SiouxSports.com Forum

MSU UND Rivalry aka Bakken/Power Bowl

KWCAT

Howdy!

This KWCAT from MSU. I want to introduce myself and welcome you to a discussuion here and on Bobcat Nation.

A thread has been started there on our rivalry. I welcome all who want to come and discuss the subject there as well as here.

As a MonDak native who was recruited(years ago) to UND for football, and with many family ties in Badlands, I like the idea of promoting the annual contest to a bigger event status.

Bubba has you guys on the right track.

Here's the link.  http://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=37713 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It's not a rivalry yet. I think we are closer to the Griz and PSU being rivals. The games have been too friendly with the Cats.

As UND starts beating these teams you will see something develop.   You could see how much the loss bothered MSU last year.   Other teams and canvases have to feel threatened before they take interest in the Hawks. 

28 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I do not necessarily agree with you. The last couple games against MSU have been good ball games with some drama. 

But rivalry type drama? PSU: first game we got their d coordinator fired, second game was a defensive battle, third game was another defensive battle with us stopping them on the last play for like the 3 yard line, and this year was a great slobber knocker of a game and we tainted their record. Montana: us passing for 10000 yards on them, them blowing our doors off and going for two when up huge late in the game, then we knock out their golden boy rapist qb and all the other drama at the end of that one, then they blow our secondary apart with a third string QB. The Griz fans think we're a dirty team and below them. And PSU is always a good hard game. That's why they're our rivals in the big sky right now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

But rivalry type drama? PSU: first game we got their d coordinator fired, second game was a defensive battle, third game was another defensive battle with us stopping them on the last play for like the 3 yard line, and this year was a great slobber knocker of a game and we tainted their record. Montana: us passing for 10000 yards on them, them blowing our doors off and going for two when up huge late in the game, then we knock out their golden boy rapist qb and all the other drama at the end of that one, then they blow our secondary apart with a third string QB. The Griz fans think we're a dirty team and below them. And PSU is always a good hard game. That's why they're our rivals in the big sky right now.

Agree 1000%, but Montana didn't think we'd win until we busted their chops and they wanted it this year.  Gotta think the same for MSU this upcoming year.  They were not happy.  Seems some fun things are developing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Trophy game? 

I think we need a name and a trophy.

Not a huge fan of the Bakken Bowl name just because it is only part of the Williston Basin. Maybe Power Bowl, Border Bowl, Prairie Bowl....

Then a trophy to match.

The Missouri River starts in the Gallatin Valley and encompasses much of ND.

5 minutes ago, KWCAT said:

I think we need a name and a trophy.

Not a huge fan of the Bakken Bowl name just because it is only part of the Williston Basin. Maybe Power Bowl, Border Bowl, Prairie Bowl....

Then a trophy to match.

The Missouri River starts in the Gallatin Valley and encompasses much of ND.

Since the Red River goes North in ND and the Missouri flows South, The River Divide?

On February 6, 2016 at 5:08 PM, geaux_sioux said:

The guys close to the Griz program were told they were resting a bunch of players when we took them to the wire in the Alerus.  Griz don't respect our program.....