank you. I think this is a pretty decent silver lining to last night. I didn't get to watch but everyone is saying we didn't play too well and yet we doubled up the shot attempt on a very good Denver team. If the defense plays like they are capable of tonight, we will come out with a split.

7 hours ago, brianvf said:

That means UND blocked 8 shots and DU blocked 27.
Which means that the UND had 72 shot attempts with 41 being saved, 27 being blocked, and 4 goals.
While DU had 39 shot attempts with 25 being saved, 8 being blocked, and 6 goals.
Posts not included.

Wouldn't shots off posts be counted in "shot attempts"?

Was at the game last night.  Another fantastic Sioux fan turnout.  The Let's Go Sioux chant drowned out Denver's starting lineup intro.  The PA announcer sounded like he was mocking us every time he said "Fighting Hawks."  Great last 5 minutes.  If everyone can give 75% the effort that #2 brings on every shift this team will be lifting some hardware in April.  That kid is a stud and his motor is always running.  We obviously had a tough time containing DU's top line.  I think that gets corrected and we bounce back tonight.  I like this team but then again, I like our team every year.  GO SIOUX!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Would like to see Johnson moved to RW, maybe something like this.  The D needs to tighten things up, Thompson and Ladue both had tough nights.

Caggiula - Schmaltz - Boeser

Chyzyk - Simonson - Poganski

Gersich - Gardner - Johnson

Janatuinen - Sanderson - St Clair

Had the better of the play for most of the game and at times dominated offensively. I thought one of the big differences in the game was DU's goalie came up with a couple big stops while Cam was solid but didn't really come up with anything big. LaDue and Thompson had a really tough night. A couple of DU goals were just the direct result of being a little lackadaisical in d-zone coverage and getting caught puck watching which hasn't happened much at all this season. I could see Shaw coming in for Thompson tonight other than that I'm not sure I'd make any changes maybe Wilkie for JJ. I really liked the way Gersich, Olson, and St. Clair each played last night so I would hope they all stay in. Clean up a few things and come away with the split tonight.