SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

23 minutes ago, Rick said:

I can't imagine it would affect recruiting.  I'm sure if you tell any recruit that if he comes to the University of North Dakota he'll be able to play against schools like Southern Illinois, Illinois State, Missouri State, Youngstown State, Western Illinois, USD, SDSU, Northern Iowa, NDSU and that he'll be able to travel to some of the most scenic cities in the upper Midwest like Macomb, Brookings, Carbondale, Cedar Falls, Springfield, Vermillion, Normal, Youngstown & Fargo.....He'll say "wow, where do I sign up." :0

This, as opposed to, having to try and sell a recruit on playing against schools like the University of Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington University, Sacramento State, Idaho State, Portland State, University of California-Davis, Cal Poly University, Southern Utah, Weber State, Northern Colorado, Northern Arizona, and soon the University of Idaho and he'll have to fly to destinations like Portland, OR; Missoula, Cheney, WA; Davis, CA; Pocatello, Bozeman, Flagstaff, AZ; Greeley, CO; Sacramento and San Luis Obispo, CA.  There's no question that Youngstown, Brookings, Vermillion, Normal and Fargo are going to win out every time.  :silly:

And then, if you're the University of North Dakota president, why would you ever want to be associated with other institutions that have top medical, engineering and law schools when you can hook up with schools that offer some of the top "junior college" type academic programs in the country?

I suspect that the recruits rated as the #2 class in the Big Sky signed up with Bubba because they knew these amazing changes were on the horizon and they are all pumped that they don't have to board a plane to warm weather locations in Arizona and California like San Luis Obispo or look at that big "M" on the mountains overlooking the 25,000 fans in the seats of Washington-Grizzly stadium. 

This would be like University of Minnesota football leaving the Big 10 so they can take bus trips to play the MNSCU schools. 

Yeah, you're right its the exact same thing  ... SMH

3 hours ago, Rick said:

I can't imagine it would affect recruiting.  I'm sure if you tell any recruit that if he comes to the University of North Dakota he'll be able to play against schools like Southern Illinois, Illinois State, Missouri State, Youngstown State, Western Illinois, USD, SDSU, Northern Iowa, NDSU and that he'll be able to travel to some of the most scenic cities in the upper Midwest like Macomb, Brookings, Carbondale, Cedar Falls, Springfield, Vermillion, Normal, Youngstown & Fargo.....He'll say "wow, where do I sign up." :0

This, as opposed to, having to try and sell a recruit on playing against schools like the University of Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington University, Sacramento State, Idaho State, Portland State, University of California-Davis, Cal Poly University, Southern Utah, Weber State, Northern Colorado, Northern Arizona, and soon the University of Idaho and he'll have to fly to destinations like Portland, OR; Missoula, Cheney, WA; Davis, CA; Pocatello, Bozeman, Flagstaff, AZ; Greeley, CO; Sacramento and San Luis Obispo, CA.  There's no question that Youngstown, Brookings, Vermillion, Normal and Fargo are going to win out every time.  :silly:

And then, if you're the University of North Dakota president, why would you ever want to be associated with other institutions that have top medical, engineering and law schools when you can hook up with schools that offer some of the top "junior college" type academic programs in the country?

I suspect that the recruits rated as the #2 class in the Big Sky signed up with Bubba because they knew these amazing changes were on the horizon and they are all pumped that they don't have to board a plane to warm weather locations in Arizona and California like San Luis Obispo or look at that big "M" on the mountains overlooking the 25,000 fans in the seats of Washington-Grizzly stadium. 

This would be like University of Minnesota football leaving the Big 10 so they can take bus trips to play the MNSCU schools. 

Will definitely not help with recruiting.  Big Sky gives UND a selling point over MOO U.  Any chance UND stays in BIG SKY for football only?

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, SIOUXHAWK47 said:

Will definitely not help with recruiting.  Big Sky gives UND a selling point over MOO U.  Any chance UND stays in BIG SKY for football only?

There's a chance UND stays in the Big Sky for everything. Conference move is not a done deal at this point. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rick said:

Wow, that's quite the stretch. Good for you to be able to come to that conclusion ...

I didn't realize how many UND fans and alumni had quietly become Big Sky Conference employees or promotional agents over the past 5 years. I understand sticking up for UND's current conference, but this level of blind support is borderline illogical. 

3 hours ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

I wish UND would market to us fans in western ND, where games against Montana and Montana State mean something and are often times a close drive then any MVFC games outside of fargo and possible brookings.  There is a large, untapped fan base in western ND (or at least the potential for one).  

I understand what you're saying, but you can't blame the university for emphasizing the region where the school is actually located, can you? 

The I-29 connect between UND, NDSU, SDSU, and USD for conference games brings back the good ol' days and I'm all for it. 

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Scheduling is strange within the Big Sky Conference. Also, the BSC officiating crews are awful. Just two quick reasons that the BSC is less than ideal in my opinion. The MVFC is a superior conference for UND. 

Bison fans complain constantly about the officiating  in the MVFC as well

3 hours ago, SIOUXHAWK47 said:

While I agree that it won't help recruiting in some cases, I know that we have lost some good recruits (in various sports) as they wanted to play more games in front of parents, grandparents, girlfriends, etc.  While most parents truly want their kids to make their own decisions, a few do put various levels of pressure on their kids to play in the MVFC so they can drive to most every game.  

38 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

While I agree that it won't help recruiting in some cases, I know that we have lost some good recruits (in various sports) as they wanted to play more games in front of parents, grandparents, girlfriends, etc.  While most parents truly want their kids to make their own decisions, a few do put various levels of pressure on their kids to play in the MVFC so they can drive to most every game.  

I would also think playing more local teams closer to home would help more than it would hurt recruiting. 

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

Nope was referring to this fall. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

That would be cool if he was going to come in for spring ball though. not sure how that works, but that kind of stuff is huge for getting these kids ready to play and compete at the next level. show commitment too.

9 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

That would be cool if he was going to come in for spring ball though. not sure how that works, but that kind of stuff is huge for getting these kids ready to play and compete at the next level. show commitment too.

If we announce a conference move, does that change McKinney's mind on where he plays college football?

34 minutes ago, tnt said:

If we announce a conference move, does that change McKinney's mind on where he plays college football?

Maybe. Maybe not. Could be, because I believe he is from Washington, but I'd like to think if he was already willing to come all the way to ND for college, that may not affect his thinking. If he like the school, campus, facilities, coaches, players, etc. before, then he should still like those same attributes now.

Not like UND would be moving to the pioneer leage, we all know the MVFC is a very respectable conference to play in. 

I guess it all depends on the kid.

10 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Just went through Dom Izzo's FCS Football Chat and they mentioned a rumor of Johannesson transferring here. Anyone hear anything about this?

The big Bison fan at work was mentioning that.  I presume he heard about from the Dom Izzo chat as well.  I have found no confirmation of that anywhere on the internet.

10 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Just went through Dom Izzo's FCS Football Chat and they mentioned a rumor of Johannesson transferring here. Anyone hear anything about this?

really? I would have though if he was going to transfer, it would be to NDSU as his uncle played there, and the Bison lose Frazier and Morlock this year. He'd be a good addition though. 

46 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Did he redshirt at Minnesota?  How many years would he have left if he transferred?